+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: director manipulation and participant pay (SPOILER on what the prize is)

FORT Regular

director manipulation and participant pay (SPOILER on what the prize is)

Hopefully this deserves its own thread. If not, please move to wherever you think appropriate.

I have a new theory that some of the participants' despicable behavior might be, let's say, "enhanced" by financial incentive.

In the Zack thread, CharlaFan helpfully posted these two links to radio interviews. Thanks CharlaFan!

Zack: http://www.949zht.com/music/interviews/ (scroll down and look for Zack.)

Toni: http://www.steveanddc.com/audiohighlights.asp (aired Aug 20)

Now I just listened to them, and they provided some interesting info. We all know that the participants are directed by the producers, but here's some specifics. Zach stated clearly that he and others were encouraged to act in certain ways (not that I'm defending his obnoxiousness in any way!) Specifically, he mentioned that they encouraged him to be very confrontational with Keith. He also said that they direct the guys to be confrontational with other guys during the now-retired satellite guest selection ceremonies, and for the girls to be welcoming to new men. (Can we assume the reverse is true when the candidates were women? I remember Tara saying "that tattoo on your bootylicious is so not original" to Holly, which seemed out of character for her.)

Toni, in her interview, confirmed that one can get paid as much as $15K for appearances on various reality shows, and she added, "Sometimes you can make more." Something about the way she said that really caught my ear...

I wonder if -- in addition to being directed on how to act -- if they are also offered extra money as an incentive, if they are reluctant to go along with it? I mean, Zack sounded very contrite on the interview, saying he wanted to make up for acting like he did, yada yada yada. Seems a strange contrast to what we saw Monday and Wednesday. What if they offered him EXTRA money to come back and act like a complete jerk, even more than before?

I thought Toni and Zack both sounded amazingly sane and cogent in these interviews. We often wonder how they could live with their own behavior. Could money be the incentive?

It also makes me remember a clip of Amy, I think it was in confessional, saying "I'm Toni now" (after Toni left, of course). Now I had already thought that very same thing, but it was interesting that she was also aware of it. I assumed the director TOLD her she was now Toni/drama queen of Paradise. Several have noted she didn't act nearly this bad before Zach and Toni left.

Obviously, Amy is more of an asset to the show (in the producers' eyes) than, say, Holly or Tom. They might be willing to pay her more than originally contracted, to have her play it to to the hilt.

*SPOILER AHEAD* On another subject -- Toni revealed what the prize is as she understands it. You could either "stay in Paradise till you're old and gray," or trade that in for cash. She speculated several hundred thousand to a million.

Hug me!
    Quote Originally Posted by flotsette
    *SPOILER AHEAD* On another subject -- Toni revealed what the prize is as she understands it. You could either "stay in Paradise till you're old and gray," or trade that in for cash. She speculated several hundred thousand to a million.
    what ? that's stupid.. so.. are they suppose to raise their family there the whole life.. and have their kids go to Paradise hotel high ?
    "Charla is intelligent and beautiful and I just felt really stupid for picking ... for, you know... liking someone that wasn't available really.. certainly not to me." Quote from Dave (Paradise Hotel).

FORT Fan
    just one question about possible director manipulation. would the other guests not be aware of this manipulation? and if so, why then would they at all take these people seriously knowing that they were paid to look like jackasses?
    "the hurrier i go the behinder i get" - a wise third grade shop teacher

Hmm, I'm really not sure what I think.

Toni was a nutter on Love Cruise, but came across as pretty sane when she was later interviewed on Regis and Kelly.
    Toni is reality tv gold for producers looking for drama, so I can understand why they snapped her up for this show.
    The contestants are leaving their jobs, often for an undetermined length of time, so there obviously has to be some sort of compensation, this is true for many reality shows..
    Whether or not they would pay people extra to act in a particular way, I'm not sure,
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=flotsette]
    I have a new theory that some of the participants' despicable behavior might be, let's say, "enhanced" by financial incentive.

QUOTE]

That's very interesting, Flotsette. I feel kind of naive now, thinking that the show wouldn't do that in a REALITY program. That would explain a lot to me as far as how DCKT are reacting to the visitors behavior. Maybe they are paying Charla to act crazy. I mean that whole Wizard of Oz thing was WAY out there. And the whole how well you can hear a mosquito... and talking about her Halloween costumes. HMMMMM.. you have me thinking now.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_of_205
    what ? that's stupid.. so.. are they suppose to raise their family there the whole life.. and have their kids go to Paradise hotel high ?
    I think toni was joking about staying in paradise till you die although if that was offered it sort of would be a joke gift like on the simpson where bart won a radio contest and had a choice between $10,000 or an elephant.

That Wizard of Oz thing was pretty strange.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Rock Star
    I'll take the elephant, please!

I think I'll call him Stampy.
    di

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ckeryj0nes
    just one question about possible director manipulation. would the other guests not be aware of this manipulation? and if so, why then would they at all take these people seriously knowing that they were paid to look like jackasses?
    Well, they're all being manipulated and directed, so yes, they all know. But they might not necessarily know what the directors said to what guest.

fluff, obviously they deserve some compensation. But the way she said "SOMETIMES you can make more" was what got me thinking this. Maybe I'm reading way too much into this.

(Toni mentioned she's doing reality shows to avoid having to work! So it's doubtful that she has a meaningful career that she's taking time off from.)

ruben, you might be right that she was joking. Obviously, no one would WANT to take that prize after being put through hell there.

Nope sorry! Thats not the prize obviously because its on their contract that they cannnot announce who wins, what happens next, or the prize. Another thing about their "interviews," if you do something stupid on television and dont recognize it till you see it you try and make up for it. Which both of them are now doing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast