+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: director manipulation and participant pay (SPOILER on what the prize is)

Scripting may be part of what's going on but I still think that the main reason is copious amounts of alcohol. I think they get these people as close to wasted as possible and then offer them suggestions on what their reactions should be.

FORT Fogey
    [QUOTE=flotsette]
    We also definitely agree that they are heavily manipulated. /QUOTE]

And producer manipulation is nothing new on "reality" TV. Another great example is Heidi & Jenna of Survivor stripping down to their bare ass-ets and then almost immediately jumping into the water and thus ending their participation in the Immunity Challenge...I remmeber saying to myself "Why did they do that other than for the shock value?" Its not like they tried to do it to get their competetors to quit because they didnt allow any time, they stripped, they swam.

Add to that the fact that just prior to their striptease, Jenna said to Heidi "Alright Heidi, you ready to do this?" ...So they obviously were told what the challenge was going to be and also likely given the "suggestion" that it might be good if they stripped down to their buster browns and they had actually discussed what they might do beforehand.

But I'm sorry, I digress, this is a PH board not a Survivor board. I was just trying to note other areas of producer influence on the actions of the contestants.

But it is a means to an end and it keeps out interest levels up. I knoq I will be watching tonite. :-)

FORT Newbie
    I've thought about what the prize might be. Based on the fact that these bozos are in a luxury hotel with their every need catered to, I don't think the prize can be too high. Sure...they experience some emotional distress, but let's be real. They're not stranded in the middle of nowhere with no shelter and little food, like survivor, so I don't see anyone deserving a million dollar prize. Of course, it's a little more intense and drawn out than the $50K purse of Fear Factor. On the other hand, though, there's not really a whole lot of cerebral competition going on about playing the game. Actually, there are only a couple people in the hotel who are making strategic moves. The rest are just reacting on emotion, or else they're stupid. Anyway, my point is that we're not talking about a very difficult competition. The basis of the show is much more the DRAMA than the STRATEGY. There are other prizes other than money, I guess. I remember once on The Real World, they all got cars in the end. I can't see the show making the grand prize an all expense paid trip to where ever...wouldn't you be tired of the vacation time by now? Long story short, I can't see the prize being anything more than $100k-$250K split between the winning couple. Or else maybe nice cars. Who really deserves a prize after being on this show, anyway?

Also, there's surely manipulation going on behind the scenes. Zackass indicated this during his interview. But what we saw on camera was actually what happened, and it doesn't matter what was edited and how, you can't turn some of that stuff into anything positive. If you acted like an ass, you were probably an ass.

Alcohol plays a big part in this show. How else could you get so much drama? It's just like these spring break bikini contests that I used to watch on the beaches while in Cancun. They would get these girls trashed back stage and by the end of the contest it was no longer a bikini contest but a soft core t&a show. My point being that alcohol is a big PLAYER in this game.

I've always thought the prize was the hotel itself. And after listening to Toni's radio interview where she said they could "stay in paradise forever" or trade the prize for cash, I really think that is it. Keep the house or take a cash payout.

Personally, I'd take the house, bring some of my REAL friends down, have a big party, and sell the damn thing!!!

FORT Fan
    manipulated, but not contrived.

the conversations may be instigated producers, but i doubt they are scripted. i think the interactions between the people are real (in terms of how they deal with others) but that the rules of the game are manipulated for ratings and to gaurantee the best possible story line.
    "the hurrier i go the behinder i get" - a wise third grade shop teacher

FORT Fogey
    I have a feeling the producers manipulate stuff as well as far as how things progress. I can only hope somebody said that it looks like DCKT will have a cakewalk to the final so we have to put in a "twist" that will make it seem harder and add drama, only to have them overcome it.........somehow.

FORT Newbie
    Anyone who reads this thread should be watching Bravo's 'Reality of Reality' series. The first episode was rather interesting and discussed some of the manipulation that occurs on these shows.

After watching the returning guests behavior I kind of wondered about possible manipulation. Some people I expected it from but not as many. I just got a feeling they might have been proded by the producers of the show. And weren't both Desiree and Tom not chosen their first time to come on the island? Seems someone wanted them there.

I know there's a certain amount of manipulation that comes with shows like this but Paradise Hotel they just seemed to have raised the bar a little too high. I'll admit they've hooked me so far but I'm not sure if I'll make it through the rest. And I'm definitely not watching it next summer.

And Holly's decision on the "Man" AND "Woman" was a bit too coincidental I think.... and for her to choose melanie over the other girl, knowing full well Scott could turn on her with a snap of the fingers, that to me is kind of stupid and I don't think Holly is a stupid girl at all..... FOX people buys her off for the show's plot IMO

FORT Newbie
    The most worthwhile prize for all of these guests would be a one-on-one with Dr. Phil.

Some like Toni, Zack, Amy, Kristin may need more than one session to "de-tox".

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Anyone who reads this thread should be watching Bravo's 'Reality of Reality' series. The first episode was rather interesting and discussed some of the manipulation that occurs on these shows.

After watching the returning guests behavior I kind of wondered about possible manipulation. Some people I expected it from but not as many. I just got a feeling they might have been proded by the producers of the show. And weren't both Desiree and Tom not chosen their first time to come on the island? Seems someone wanted them there.

I know there's a certain amount of manipulation that comes with shows like this but Paradise Hotel they just seemed to have raised the bar a little too high. I'll admit they've hooked me so far but I'm not sure if I'll make it through the rest. And I'm definitely not watching it next summer.
    Well before Desiree came on, there was a big controversy about no black people being on the show. I don't know for certain, but I have a feeling that Fox may have been pressured to bring on a minority to appease some of the viewers. I remember the day after she got on, there were 9000 threads on the Fox boards about "finally, a black girl!" and it got really ugly. I was just thinking the whole time I was reading post after post of racial insults "Who cares who gets on? These people are all losers anyway (except for Keith)."

But with all that aside, I think the show is at least partially scripted. Like when Alex was in Beau and Amanda's room, and Beau came walking back to the room, and Alex got out the door and around the corner right before Beau saw him. Does anyone think that wasn't scripted? The timing was just too perfect. Plus, Zack said in his radio interview that the guests are "encouraged" to act certain ways at certain times.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast