The editors/producers of this show are absolutely brilliant.
Oh yes, I know they are manipulating things to make
story arcs and such but I do enjoy their manipulations so.
Let me tell you the ways:
- the way they never fail to put in the black a white memory clip
when someone is talking baloney now and the truth on tape is clear. (Zack kissing
other girls and Amy yelling drama, Alex stealing 1000, etc.)
- the angle changes during conversation as each person talks using different room cams
(Dave and Amy talking on the bed in last night showed this easily)
- the facial expressions of reactions are zoomed in and watched carefully.
(Even if it was an expression from a different thing, the viewer can't tell
the difference and it seems so natural)
(Watching the expressions of Dave when he was watching Keith and Charla frolic.
(Watching the expressions of Amanda when Beau showed up, the cameras watched for
those carefully and didn't miss the subtle stuff when the main action
would have been on Beau/Kristen showing up.
(Holly's reaction when Melanie and Scott are hugging)
- the voice overs of the guests are given at the right time, you never hear the announcer except in commercial breaks.
- the misdirections in editing:
(Keith says "I am done" and is show packing his bags)
(Tara tells Dave she "wants Charla gone" )
- Editing of Dave playing tennis against others was fast and action packed
with the right music for the mood.
- Tonight, they showed the original people partying, and Beau and Amy screaming dominance,
then you could hear in the background the ominous "party" noises, while Amanda
was telling the Keith/Charla/Tara alliance that she was scared for them. Brilliant.
- I have hardly ever seen a camera man on the show, but
tonight (Sept 1) I finally saw a boom microphone GIRL behind
the original guests while they all met again when Beau and Kristen showed.
- in the charla crying in the bathroom with Tara, you could still zoom in to see
a single eye of her reactions as she seemed to try to hide her weakness
from the cameras. Even while Dave's arm was in front of the camera.
- How after Dave sang the song to the girls of paradise, they actually added in background
music that was in tune and in time to his song. Incredible. They seem to get
the music just right for many scenes.
- Dave and Charla interactions, where like Charla says "you know I care about you"
Dave says -nothing-. Dave says "give me a hug" in the bathroom, Charla just ignores him.
(The editors could have easily cut out the reaction that may have occurred, we would never
Tell me scenes you remember where the editors did a great job with the story. There are so many.
Someone help me with the editing that was done at the beginning too,
like with Toni and Alex throwing up. Or Casino night, or Toga night, etc.
I remember there was a brilliant editing scene where Beau or Scott was walking
back to his room and his room had another guy making out with his roomate
and was it Alex or the guitar player said "we have to stop, your roommate will be back"
and slipped out of the room only seconds before the other guy came back in not knowing
the wiser. It was awesome editing showing that sequence.
Anyone have more?