+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: 08/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Look out here I come!!!! jodimax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    I like Keith. Like his strategy, etc, but his semi-buggy eyes make me think of a Furby every time I see him.
    :stupid Finally now I know what he remided me of!! Granted I am pretty fond of looking at him but I can see the Furby connection..

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by HulaEngr
    I thought the song was hokey, insulting, and unnecessary. Just like Dave. The sooner Dave is gone, the better. I haven't liked him from day one. Sorry all you Dave fanz, but that's my two cents.
    Dave is an annoying dork, no doubt, but I feel his pain with the whole Charla thing (he shoots... OH MY, WHAT A REJECTION! FRONT UPPER HULL, DEFLECTION! So much for your 37mm gun, Dave. Get a 75 like the other boys. For those who don't get that, it's a WWII reference. Sorry about that, but I just got done playing Combat Mission so I'm still in grog mode). I won't be upset if he doesn't win, but I won't be thrilled if he does win, either. He's just bungled the whole representation of us dorks, IMHO. I could have done a much better job at representing the dork minority. OK, maybe not TOO much better, but still better.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

FORTified with Vitamin D solacean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Dave is an annoying dork, no doubt, but I feel his pain with the whole Charla thing (he shoots... OH MY, WHAT A REJECTION! FRONT UPPER HULL, DEFLECTION! So much for your 37mm gun, Dave. Get a 75 like the other boys.
    I'm with you on that one too - you've got an old Avalon Hill "Tobruk" fan here. Gawd I miss that game, and just wish there was something like it on the PC. (What I know about Combat Mission tells me that it is a little more "first person" than what I'm talking about ... give me a CM with a fixed, top-down unit commander view and I'd probably never come up for air.)

Sheesh, you've gotta stop reading my mind YA. Let's see ... a grognard who identifies to some extent with PH-Dave's dorkhood and rejection ... could it be? My long lost brother?? HEY BRO!!

Quote Originally Posted by solacean
    I'm with you on that one too - you've got an old Avalon Hill "Tobruk" fan here. Gawd I miss that game, and just wish there was something like it on the PC. (What I know about Combat Mission tells me that it is a little more "first person" than what I'm talking about ... give me a CM with a fixed, top-down unit commander view and I'd probably never come up for air.)

Sheesh, you've gotta stop reading my mind YA. Let's see ... a grognard who identifies to some extent with PH-Dave's dorkhood and rejection ... could it be? My long lost brother?? HEY BRO!!

You might like the Close Combat or Campaign Series then. Top down, brigade/batallion commander view. CM is great for me since I love the squad/platoon level. Playing a random battle as a German PZIIIH commander right now (hence the 37mm reference in my earlier post. Damn that door-knocker! Hiding from T-34s is no fun at all. But at least I have the infantry as a decoy so I can get a flank shot.. hehehehehe).

Anyway, Dave is just like the Germans on the Eastern Front, 1941-42. Totally outgunned, but better experience. Charla and Keith are the T-34's that led the Germans to develop the Panther and Tiger. I just hope our boy Dave can be as resourceful. He's got the intelligence, no doubt. I just hope he won't let his feelings get in the way of any decision he might make.

Keep the alliance, Dave.

FORTified with Vitamin D solacean's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    You might like the Close Combat or Campaign Series then. Top down, brigade/batallion commander view.
    I've got a couple of the Close Combat games. The scale is a bit too small (only a couple of vehicles usually) and the battles too set-piece, as opposed to the maneuvering engagements of 10-30 vehicles that the Tobruk boardgame had (all with that same cool level of "shell type - area hit - deflection or penetration - critical hit" detail for each individual round fired).

Anyway, Dave is just like the Germans on the Eastern Front, 1941-42. Totally outgunned, but better experience.
    On the overall game front I agree. In the romance department, though, Dave is woefully lacking in experience as well as being outgunned ... maybe he is the Polish or the French army (again, of WWII) in the romance department?

Charla and Keith are the T-34's that led the Germans to develop the Panther and Tiger.
    I might elaborate even further to say that Charla is the T-34/76 (the initial stirrings of resistance, but not capable of taking on the tougher opponents), and Keith is the T-34/85 (the later arrival and first really potent resistance that could take on all comers). I.e., Keith has been the Outsiders' "big gun".

Now they just have to hope that Tom/Desiree/Holly/Scott/Amy don't come up with their own version of the PzKwVIb Tiger II ...

I wonder if everyone other than us has already taken to skipping over this tangent of the conversation?

Can I have a sifter to get the PH outta that conversation boys?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by solacean
    I've got a couple of the Close Combat games. The scale is a bit too small (only a couple of vehicles usually) and the battles too set-piece, as opposed to the maneuvering engagements of 10-30 vehicles that the Tobruk boardgame had (all with that same cool level of "shell type - area hit - deflection or penetration - critical hit" detail for each individual round fired).

On the overall game front I agree. In the romance department, though, Dave is woefully lacking in experience as well as being outgunned ... maybe he is the Polish or the French army (again, of WWII) in the romance department?

I might elaborate even further to say that Charla is the T-34/76 (the initial stirrings of resistance, but not capable of taking on the tougher opponents), and Keith is the T-34/85 (the later arrival and first really potent resistance that could take on all comers). I.e., Keith has been the Outsiders' "big gun".

Now they just have to hope that Tom/Desiree/Holly/Scott/Amy don't come up with their own version of the PzKwVIb Tiger II ...

I wonder if everyone other than us has already taken to skipping over this tangent of the conversation?
    I never played Tobruk but I did have this one old boardgame that basically covered the entire war in Europe. But man did that thing take FOREVER to finish. I only ever played it once and it took about 6 months to finish it.

The romance department, Dave and I are on the same level. Polish Army, '39. At least the French had decent tanks (those BI's were monsters compared to the German PZIII's), but were poorly led.

Tom/Des/Scott/Holly/Amy haven't even invented the Panther yet (much less the Königstiger), and hopefully they won't. That 88 mm gun is nasty.

Duxxy, don't mind us. Just a couple of old wargamers shop talking here.

+ Reply to Thread