+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TV Review: Paradise Hotel

TV Review: Paradise Hotel

TV Review: Paradise Hotel

Thu Jun 19, 9:33 PM ET
    By Barry Garron

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The network that gave you "Temptation Island" and "Love Cruise," reality elimination series in which sexy singles cavort in beach attire before producers who pray they "hook up" to goose the titillation factor, now brings you "Paradise Hotel," another reality elimination series in which, well, you know the rest.

Once more tapping the deep pool of shallow people eager to be exploited before a national audience in exchange for momentary exposure, "Paradise Hotel" gathered six women and five men to an ocean-side resort. (One of them, Toni, turns out to be a retread from Fox's "Love Cruise" of 2001.)

In this game of musical beds, men and women pair off, creating one surplus sexy single. She, in turn, does her best to lure one of the guys away before the week is out. Next week, the woman without a roommate leaves and a new player, a man, is chosen from a Los Angeles studio audience. Subtle, this isn't.

U.K. television personality Amanda Byram is host of this Mentorn production in association with A. Smith & Co. Productions. Exec producers are Tom Gutteridge, Arthur Smith, Kent Weed and Charles Thompson. Plans are to air new episodes at 9 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays until, well, who knows? There's nothing said in Wednesday's opener or on the Fox Web site about ultimate winners or prizes. While this show won't, by itself, lower the average national IQ, it does demonstrate once more just how desperate and derivative the genre has become.

Thanks for posting this, John!

I have to take issue with this critics final statement:

"While this show won't, by itself, lower the average national IQ, it does demonstrate once more just how desperate and derivative the genre has become. "

Personally, I think this show and its format are REFRESHING. This is a much better concept than "The Bachelor/ette" or any of those "1 person gets to choose from 15 of the opposite sex". This is the way it should be...a nearly equal amount of people from each gender mixing it up and getting to actually know each other.

And to say that the "Reality" genre is desparate and derivative? Come on, Sit-coms and TV dramas have all been "derivative" since the 70s. I mean, there are 3 types of dramas--Cop Dramas, Hospital Dramas, and Lawyer dramas. Oh, and I guess these days we can include Teen angst dramas too. And Sitcoms? Seinfeld was the last Sitcom to breath an original breath--and even they went with the typical 2 guys, a girl, and a crazy neighbor concept.

Please!!! Its been said before that there are maybe 10 original ideas in the universe. When you think of it, everything these days is all about "lowest common denominator"....its what drives every company...and broadcast network....to get the approval/ratings from the most attractive demographic.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with the last line of that review.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Well, to each their own!!

Seriously, though....FLOM and Joe M$ are way more "derivative" and desperate! They are both derivative of The Bachelor....which itself is basically derived from the whole "The Prince gets to choose his bride from this list of ladies we deem suitable for him"

You have to excuse me today....I am hanging out at the FoRT trying to avoid the TAR forum because I have yet to watch last nights ep. So I am reading and commenting on a lot of other different threads

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    dobolina, I think you are a genius and I agree with every word of your posts.

Originally posted by dvm
    dobolina, I think you are a genius and I agree with every word of your posts.

I dont know about the genius part(try doofus dork)....but thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread