+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 7/6 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Danger Bunny[/B]]Sometimes I think the East coast must get a different version of these shows than I do, then I remember that I'm terrible at picking up "clues" from women.

What has Marissa done that is so bad? QUOTE]
    The girls got upset because they think Marissa faked a heat stroke, which is IMO ... something that is hard to do. The heat is different in Austrialla than Florida, so she probably didnt take as many preventive measures to avoid the heat stroke, but faking a heat stroke.. cmon you guys.. that just dont happen! She is elbowing others when she is fishing for the right to have one night alone with "Jack", what do you want her to do, catch the fish for them and put it in their baskets.. ... and Ohhh she snucked out for a private moment alone with Jack while the others slept, and as I recalled I didn't see Jack pushing her away. The show she was voted out by her peers because she wasn't a "team player", Jack was in tears and they shared a very private moment.. (One that shows their connection.) and that is why the girls are jealous of Marissa.. because she has the courage to go get what she wants in this competition, which I thought was the name of the game. BTW... I am on the East Coast.. and I think I am watching the same show as you Danger Bunny
    Last edited by canadian_bunny; 07-09-2004 at 02:33 PM.

The 2 "bunnies" posts above are exactly the reasons I was defending Marissa...! I've watched every episode, and I don't remember the host ever mentioning that they had to form a strong TEAM and play nice with the other girls...

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bunny
    (One that shows their connection.) and that is why the girls are jealous of Marissa..
    Exactly, but why are some of the people here down on her? I understand why the women on the show are threatened by her, but what has she done to annoy the viewers? Elbowing the other women out of the way fishing? Imagine that setup with a bunch of guys fishing, Marissa was down right polite in comparison. The other women were just prissy and if they think that was elbowing, they've obviously never watched a hockey game...

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Bunny
    Exactly, but why are some of the people here down on her? I understand why the women on the show are threatened by her, but what has she done to annoy the viewers? Elbowing the other women out of the way fishing? Imagine that setup with a bunch of guys fishing, Marissa was down right polite in comparison. The other women were just prissy and if they think that was elbowing, they've obviously never watched a hockey game...
    I don't understand it either. I guess thats why they wonder why some of us don't like Adrienne. Just everyone has different tastes and opinions.. I guess

FORT Regular

Marissa vs Adrienne

Hi,

This is the first time Iíve ever watched a reality tv show, and the first time Iíve ever posted a comment on the web. Seems Iíve been missing out.

I was really surprised how polarized opinions are about Marissa and Adrienne. People see wildly different things. Hereís what I saw differently from the Marissa camp.
    1) First of all, what's with all the "She doesn't belong" comments. I keep expecting Marissa to break into the Sesame Street song: "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just isn't the same, one of these things doesn't belong here..."
    2) The other girls never accused her of faking sunstroke. All that was said was: ďIím sure she was sick for real, but now I think sheís milking it for all itís worth.Ē
    3) Marissa herself said from the start in a one-on-one interview: ďIím not here to make friends. Iím here to win.Ē Fair enough, but the strategy backfired on her. Even from a purely competitive point of view, itís better strategy to make friends than enemies. Marissa made her own bed.
    4) Being competitive is fine, but thereís such a thing as sportsmanship. Adrienne didnít throw any elbows and still won the fish contest and earned her alone time, fair and square.
    5) Adrienne didnít bully the others into ganging up on Marissa. Their decision was made long before. As soon as they learned they had to vote, five of them said they immediately knew it would be Marissa. (We never heard what Mary was thinking, but perhaps there isnít much to report on that front.)
    6) Adrienne wasnít rude to Marissa. All she said was ďItís time to address what we have to address because I donít like phoniness and I donít like playing games.Ē Whether or not she was looking directly at Marissa, I canít say. Perhaps she was just looking to that side because all the girls were on her right. (Except for Mary, but weíve already established there isnít much going on on that front.) Regardless, itís not like she said: ďSomeone here is a phonyĒ while looking straight at Marissa. She may have been thinking it, but itís not rude to think.
    7) While itís true the choice shouldíve been Jackís, the other girls didnít ask to make the decision, they were forced to. And obviously they were going to vote off the one who had antagonized them. What else were they going to do? Vote off a friend? Did anyone seriously expect them to go: ďOoh, letís keep Marissa. Sheís been a bitch to us, but she has Jack wrapped around her little finger.Ē

Actually, Iím rooting for Cortney. And if theyíre going to start bringing people back, I think it should be Shannon.

p.s. Sorry this post is so long. Guess Iím making up for lost time. Is there a length limit? It didn't say in The Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by kat007
    We never heard what Mary was thinking, but perhaps there isnít much to report on that front.
    Well a big to you kat007!

I like you already with your comment above....

Your comments are welcome here, just know that others are entitled to their opinions too. (I too am rooting for Cortney.)

I don't have anything against Adrienne, she just has the "Bring it On" attitude (you've seen the movie?) and that rubbed some people the wrong way. I personally don't like Marissa ever since she elbowed the other gals so I'm with you on that part. But it is a competition and if she's a go-getter, more power to her. I guess the point is for Vadim/Jack to decide on his own fate, but it seemed that he had the best chemistry with Marissa and maybe the women voted her off on that standpoint, and not JUST her being catty

Excellent first post kat007! Hope you'll stick around.

Welcome to the FORT from a fellow Canuck!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

This is the first time Iíve ever watched a reality tv show, and the first time Iíve ever posted a comment on the web. Seems Iíve been missing out.
    Kat.

I was really surprised how polarized opinions are about Marissa and Adrienne.
    You'll get used to it, most people don't post unless they have strong feelings about something so only the extremes tend to get posted. That's what makes the board so much fun.

2) The other girls never accused her of faking sunstroke. All that was said was: ďIím sure she was sick for real, but now I think sheís milking it for all itís worth.Ē
    The other girls have never experienced heat stroke (it can kill you) and have no idea what they're talking about, they were just being catty .

3) Marissa herself said from the start in a one-on-one interview: ďIím not here to make friends. Iím here to win.Ē Fair enough, but the strategy backfired on her. Even from a purely competitive point of view, itís better strategy to make friends than enemies. Marissa made her own bed.
    In a dating show you don't expect the other women to be voting people off, her strategy was sound until the producers threw in a twist. Then they twisted again and boomeranged her, I think her strategy will work out in the end.

4) Being competitive is fine, but thereís such a thing as sportsmanship. Adrienne didnít throw any elbows and still won the fish contest and earned her alone time, fair and square.
    I don't recall Marissa complaining about Adrienne winning the competition. The fishing competition is where I started to like Marissa, it's a physical competition and she's willing to get physical. It's not like she was out to hurt anyone, two people go for the same fish elbows are going to get in the way.

5) Adrienne didnít bully the others into ganging up on Marissa.
    Yes she did, she's taken charge of the women -- they're all sheep except for Marissa. Adrienne is the clique leader and Marissa is the outsider. It's all very high-school.

6) Adrienne wasnít rude to Marissa. All she said was ďItís time to address what we have to address because I donít like phoniness and I donít like playing games.Ē Whether or not she was looking directly at Marissa, I canít say.
    Adrienne was extremely rude, she was looking directly at Marissa the whole time. It was very obviously directed at her.

Regardless, itís not like she said: ďSomeone here is a phonyĒ while looking straight at Marissa. She may have been thinking it, but itís not rude to think.
    She didn't say it with words, she said it with body language and I don't care what language she used, it was rude. And as I said before, very high-school.

7) While itís true the choice shouldíve been Jackís, the other girls didnít ask to make the decision, they were forced to. And obviously they were going to vote off the one who had antagonized them.
    If they cared in the least about Jack finding his true love they would have set aside their personal feelings and voted off the woman they think is the least compatible.

Actually, Iím rooting for Cortney. And if theyíre going to start bringing people back, I think it should be Shannon.
    I like Cortney too, she's probably the girl I would pick but for Jack I think it's clearly going to be Marissa. And they aren't bringing anyone back, Marissa hasn't left she's just taking a different track at the moment.

p.s. Sorry this post is so long. Guess Iím making up for lost time. Is there a length limit? It didn't say in The Rules.
    That wasn't that long and you were making a bunch of good points. I thought it was a great post -- I don't agree with most of your conclusions and opinions, but that just makes it more interesting to read. If we all agreed with each other it would be very boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Example
    "I don't like her"
    "Me either"
    "I can't stand her"
    "Same here"
    etc.
    Boring...
    Last edited by Danger Bunny; 07-11-2004 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added the words "in" and "and"

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Bunny
    Yes she did, she's taken charge of the women -- they're all sheep except for Marissa. Adrienne is the clique leader and Marissa is the outsider. It's all very high-school.
    I have to agree with kat on this point. None of those girls ever entertained any idea of voting for anyone other than Marissa. The fact that Cortney, Maria, and Natalie voted the same way as Adrienne does not make Adrienne a bully.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Regular
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Very thorough point-by-point rebuttal Danger Bunny. (Are you a lawyer?) You made some good points, but my opinion of Marissa remains the same.Iíd just like to reply to the idea the other girls should be playing matchmaker between Jack and Marissa if they really cared about him. Iím not sure theyíd be doing him any favours: Here Jack, have a ďfish-stealing, self-dehydrating Ďho.Ē (I had to borrow that line, it cracked me up. )
    I have to agree with Qboots:
    I'm just under the impression that Marissa is playing a character when she is with him, but she's being herself around the other girls. So they know the 'real' Marissa, but he doesn't.
    (I havenít figured out how the use the quote thingy yet. I just get the whole post.)
    Iím not convinced sheís sincere about her feelings for Jack. She seems cold and calculating to me. In a newspaper article she was quoted as saying: ďThere was catfighting, but I tried to make friends with everyone and stayed above it.Ē That statement is so hypocritical. By her own admission on camera: ďIím not here to make friends, Iím here to win.Ē Anyone who can blithely contradict herself like that is not to be believed. Also, sheís an aspiring actress. I wouldnít be surprised if sheís in it for a fifteen-minute bout of fame she would like to parlay into a much longer stint in the spotlight. And the only way to get airtime is to get it on with the guy. Otherwise she would be in the background or back home. This, of course, is pure conjecture on my part. But I just donít trust her. If I did, Iíd be rooting for Jack to get the girl of his heartís desire. (Sorry, that last bit sounded like a corny love song: The Girl of His Heartís Desire, by Mariah Carey. ) If she really does love him and he loves her, then more power to them, and hey, I ainít stopping them. And nobody could. Because they can always get together after the show no matter who ďwins.Ē So you canít blame the other girls if it ends up on the rocks as fast as their canoes in episode 2.

Itís kind of fascinating how people perceive the same person in completely different lights.

+ Reply to Thread