+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

Didn't find a thread on my new favorite cooking show. Does anyone else watch this?

It is as FAR from American competition shows as east is from west. They started with 12 home bakers in Great Britain. The competition is set in a tent sent up on an English estate. Each episode requires the bakers to compete in three competitions. They know in advance what they are to make in the first segment (bread, dessert, etc.), and are able to practice at home before the episode is filmed. The second part is comprised of them being given a recipe for something fairly obscure, and they all have to follow the instructions to see who creates the best finished product. The third portion is called "Showstopper" . . . and it never fails to blow me away to see what these folks create.

There are two judges, both of whom are honest, but polite. There are two "announcers" whom the contestants adore (as do I). At the end of each episode, one baker is declared the Star Baker, and one contestant is eliminated. But it's all done with no fake drama, no swearing (looking at you, Gordon Ramsey), and hugs all around for the person going home.

At the end of each episode, I find myself impressed, craving sweets, and smiling.
    aramcobrat, Moontat and woodiedog like this.
    I'm Paula.

FORT Fanatic

Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

Yes I have been watching this show for awhile. My PVR catches when it starts again.

I love Paul and Mary and the two comedian hosts.

The one with the bread was cool. That lion was something else. They always use different flavours over there. Nothing plain like over here in the cooking shows.
    AZChristian and woodiedog like this.

FORT Fanatic

I watch it when I realize it is on. I like how flavor seems to be a bigger factor than how something looks. Some regular folks have got some insane baking skills too.
    Moontat, AZChristian and woodiedog like this.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Didn't find a thread on my new favorite cooking show. Does anyone else watch this?

It is as FAR from American competition shows as east is from west. They started with 12 home bakers in Great Britain. The competition is set in a tent sent up on an English estate. Each episode requires the bakers to compete in three competitions. They know in advance what they are to make in the first segment (bread, dessert, etc.), and are able to practice at home before the episode is filmed. The second part is comprised of them being given a recipe for something fairly obscure, and they all have to follow the instructions to see who creates the best finished product. The third portion is called "Showstopper" . . . and it never fails to blow me away to see what these folks create.

There are two judges, both of whom are honest, but polite. There are two "announcers" whom the contestants adore (as do I). At the end of each episode, one baker is declared the Star Baker, and one contestant is eliminated. But it's all done with no fake drama, no swearing (looking at you, Gordon Ramsey), and hugs all around for the person going home.

At the end of each episode, I find myself impressed, craving sweets, and smiling.
    They only know, and are able to practice beforehand, the showstopper each week, not the first challenge.
    It's a good show isn't it? They had a one season American version with the same male judge (Paul Hollywood), a female judge and Jeff Foxworthy hosting. It didn't do too well in the ratings. There are also other country versions like Australia and Ireland. I like the British one best, though.
    There is also a Great British Sewing Bee that is in the same vein (but sewing challenges, obviously). They've had four seasons and I believe you can still find them on youtube. It is quite enjoyable too and I'd recommend it. They even had a series based on making pottery but I haven't seen that one (Great Pottery Throwdown. They are all called "Great British whatever". The baking show is called The Great British Bakeoff in the UK but they can't use that name in the US because Pillsbury owns the right to the term bakeoff).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I love this show when I catch it. I was talking to someone at work about it and we decided we like it because the contestants aren't really cut throat and for the most part seem to support each other.

FORT Fogey

I caught the first season on PBS but missed last season as it was on too late. I was thrilled to see that they were back to a decent hour this year. Apparently they go home during the week and then come back for a week end of baking. These contestants aren't quite as memorable as some earlier as I said last night that I didn't recall seeing a couple of people in previous shows...oh well, old age.

But I do love it.

FORT Newbie

I discovered this one too on PBS, and am glad it's back for a 3rd season. For the most part, they really do have to know their stuff! On occasion, somebody's who been on top has a horrible week with disastrous bakes, and sometimes somebody who's been squeaking by breaks out with a smash hit. I'm especially intrigued by the technical challenges, because the bakers are given such vague directions about very complex dishes, and if they aren't very knowledgeable and experienced about various baking techniques, it really shows. But the main thing seems to me to be that the contestants really are chosen based on their abilities, including creative flavors and influences, rather than for the dramatic and/or controversial personality styles that dominate so many American competition shows. It's calming, pleasant, entertaining and interesting to watch genuine and nice people who know what they're doing!

FORT Fogey

With all the talk of British cooking being bland, I am surprised at how many different flavors they add to the baked goods.

I just adore this show. I had heard about it but when I was out sick for 2 weeks with pneumonia, I ended up watching a marathon of episodes. Love that everyone is nice to each other, no fighting or nasty language. I also never realized how many cookies, cakes and more there are out there. What talented people!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fanatic

I think it was in season 1 there was a week I thought surely this woman was going home her cake was an absolute mess to look at. It was like half-burned around the edges and falling apart and a total train wreck looking thing but it was one of the judge's favorites. Not really knowing what way they will go based on looks/refinement makes it interesting
    woodiedog likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast