+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

FORT Newbie

Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

My guess is that with replacements the production company will take the opportunity to cut salary spending in half. Perhaps do some product placement with mandatory ingredients.
    The show has a certain charm and dignity, I really hope the appeal of the show isn't killed with greed.
    Arielflies and Fo'Realz? like this.

We'll have to see if PBS or a commercial US station picks up the re-vamped show. If they stray too far off the successful formula, they may not have a market.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fanatic

Mary Berry is also leaving the show but Paul Hollywood is staying Mary Berry to leave Great British Bake Off over Channel 4 move | London Evening Standard

CCL

I like Paul but he is probably my least favourite of the four. I read that in the first season the showrunners wanted more sob stories from the contestants but Mel and Sue balked and said they would leave the show if they went that way. And that also, if one of the contestants is crying in the kitchen, Mel or Sue go over and start swearing so that the film can't be used and the contestant won't be shown at his/her most vulnerable. I worry that the new show will become all about the drama, with contestants with salacious or tragic backstories trotted out to cry on cue and contestants sabotaging one another. But maybe not, maybe it will be ok. At least we have this last/current series to enjoy.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

The fact that they would do that is one reason I love Mel and Sue!!
    aramcobrat and woodiedog like this.
    Wag more, bark less

Well there goes another show.....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I like Paul but he is probably my least favourite of the four. I read that in the first season the showrunners wanted more sob stories from the contestants but Mel and Sue balked and said they would leave the show if they went that way. And that also, if one of the contestants is crying in the kitchen, Mel or Sue go over and start swearing so that the film can't be used and the contestant won't be shown at his/her most vulnerable. I worry that the new show will become all about the drama, with contestants with salacious or tragic backstories trotted out to cry on cue and contestants sabotaging one another. But maybe not, maybe it will be ok. At least we have this last/current series to enjoy.

That's what I luv'ed about the show that it was not about personal drama but about the baking and the positiveness.
    candor likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

FORT Fogey

I read that the BBC is developing another baking show for the three women who would not make the move to their rival station. Hope that happens soon

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    That's what I luv'ed about the show that it was not about personal drama but about the baking and the positiveness.
    Exactly. There is no need whatsover to drag out stale reality TV tropes. I stopped watching the Food Network because its programming became nearly all about the drama, in this case, drama from competition but still.
    woodiedog likes this.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." — George Orwell

FORT Fanatic

There is no reason to revamp the show just because some people are leaving. I assume they see value in it as is or else they could have easily started their own competition and not picked up this show.

+ Reply to Thread