+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 331
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

  1. #321
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    21,654

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    They have a class reunion show every year, and for that particular season Diana said that she was hospitalized with something that prevented her from finishing the GBBO. She really was sick. Ian was eliminated because he threw the whole bake away. That particular bake had different aspects to it (ice cream, sponge, etc) so even though the ice cream went bad there were other things the judges could have tasted. Paul even said "How can we have him stay when he didn't present anything?"

    That episode left a bad taste in my mouth because Diana had no business removing the ice cream and putting it on the counter in the first place, and the fact that she tried to brush it off by saying "Well, you have your own refrigerator!" made me even angrier.
    Maybe he put his stuff in her frig and she needed to use it. I never heard her said anything but in the heat of competition stuff happens. What if she left her stuff out because he took her space in the frig and her stuff melted? We were not there and did not observe everything.
    No goat killers on my island.

  2. #322
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    21,654

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I heard her say that and I too was shocked that she was so rude. That is why I was surprised that she wasn't taken to task....it really was sabotage.
    Oh, now she did it on purpose. You don't know. There are folks running around the entire tent no one has time to think of sabotage they are too busy trying to finish their bakes.
    Arielflies likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

  3. #323
    Unofficial Nomster Rembrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    They have a class reunion show every year, and for that particular season Diana said that she was hospitalized with something that prevented her from finishing the GBBO. She really was sick. Ian was eliminated because he threw the whole bake away. That particular bake had different aspects to it (ice cream, sponge, etc) so even though the ice cream went bad there were other things the judges could have tasted. Paul even said "How can we have him stay when he didn't present anything?"

    That episode left a bad taste in my mouth because Diana had no business removing the ice cream and putting it on the counter in the first place, and the fact that she tried to brush it off by saying "Well, you have your own refrigerator!" made me even angrier.
    Diana did not remove Ian's ice cream from the freezer on purpose, it was accidental and she was flustered when confronted. It was revealed in supplementary material that the ice cream was out of the freezer for about a minute at most, and Diana was not responsible for Ian getting so frustrated that he threw away everything else he had done. And the supplementary material also revealed that the reason Diana got sick and had to leave the competition was precisely because of that incident. See, Diana felt responsible for what happened and the guilt wracked her up so bad that it made her actually become ill. Ian did not blame her at all and he felt bad that she got sick over the whole situation.

    Because of that incident, people blasted Diana on social media and directed a lot of hate at her, unfounded as it was. The same thing happened in the season before it, when a contestant named Deborah accidentally used the custard prepared by another contestant, Howard, on her dessert, so Howard had no choice but to use Deborah's in his. It was an honest mistake, Deborah felt terrible about it and ended up laughing out of sheer guilt and nervousness, as many people are wont to do in such situations because they don't know how else to cope, and in the end the incident did not affect them, as the judges understood what happened and thus judged the components of their desserts as prepared by themselves, so when tasting Howard's dessert they judged the custard as belonging to Deborah, and when tasting Deborah's dessert, they judged her custard as belonging to Howard. Nevertheless, a lot of people directed hate towards Deborah, thinking she had done it on purpose and that her laughing was disrespectful.

    It makes me feel so bad that in two occasions, very nice and kind and sweet old ladies got blasted and had a lot of hate and negativity directed at them over honest mistakes that they already felt terrible about, especially because this is one of the very few competition shows I can watch where everybody's kind and likable and get along so well rather than it be some explosive drama fest full of jerks.
    Bearcata, Arielflies and tinderbox like this.

  4. #324
    Kao
    Kao is offline
    Donyale y Dali: OTP Kao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,526

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    I remember Deborah and Howard, and I can't believe that people sent hate her way. For one thing, wasn't she the one who told Howard she accidentally used his custard in the first place? There was no harm there, the judges just judged the custard portion of the dessert according to who made it. I understand Diana being flustered, but I'm sorry; telling Ian that he had his own fridge was NOT a good look, especially since his dessert was ruined because of her actions. I think the show did some creative storytelling in this case because Ian's icecream was set when he put it in the fridge initially, and it was soup when he found it. Even though it was hot that day no way did that happen in only a minute. I'm sorry that people put her on blast online for her mistake, but she really had no business touching another contestant's dessert.
    AZChristian likes this.

  5. #325
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    21,654

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    I remember Deborah and Howard, and I can't believe that people sent hate her way. For one thing, wasn't she the one who told Howard she accidentally used his custard in the first place? There was no harm there, the judges just judged the custard portion of the dessert according to who made it. I understand Diana being flustered, but I'm sorry; telling Ian that he had his own fridge was NOT a good look, especially since his dessert was ruined because of her actions. I think the show did some creative storytelling in this case because Ian's icecream was set when he put it in the fridge initially, and it was soup when he found it. Even though it was hot that day no way did that happen in only a minute. I'm sorry that people put her on blast online for her mistake, but she really had no business touching another contestant's dessert.
    What part do you not understand that it was not on purpose and it was in the heat of a competition.
    No goat killers on my island.

  6. #326
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    21,654

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    Diana did not remove Ian's ice cream from the freezer on purpose, it was accidental and she was flustered when confronted. It was revealed in supplementary material that the ice cream was out of the freezer for about a minute at most, and Diana was not responsible for Ian getting so frustrated that he threw away everything else he had done. And the supplementary material also revealed that the reason Diana got sick and had to leave the competition was precisely because of that incident. See, Diana felt responsible for what happened and the guilt wracked her up so bad that it made her actually become ill. Ian did not blame her at all and he felt bad that she got sick over the whole situation.

    Because of that incident, people blasted Diana on social media and directed a lot of hate at her, unfounded as it was. The same thing happened in the season before it, when a contestant named Deborah accidentally used the custard prepared by another contestant, Howard, on her dessert, so Howard had no choice but to use Deborah's in his. It was an honest mistake, Deborah felt terrible about it and ended up laughing out of sheer guilt and nervousness, as many people are wont to do in such situations because they don't know how else to cope, and in the end the incident did not affect them, as the judges understood what happened and thus judged the components of their desserts as prepared by themselves, so when tasting Howard's dessert they judged the custard as belonging to Deborah, and when tasting Deborah's dessert, they judged her custard as belonging to Howard. Nevertheless, a lot of people directed hate towards Deborah, thinking she had done it on purpose and that her laughing was disrespectful.

    It makes me feel so bad that in two occasions, very nice and kind and sweet old ladies got blasted and had a lot of hate and negativity directed at them over honest mistakes that they already felt terrible about, especially because this is one of the very few competition shows I can watch where everybody's kind and likable and get along so well rather than it be some explosive drama fest full of jerks.
    Thanks for the update ... I can't believe people sent out so much negativity ... I too watch this show because all the contestants are there for a mutual love of baking and they all want everyone to do well.
    No goat killers on my island.

  7. #327
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    but she really had no business touching another contestant's dessert.
    I have to agree with you....

  8. #328
    Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,738

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    In an ideal world of 20/20 hindsight, wouldn't it have been nice if Ian had been brought back that next week after Diana had to drop out? That's what we thought the first time we watched it. And they would still have had the same number of contestants moving forward.
    ibot2much likes this.
    I'm Paula.

  9. #329
    Unofficial Nomster Rembrant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    In an ideal world of 20/20 hindsight, wouldn't it have been nice if Ian had been brought back that next week after Diana had to drop out? That's what we thought the first time we watched it. And they would still have had the same number of contestants moving forward.
    I can understand why they did not bring him back. He got eliminated fair and square, and it would not have been fair to the other contestants eliminated by that point if he got a chance to come back and they did not. I think their way of deciding not to eliminate anyone afterwards in one episode was the proper way to address the situation.
    Arielflies and AZChristian like this.

  10. #330
    Kao
    Kao is offline
    Donyale y Dali: OTP Kao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,526

    Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    In an ideal world of 20/20 hindsight, wouldn't it have been nice if Ian had been brought back that next week after Diana had to drop out? That's what we thought the first time we watched it. And they would still have had the same number of contestants moving forward.
    It would have been nice, but IMO his elimination was the right thing to do. How can you expect to stay when you have a tantrum, throw away your entire bake, and present nothing?
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.