+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

CCL

Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    Those lava cakes looked really good; I would love to have one especially with the peanut butter!
    I don't know if I would like them as a hot peanut butter centre doesn't sound as tempting as, say, hot caramel or chocolate. But I would be willing to have a try.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

CCL

I wasn't really fussed on the bakes this week, particularly glazed fruit toppings on meat pies. Sad at the ousted baker, glad at the star baker.

Canadian version starts November 1. Meet the bakers of The Great Canadian Baking Show | CBC Life
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

Kao

I've always wondered about those meatpies. There's a restaurant around my house that specializes in those British pastries but I've never ordered one. I was happy about the Star Baker, especially since that pie looked delicious and I would love to try it. Very angry about the ousted baker, especially since another baker forgot to take the wax paper lining her pan out, baking it along with the pie.

I guess meat pies are not the first choice that comes to my mind. I guess I have to pluck up my courage and try one once and for all. I am also happy with the Star Baker, it looked really good. But I feel really bad for Julia. She has great potential.

I had a meat pasty at a Christmas fair and loved it. Did they do a turn with the pasty or the full casserole crusted meat pie?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

CCL

Do they not have meat pies at all in the US? The beginning challenge was individual sized pies. The final was a handraised family size pie. Both savoury, though the family pies had fruit toppings. I am blanking on the technical challenge right now. No pasties.

I guess you could consider a chicken/turkey pot pie a savory pit in the U.S.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kao

It was Italian Week! For the technical, they had to make margerita pizza from scratch. It was so hot in the tent this week no wonder the baker's creations kept melting. Was very sad for the eliminated baker, especially since there's a baker there that IMO squeaked by again.

Are people watching this season in the US, or are you guys reporting from across the pond?

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Kao View Post
    It was Italian Week! For the technical, they had to make margerita pizza from scratch. It was so hot in the tent this week no wonder the baker's creations kept melting. Was very sad for the eliminated baker, especially since there's a baker there that IMO squeaked by again.
    Yeah, I was sad at the oustee. The margarita pizza didn’t really seem like baking, though I guess they did make the dough and bake it in the oven so...it just seemed like an out of the norm challenge, unlike the cannolis or sfogliatelle. Noel did have the right shirt for it!

provenceguy - Kao and I are referring to the series now airing in the UK. Not sure when it will air in US.
    provenceguy likes this.

+ Reply to Thread