+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

Re: The Great British Baking Show (PBS)

Just an FYI:

We have been posting on Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS) thread on the main forum. To clarify this is really season 6 of the show and PBS has previous aired season 4 and 5. In fact PBS just finished airing season 4 and 5 about a week ago. Depending which PBS station you are watching they are airing 2 episodes on Friday night and 1 episode on Sunday. And this past Friday the local PBS station aired it at 11pm and again later around 2:30am. so I do recommend folks check their "TV Guides". Just becareful posting as I have already seen this season's desserts episode which comes after the bread.

They had an American Holiday Bakeoff last Christmas and it was horrible.

PS: I finished watching season 1 on YouTube and am about half way through season 2. Just be very careful watching YouTube as some of the posters reveal spoilers through their thumbnails.

Can you believe Mary Berry is 81 years young.
    Fo'Realz? and woodiedog like this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Quote Originally Posted by Declan View Post
    I think it was in season 1 there was a week I thought surely this woman was going home her cake was an absolute mess to look at. It was like half-burned around the edges and falling apart and a total train wreck looking thing but it was one of the judge's favorites. Not really knowing what way they will go based on looks/refinement makes it interesting
    Even if you have a trainwreck present it to the judges they need to taste something and I have seen folks with trainwrecks survive. There was one contestant who got so upset that his ice cream in his Baked Alaska didn't set they he threw it in the bin and the judges ended sending him home because they couldn't taste anything. Remember all three bakes are judged and you can still wipe out on 1 or 2 bakes and still survive because someone did worst then you.
    woodiedog likes this.

Saturday: Signature Challenge and Technical Challenge.

Sunday: Showstopper.

What do you win? A trophy and bragging rights.

Luv Mel and Sue's little historical food bits.
    woodiedog likes this.

My new favorite show! And I don't like to bake! Love the contestants, judges, and humorous hosts. The worried faces of the contestants while they are being judged crack me up. The cameras really do a good job showing the final products, some are works of art!

I have known about this show for a long time, but have only managed to catch the one season they have on Netflix, I don't know which one it is, all I know is how much I loved it. I have to try finding more of them.

The USA have tried making their own version of this show twice, but it seems that due to not giving it any kind of promotion or word of mouth, people just didn't notice them. The first one was on CBS, and it wasn't bad, it just had this absolute jerk of a contestant who kept being saved despite being at the bottom of almost all the challenges, and in the end he ended up winning the whole competition anyway, which just left a really bad taste in my mouth. The best part of it was Jeff Foxworthy as the host, he was very charming and you could tell he was really enjoying the whole thing, the contestants were very taken with him and often let him sample their baked goods.

The second try at this aired in ABC, I think it was last year. It was pretty good, but I saw absolutely nothing to promote the show, nothing to let people know it was airing, and I caught it when there were barely any contestants left, found it by pure chance when channel surfing.
    Mike'sgirl and aramcobrat like this.

I remember the Jeff Foxworthy one! I'm not surprised that it had a jerk of a contestant, don't most US reality shows have at least one?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    I have known about this show for a long time, but have only managed to catch the one season they have on Netflix, I don't know which one it is, all I know is how much I loved it. I have to try finding more of them.

The USA have tried making their own version of this show twice, but it seems that due to not giving it any kind of promotion or word of mouth, people just didn't notice them. The first one was on CBS, and it wasn't bad, it just had this absolute jerk of a contestant who kept being saved despite being at the bottom of almost all the challenges, and in the end he ended up winning the whole competition anyway, which just left a really bad taste in my mouth. The best part of it was Jeff Foxworthy as the host, he was very charming and you could tell he was really enjoying the whole thing, the contestants were very taken with him and often let him sample their baked goods.

The second try at this aired in ABC, I think it was last year. It was pretty good, but I saw absolutely nothing to promote the show, nothing to let people know it was airing, and I caught it when there were barely any contestants left, found it by pure chance when channel surfing.
    Please try YouTube you will find it.

Flummoxed Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

We did get 2 back-to-back episodes last night, and as much as I enjoyed watching 2 hrs of one of my fav shows,
    it also felt extra heart-achy (is that a word? ) to be grieving the loss of 2 contestants by the time it was over.
    I truly like every one of these bakers and will miss each one who goes home as the crowd thins out.
    AZChristian and woodiedog like this.
    "When someone shows you who they are, believe them ..." - Maya Angelou

Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

Paul is so attractive in a natural manly way it's distracting. I love this show, but I can't stay out of the kitchen when it's over. I want cake. No, I want cookies. No, what I really want is a puff pastry turnover. It's a dangerous show for dieters.
    woodiedog likes this.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." — George Orwell

I watched a couple of episodes of this show last night. I must be weird, because, I wasn't that impressed with the cakes. The cheese cakes didn't look very appealing to me and then the cake with the filling inside....just looked too messy. I'll have to give another try.

+ Reply to Thread