+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Escaping Polygamy - A&E

Escaping Polygamy - A&E

Nobody is watching this? The 2nd season started last night, I caught a mini marathon yesterday afternoon, it's pretty intense! It's about 3 sisters that have escaped and now they help other girls get out. Of the episodes I saw they helped Priscilla escape who was a month and a half from turning 18 so they had to get her to Las Vegas where the runaway laws aren't as strict. In Utah they will just put you back in an abusive home. They should really get that law changed.

Then there was Yolanda from Colorado City, Arizona who's sister had already escaped. She was 19 and I didn't get the feeling she was really ready. She brought a crap ton of stuff with her, furniture and everything. Something tells me she might end up going back, or maybe not. Once you leave you're considered an Apostate and are written off.
    Punkin and Badseed like this.

Re: Escaping Polygamy - A&E

I have been watching it. I was confused about the wife who brought in a moving truck to haul her belongings. I thought that was rather risky. I mean if you are that afraid, wouldn't you just go with the bags you can carry?
    I watched up to the point where the u-haul truck pulled up. Did she get out?

This all seems very stressful for those young ladies, especially, the one who is having anxiety all the time. She may need more than a meditation rock to help her.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I have been watching it. I was confused about the wife who brought in a moving truck to haul her belongings. I thought that was rather risky. I mean if you are that afraid, wouldn't you just go with the bags you can carry?
    I watched up to the point where the u-haul truck pulled up. Did she get out?

This all seems very stressful for those young ladies, especially, the one who is having anxiety all the time. She may need more than a meditation rock to help her.
    I only saw the last 2 episodes, that is crazy with the moving truck and the girl I saw bringing furniture and stuff. I'm on the edge of my seat for the escapes!

FORT Newbie

I've been watching this as well. I remember a mention on one episode that sometimes they only see the husband when it's time for a baby to be born and when it's time to make a baby. For the wife with the U-Haul, she appeared to live in a normal neighborhood, likely surrounded by people who may not even know she's a polygamist. So, if she had a recent visit with her husband, she may not have had any concern with pulling up a U-Haul and unloading as nobody would report her to her husband. Although IIRC, her husband did text her shortly after leaving, so who knows.

In Colorado City, a U-Haul would never fly. A suburban Utah subdivision is a different story, I think.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

FORT Newbie

I think I've been more surprised at how "normal" they appear. I know that the Sister Wives crew have shown how normal a polygamist family can appear, but their kids don't need to escape or be subjected to being married off at a young age. So, other than multiple wives, they lead a fairly standard life. These people in this show don't appear fundamentalist, however their lifestyle seems to reflect otherwise. I'm just surprised to see regular clothes and makeup on them.
    Punkin likes this.

Oh, I thought that the one with the uhaul was in a dangerous and patrolled area by The Order. (This is the group who the casts is from, right?) Plus, she was a first wife, which made it more dangerous, since she is a legal wife, right? I'll have to catch up and watch it all the way through.

Did you see the episode where they describe how they are all related and how many relatives they have from the leaders, the Kingston men which they call The Order? It's amazing how many of them have the same very large eyes. They are quite attractive, but their eyes distract me.
    Here's an article about it.
    Inside 'The Order,' One Mormon Cult's Secret Empire | Rolling Stone
    Punkin likes this.

I didn't see any involving wives, only "children". I will probably go back and catch up as well, the first season only had 6 episodes I think. At the beginning of every episode they tell how they all have the same father, 2 are from one mother and the other from another mother. It's very sad, they had a 14 year old sister commit suicide because she was so unhappy. A lot of the younger ones have suicide pacts.

There is one scene with them in their office and they have placed charts and photos on the wall to show the family tree, which is actually impossible, since there are so many on the tree that go sideways and not necessarily downward, if you know what I mean. The collective number of siblings is staggering.

So creepy. I read that article, wow, just wow...
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wymama View Post
    I've been watching this as well. I remember a mention on one episode that sometimes they only see the husband when it's time for a baby to be born and when it's time to make a baby. For the wife with the U-Haul, she appeared to live in a normal neighborhood, likely surrounded by people who may not even know she's a polygamist. So, if she had a recent visit with her husband, she may not have had any concern with pulling up a U-Haul and unloading as nobody would report her to her husband. Although IIRC, her husband did text her shortly after leaving, so who knows.

In Colorado City, a U-Haul would never fly. A suburban Utah subdivision is a different story, I think.
    Yeah, for the Kingstons being the most powerful clan, they are more laxed in dress and makeup and things. Colorado City is old school, and on a compound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast