+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

I'm intrigued by this show which chronicles the journey of the morbidly obese who desperately want to qualify for gastric bypass surgery, which is done in Houston, Texas by Dr. Nowzaradan (Dr. Now to his patients). The show airs on Wednesday nights at 9/8 on TLC.

Anyone watching?
    Punkin likes this.

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

I do watch it occasionally. It is rather fascinating, though at times it can be frustrating. I find it interesting how these people seem to have so much in common.

I often find myself being very annoyed with these super morbidly obese family members. They seem to be living in another universe. I would think that the doctor would require the patient and the family members who live with them to undergo some kind of a program, prior to surgery.
    Punkin likes this.

Many of these patients have enablers.... family members, spouses etc... who bring them the food. It angers me when they are bedridden! If they are beholden to you for their food, don't give them so much! Or give them better food. I agree that they should have a social worker live with them or have them live without their caregivers. One show the husband brought the electric frying pan, oil and won tons so his bedridden wife could fry some up to eat! Needless to say she never lost the weight.
    Punkin likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

I often find myself being very annoyed with these super morbidly obese family members. They seem to be living in another universe. I would think that the doctor would require the patient and the family members who live with them to undergo some kind of a program, prior to surgery.
    Well, before Dr. Now agrees to do the bypass surgery the patient has to prove that he or she can successfully lose weight on his/her own prior to the operation. The doctor usually says to lose about 50 lbs or so in a month or two by following a strict high protein, low carb, 1,000 calorie diet. If the patient complies the surgery is done. But oftentimes even with the best intentions the patient finds it difficult to stick to the program. I, too, find it frustrating that the patient lives with such enablers. I saw an episode with Charity, who had to be one of his heaviest patients. She weighed in at close to 800 lbs....770 something!

Well, without these enablers making the runs to all of these fast food franchises or even preparing the meals, where would these patients be? I'd assume significantly less heavy.

And in the case where the enabler is a family member like daughter or son, the child is often quite heavy too. Very rarely do you see a patient from a higher socioeconomic status. They all seem mostly poor. I don't understand where the money comes from to buy all of this food. Yes, I know social welfare programs provide for the indigent but isn't there a limit?

The patients do get counseling, which imo they desperately need. I've struggled with my weight for most of my adult life and I do feel for these people on some level, but I just can't fathom the amounts of food they consume and the poor quality and food choices. For what they pay for the McDonalds drive-thru, they can cook up a nutritious meal of a whole roasted chicken with some vegetables and/or salad. Even a healthier carb choice like a sweet potato would be better than French fries, mac and cheese. Their diets are unappealing to me.

Still, like a trainwreck, I can't look away. I find it fascinating.
    Punkin and Cornholio like this.

What annoys me the most are the family members who sit and hear from the Dr. how dire the situation is and how their loved one is near death and then when they leave, they drive through fast food places or cook horribly inappropriate food right in front of the patient! The patient can only be so strong. They need backup. Who wouldn't go along and eat the same as they do? I mean it is a life and death situation.

Most of the enabling family members are obese too. At times, Dr. Now will address it, but I would think it would be a huge thing. Like, having the family members sign contracts that they will not bring fast food into the house or not prepare highly inappropriate foods under the patient's nose. It's common sense, but these people don't seem to have any sense about it.

I notice that when it comes to the stuff like pizza, burgers, fries, etc. The enablers claim that they must abide by the patient's instructions. If they want pizza, they have to get them pizza, but when it comes to the patient telling them they want grilled chicken, yogurt, etc., THEN the family member has the audacity to challenge them on that. So, it's really BS in my mind. Those family members have free will. They're just doing what they want to, IMO.
    Punkin, libgirl2 and Cornholio like this.

I remember one very pretty young woman, I want to say Nikki, who's father would send her donuts every morning via a dumbwaiter.

I agree on the money issue, eating fast food can add up, especially when its in such large amounts, like 6 pizzas at a time. Which reminds me of the episode I watched last night. Sean, I think his name was, was over 900lbs. His mom ordered pizza for them. Now granted you can get food delivered if you don't have an enabler, but this is a guy who can't get out of bed. I think they got like 3 pizzas. I did see him eat a whole one and some of hers. She was very large too but I could tell she was torn as to what she had done to her son, but he was "hungry".... after he saw Dr. Now, he was told to lose a certain amount. What did she do? Bought him a hamburger and fries. He justified it as he was cutting down to only one a day as the 800 calorie a day diet was excessive. why do people always act so shocked that they HAVE to eat less??

Obesity is a complex issue and even medical professionals and experts on nutrition and mental health disagree on many aspects of the condition, however, to me, it seems that not only is there a biological component to obesity, but there are mental health and environmental factors. Many of the super obese patients had obese role models. And how you can be that unhealthy and yet have no idea what a calorie or carb is boggles the mind. It seems that hopelessness and lack of routine health care is also very prominent.

Still, there are people who have access to everything in the world, yet obesity haunts them like the plague. Consider Oprah. She has had the world at her disposal for many years, yet her struggle with her weight has been her achilles heel. So, I think she is a perfect example of how obesity is very complex and simple solutions aren't that effective. We'll see how she does with Weight Watchers. I wish her the best.

Obesity is a complex issue and even medical professionals and experts on nutrition and mental health disagree on many aspects of the condition, however, to me, it seems that not only is there a biological component to obesity, but there are mental health and environmental factors. Many of the super obese patients had obese role models. And how you can be that unhealthy and yet have no idea what a calorie or carb is boggles the mind. It seems that hopelessness and lack of routine health care is also very prominent.

Still, there are people who have access to everything in the world, yet obesity haunts them like the plague. Consider Oprah. She has had the world at her disposal for many years, yet her struggle with her weight has been her achilles heel. So, I think she is a perfect example of how obesity is very complex and simple solutions aren't that effective. We'll see how she does with Weight Watchers. I wish her the best.
    Its an addition that is a constant battle. Just like an alcoholic or an addict considers themselves one even if they aren't using anymore, such is the food addiction. It seems many of the people on this show have mental health issues that go beyond just eating. Christina, lost all the weight and is still looks in the mirror and said she is fat, even though Dr. Now is encouraging her to gain weight. Mentally there is a lot more going on. Food is a comfort, just like alcohol or drugs can be.
    Punkin likes this.

I don't disagree with the prospect that obese people may have addictions or eating disorders. I do think it depends on the person and the degree of their condition. Some people seem to eat large amounts of food and be very consumed with food, but, they don't gain weight.

We have a guy that works in my office like that. He's in his 50's, has been thin all of his life and eats A LOT of food daily. He doesn't work out either. It's maddening. Most people who eat like he does, would weigh over 400 pounds. His wife and kids acknowledge this about this man. He eats lots of meat, potatoes, cakes, doughnuts, ice cream, pizza, burgers, fries, Chinese food, etc. If he was obese, they would say he has an addiction to food, but since he's thin, it's just considered a healthy appetite. He has normal blood pressure and cholesterol. He weighs no more than 150 pounds. I want a metabolism like his!
    Cornholio likes this.

I don't disagree with the prospect that obese people may have addictions or eating disorders. I do think it depends on the person and the degree of their condition. Some people seem to eat large amounts of food and be very consumed with food, but, they don't gain weight.

We have a guy that works in my office like that. He's in his 50's, has been thin all of his life and eats A LOT of food daily. He doesn't work out either. It's maddening. Most people who eat like he does, would weigh over 400 pounds. His wife and kids acknowledge this about this man. He eats lots of meat, potatoes, cakes, doughnuts, ice cream, pizza, burgers, fries, Chinese food, etc. If he was obese, they would say he has an addiction to food, but since he's thin, it's just considered a healthy appetite. He has normal blood pressure and cholesterol. He weighs no more than 150 pounds. I want a metabolism like his!
    I would love that metabolism too. Is he very active?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast