+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 272
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

  1. #81
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters
    Posts
    4,914

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I'm going to say the politically incorrect thing. If people are on public assistance and can't "handle" free choice, they should be made to live in institutional care: barracks for sleeping (no "morbidly obese" adjustable hospital beds with video games, Internet, and remote control for cable TV allowed), common dining areas with a healthy menu (no choice), jobs and chores to perform (which will get them moving), and no free cashola or private cars for deliveries or drive-thrus (if you want a snack, here's an apple, and there's the bus that doesn't stop at Hardee's). GED study and career training provided; if they want better (autonomy), they can do better. At some point the country is going to go bankrupt from the sheer stupidity of its citizenry.
    Let's extend that to cancer patients who smoked. Withhold treatment because they did it to themselves Let them die. Same with people who have type two diabetes. Let's stop providing healthcare and treatment centers for addicts and drunks. All these people are morally inferior and thus, don't deserve help. And people who are obese are just lazy slobs.
    We should institute a morality clause-and deny treatment to people based on their life's history. smh
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    I'll love you until the sphynx winks.

  2. #82
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,703

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Let's extend that to cancer patients who smoked. Withhold treatment because they did it to themselves Let them die. Same with people who have type two diabetes. Let's stop providing healthcare and treatment centers for addicts and drunks. All these people are morally inferior and thus, don't deserve help. And people who are obese are just lazy slobs.
    We should institute a morality clause-and deny treatment to people based on their life's history. smh
    Good point now that you put it that way. I wouldn't want to deny anyone care, I know that I would want them to get the right help. The surgery is great, but sending someone back to the same environment with the same enablers doesn't help the situation as we have seen often.
    redsox girl likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  3. #83
    FORT Fogey jenniferboston1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,150

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    Good points everyone's bringing up. Wonder how much those drive thru's and take out meals add up to for that family? If I had contributed to the online fund for the Texas transport and saw that the family was spending all that money on fast food, I'd have to pause for thought. When we get Chinese for a family of 4, can be upwards towards $60-70 (and that doesn't get us a lot!).
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "A goal without a timeline is simply a dream" Robert Herjavec

  4. #84
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,703

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    I found an interesting Where are they now? article. The main article is about James but if you scroll down you can see how some are doing. And yes, penny is there.

    My 600-Lb Life James K Before and After: Inside His Weight Loss Journey - In Touch Weekly
    Punkin likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  5. #85
    FORT Fogey redsox girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters
    Posts
    4,914

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Good point now that you put it that way. I wouldn't want to deny anyone care, I know that I would want them to get the right help. The surgery is great, but sending someone back to the same environment with the same enablers doesn't help the situation as we have seen often.
    Oh, I agree totally with getting people away from enablers. I think enablers get some sort of emotional payoff.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    I'll love you until the sphynx winks.

  6. #86
    FORT Fogey PA Snow Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,711

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    I watched last night in awe! He hasn't worked in 18 years so can somebody explain to me how he & his family affords iphones, mac computer, flat screens & computer games yet can not raise the money to be able to have an ambulance take him to Houston?
    It just boggles my mind that this man had a year to lose weight but instead gained weight. He gained 150 pounds in 2 months, he gained an entire person!

    We all lead stressful lives, we have all had our share of medical issues, loved ones have died & cars broke down. That's life...we deal with it, we grieve but we move on. James seems like his maturity was stunted at 10. There isn't a diet or surgery that can help with that until he learns to deal with adult issues like an adult.
    Punkin, libgirl2 and AZChristian like this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

  7. #87
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    825

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferboston1 View Post
    Good points everyone's bringing up. Wonder how much those drive thru's and take out meals add up to for that family? If I had contributed to the online fund for the Texas transport and saw that the family was spending all that money on fast food, I'd have to pause for thought. When we get Chinese for a family of 4, can be upwards towards $60-70 (and that doesn't get us a lot!).
    THEY ARE ON WELFARE; it simply amazes me that people wonder about this!

    Call it disability, whatever; the government is supporting these people (that's you and me; Mr. and Ms. Taxpayer) in the style to which they've become accustomed.

    Either drive-thrus now accept the EBT card (nothing would surprise me these days. I know convenience food stores do) or they convert their entitlements to cash somehow. When you see people with no visible means of support eating $200 worth of expensive fast food in one day, you know SOMEBODY is paying for it... And, yes, there's plenty of money left over, apparently, for cigarettes, cars, gas, video equipment, smart phones, etc., etc., etc. Even pedi/manis and massages. Must be nice!

    The "leisure class" in America used to be the rich; now it's the poor thanks to these generous handouts; it amounts to more than most could make working full-time.

    That's in addition to the months in the hospital, endless ambulance rides, gym, personal trainer, and therapist that either Dr. Now or -- more likely -- Medicaid provides for free.

    Is this a great country or what?

    As for this episode: yes, that was the worst!!!
    Last edited by sketcher; 03-17-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    Giggity22 likes this.

  8. #88
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,703

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    My mother is in a secured dementia unit. My parents worked all their lives, I would term them middle class. They are considered eligible under the Medicaid guidelines... We were denied Medicaid and are currently appealing it. The bill is at $40, 000. My dad doesn't have that kind of money. My mom thru no fault of her own barely talks or can walk. My dad had a second heart attack a while ago and can't take care of her. I am an only child and am not able to as well. She needs to be in a place like this because the alternative is just as much or even more, 24 hour nursing care in the home. My good friend said there are people on Medicaid who shouldn't be. It all makes me sick when I see some of these people having so much on my dime, when I look at my situation.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  9. #89
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,703

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    My mother is in a secured dementia unit. My parents worked all their lives, I would term them middle class. They are considered eligible under the Medicaid guidelines... We were denied Medicaid and are currently appealing it. The bill is at $40, 000. My dad doesn't have that kind of money. My mom thru no fault of her own barely talks or can walk. My dad had a second heart attack a while ago and can't take care of her. I am an only child and am not able to as well. She needs to be in a place like this because the alternative is just as much or even more, 24 hour nursing care in the home. My good friend said there are people on Medicaid who shouldn't be. It all makes me sick when I see some of these people having so much on my dime, when I look at my situation.
    I am all for support for those who need it. There are plenty of people who depend on these things. People who can't work due to mental illness or serious physical limitations thru no fault of their own, or people who have worked all their lives and needs assistance (like Meals on Wheels)... then there are others who get too comfortable with the handout.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  10. #90
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    825

    Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

    To qualify for Medicaid, you must "spend down." Not only can you not earn anything, you can't have assets (money) in the bank exceeding -- I think? -- $2,000. This is why many older people go ahead and "gift" their adult children their inheritance early; it's now called estate planning. That way, the nursing home is free.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.