+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Kind of like this. (I'm hard-core tough love, too.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brooks, owlgrl and zelda like this.
    I'm Paula.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Kind of like this. (I'm hard-core tough love, too.)
    Of course, that's the whole point. Like a parent who wants to keep a child close and dependent, those giving away the handouts will never encourage the voters to fend for themselves when, in fact, it should be parents' (and government's) role to foster self-sufficiency. But we digress (or not)!
    AZChristian likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Watching this show in the early afternoon certainly motivates me to keep on moving on my stationary bike, even when I really, really don't want to.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Was just watching Michael's story. He is not too much away from being thinner than his wife. I noticed she is up and around a lot more than her.
    owlgrl likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Wow; last night's (can't remember the name, even; the woman with the extremely dysfunction -- not to say criminal -- family) was very unpleasant; I turned it off after a while. Is this country great, or what?
    zelda likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Wow; last night's (can't remember the name, even; the woman with the extremely dysfunction -- not to say criminal -- family) was very unpleasant; I turned it off after a while. Is this country great, or what?
    Me too! I mean...it seemed like the boyfriend was the only one possibly working and supporting 6 people. I really don't think this family thought things out clearly. I am almost certain that this group uses social services. LOOK NO JUDGEMENT here but if they lived in Ohio then the state of Ohio covered them. Then they up & moved to Texas without any support system in place. I am by no means a pro on this but don't you have to be a resident of the state for 6 months before receiving benefits? Seriously I really don't know.
    Looking online at apartments then complaining that they were between $750-850 a month, she had a house in Ohio for $750. Hun you moved to a CITY in Texas not living in rural Ohio. At almost 700 pounds she claims she is the size of 3 normal people...she could almost make 7 of me.
    I turned it off...did she everget surgery & change?
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

She did get the surgery and had lost some weight. She had therapy. I think they had kicked the parents out of the house or it was that her and her BF found a new place. he proposed. She was more active and I think that helped. I felt bad for her, her parents were awful. I wish her luck.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 03-02-2017 at 02:21 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Not to start that conversation again, but my guess is that 9 1/2 out of 10 people on this show "use social services." But most manage to stay out of jail!

Just when I think this show can't get any more extreme, the most recent episode was beyond crazy! Nicole was only 23 years old and 680+ lbs. Her boyfriend had to bathe her with a hose on their back porch -- in OHIO!!!!! I live in Ohio. Winter's can get brutal here. How in the heck did she shower outside? The mom & dad and cocaine abuse was another crazy factor. I felt sorry for Nicole given her situation but I did agree with Dr. Now that she was blaming everyone around her and not taking responsibilty. Those poor little children of hers. My heart went out to them most of all. What kind of life do they have?

I saw that Nicole finally got her surgery, but the episode was pretty much over after that. I would like to see a follow-up to some of these stories. Being 23-ish, Nicole was in a good postition to 'bounce back' from all the abuse her body had to take being the size she started at. I have to wonder, though, if she would stay with her boyfriend if she were to lose the weight. She seemed to belittle him and yell at him a lot. It felt to me like she was only keeping him around because he was the one who's attending to her day-to-day functions and the one willing to work and willing to accompany her to the store, etc. If/when she can start to do some of those things for herself, I have to wonder if they'd grow apart.
    Last edited by JosephD; 03-04-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    jenniferboston1 and zelda like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

FORT Fogey

This show isn't riveting to me; it's mostly just disgusting -- no because of the fat, per se, but because of the (gov't/outside) dependency issues. Just drives me crazy! We'd all benefit from some counseling sessions and a gym membership -- with a personal trainer, no less (those don't come cheap), but most of us are too busy working and paying taxes and/or too tired or too broke to afford it when it's not handed to us for free. We're really created a monster with our hand-outs.

+ Reply to Thread