+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

(((Punkin)))

The biggest medical charges often come at the end. I was very grateful that Medicare picked up my parents' final months, and that Blue Cross took care of my husband. I wasn't left grieving on top of medical bankruptcy. I wish you peace.
    Punkin, causingchaos and sclilred1 like this.

Where I live if it's not busy it's not unusual for ambulances or sheriffs to transport people home depending on what kind of transport they need for free. In fact it's pretty common.

In my first job after I got my master's degree I could only get part time hours. I spent the entire time I was in college on a state health care plan and was still on it in my first professional job. I had to treat some cancerous issues with that insurance. Every single day at work with my job now I'm reminded every person is one tragedy away from needing significant help. A baby born with 100's of thousands dollars worth of medical issues in it's short life. An aortic dissection leading to a brain injury requiring thousands of dollars of care for the rest of life, people on vents. People who make a bad choice, walkout on some ice and fall and get a traumatic brain injury. And every single day I get to see people cheesed off that they have too much income or assets or both to qualify.

I don't care what a person's issues are. 600 lbs life or not if they need the safety net, they need the safety net. It's not my job to sit in judgement and determine who is and is not worthy of that safety net. Nor am I deluded enough to think it's easy to gain access to it. I'm yet to meet a perfect person. Everyone is worthy. I too pay a lot of levy money toward schools I will never have kids to use, parks I don't use, buildings I don't use. I don't care. I believe in a better society and sometimes that means paying for stuff that will offer no direct benefit to me.
    Punkin, Brooks, sclilred1 and 1 others like this.

FORT Fanatic

Is it a "better society" that enables people to reach this point? Because that's what all the freebies and handouts do. Would they be lying in bed all day if it meant starving to death? Or even if they didn't have free TV/wifi courtesy of the state? I don't think so. But it's JMHO.

I'm not sure what state programs you have in your state but we don't have a single one that pays for TV and/or wifi. And I'm pretty familiar with them all.

I just don't have the energy to harbor that much hate to some people on a TV show either. Or even toward people in real life.
    Punkin and zelda like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    My husband has had to have ambulance travel twice in the last 5 months. First the Fire Department shows up and quickly behind, the ambulance. Last year a month or so later we received a billing. I don't remember if it came from Kaiser or San Mateo County. The charge was about $3,600. Our share of the cost: $0,000.00. I don't know if Kaiser picked it up or if the County did as a County service. Last Sunday I had to call them again and haven't heard yet about any charges, but I doubt there will be anything for me to pay. He went from the Emergency to ICU and he won't need another ride. Today his doctor told me that despite all they are doing for him, he will not make it. I am dying inside, but have to hold it together for him. But at least I won't have to worry over such a hit on my savings. Got enough to worry about. I thank God that our tax dollars provide a safety net for those neighbors in need.
    Oh Punkin - I'm SO, SO sorry.
    Punkin and sclilred1 like this.

I feel for these folks on the show - they're addicts. Most have had a rough go, some more than others. And yeah a lot of us have a rough time, childhood, whatever, but don't end up 600lbs, but might have other issues to deal with in the fallout. There are so many different kinds of addictions, & all are destructive, although some not as obviously. Addicts in general can be incredibly difficult to deal with, so I'm not too surprised they act the way they do. As I see it, how Dr. Now works it, is to break the cycle of addiction, not just have them lose weight, so I can appreciate his work there. They need someone coming in from the outside & getting tough & that's his role. Most probably need therapy a bit sooner than they suggest but otherwise I get the process.
    Punkin and zelda like this.

FORT Fanatic

[QUOTE=causingchaos;5127630]I'm not sure what state programs you have in your state but we don't have a single one that pays for TV and/or wifi. And I'm pretty familiar with them all.

They get checks every month with which they can buy whatever they want (including cigarettes; kind of odd that none of these people smoke, but I guess one addiction at a time?). The almost willful naivete about our welfare state always amuses me. Okay... WIFI just comes free out of thin air (like ambulance rides and, I assume, fast food). I wish it would for me!

I don't "hate" anyone, but I don't approve. "Free everything" is demoralizing for both those who receive it and those who give it, eventually. I would hope it would be obvious to everyone that it's simple "enabling" on a governmental basis, but apparently not.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

We spent the morning volunteering at a food bank. It was amazing - and heartwarming - to see how much high-quality, fresh food is contributed by local stores and restaurants. It was all past the legal "sell by" date, but was still fresh and usable. Even free range eggs!!!

I was just surprised that only about 20% of the people who got large shopping carts full of free, good food said thank you.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.
    I'm Paula.

[QUOTE=sketcher;5127713]
    Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I'm not sure what state programs you have in your state but we don't have a single one that pays for TV and/or wifi. And I'm pretty familiar with them all.

They get checks every month with which they can buy whatever they want (including cigarettes; kind of odd that none of these people smoke, but I guess one addiction at a time?). The almost willful naivete about our welfare state always amuses me. Okay... WIFI just comes free out of thin air (like ambulance rides and, I assume, fast food). I wish it would for me!

I don't "hate" anyone, but I don't approve. "Free everything" is demoralizing for both those who receive it and those who give it, eventually. I would hope it would be obvious to everyone that it's simple "enabling" on a governmental basis, but apparently not.
    I agree that there are times someone does need assistance. It shouldn't be permanent or a way of life. Now if someone is disabled through no fault of their own, of course take care of them. We have a mother and daughter who come into the library. Both a nearly blind and its obvious that both are mentally disabled. They would starve without assistance as there really isn't too much they can do. We have a gentleman here, 20 years, who has Downs, but the work is part time and he still lives at home. Could he survive? No.

I know these people are addicted, but when I see my tax dollars contributing to this, it bothers me. I would rather my tax dollars go to counseling, a nutritionist etc..... at least this way we are moving forward and end this addiction. I applaud those who have gotten the help and worked hard to get healthy and work. Chay, who was on a year or so ago, is currently working at Walmart and doing theater. At the right she (she is transgender) was going, she wouldn't have gone anywhere.
    AZChristian and sketcher like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fanatic

[QUOTE=libgirl2;5127751]
    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post

I agree that there are times someone does need assistance. It shouldn't be permanent or a way of life. Now if someone is disabled through no fault of their own, of course take care of them. We have a mother and daughter who come into the library. Both a nearly blind and its obvious that both are mentally disabled. They would starve without assistance as there really isn't too much they can do. We have a gentleman here, 20 years, who has Downs, but the work is part time and he still lives at home. Could he survive? No.

I know these people are addicted, but when I see my tax dollars contributing to this, it bothers me. I would rather my tax dollars go to counseling, a nutritionist etc..... at least this way we are moving forward and end this addiction. I applaud those who have gotten the help and worked hard to get healthy and work. Chay, who was on a year or so ago, is currently working at Walmart and doing theater. At the right she (she is transgender) was going, she wouldn't have gone anywhere.
    Exactly. There's help that lifts you out of dependency and makes you self-sufficient, and help that keeps you down and reliant on the government, and handouts seldom actually help. It's the old "give a man a fish" versus "teach a man to fish" thing. Personally, I believe public assistance should require communal living and dining on healthy food only -- none of this just giving them a blank check to do with what they will -- along with work assignments (if they can post on social media all day, they can do data entry, at least). You would see morbid obesity gone, as it was before public assistance. But then, I'm hard core tough love.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread