+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

I usually find out a last name when I google their first name and the phrase "my 600 lb life".
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fanatic

I don't see any action here; anyone watching? I just have to vent about the twenty-bazillion ambulance runs on last night's episode. My mother had to be taken to the hospital for the last time (she passed away there). Although she had Medicare and wonderful private supplemental insurance (AARP) -- and worked all her life for it -- it wasn't covered -- even though she was UNCONSCIOUS -- and they charged her personally $1,500 for a five-mile one-way ride. They hounded her survivors for a year for that money before giving up on it. I almost can't watch this show because of all the taxpayer dollars wasted on these Medicaid recipients who seem to have the GOLD CARD to free food, housing, medical care, and transport because they've eaten themselves into morbid obesity. This woman weighed LESS than dancing Whitney Thore ("My Big Fat Fabulous Life") does now before she finally started getting her own self -- with the help of several family members -- to the doctor's for appointments. Not to mention free therapy sessions, a free gym membership, and even a personal trainer. How many of us working people can afford that? I said not a word about all the junk food from the grocery and fast food from the drive-in she had her niece picking up for her in the beginning. These people don't work and are certainly on disability, if not just plain old Welfare. When will our society stop enabling? This country creates its own problems, I swear! Okay; rant over until the next episode.
    Punkin and owlgrl like this.

I'm watching! I was curious how she was able to afford to rent that house and all of those ambulance calls. Her weight made 6 of me...sheesh. Glad she got her issues under control.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fanatic

Where she got all the money is from you and me -- hardworking taxpayers, and I've about had a belly full of watching it every week, LOL! People are always dreaming up alternative scenarios (well, she worked once, so she must've saved money). No... If you weigh that much and have spent down (are broke), everything is free in America. So wasteful! Give them a job and make them work for what they get. Their whole problem is that they're just bored to death...
    Last edited by sketcher; 02-16-2017 at 03:26 PM.

The truth is that we don't know how these services are being paid. I've encountered people in this situation before and they didn't take one dime of public assistance. It's easy to make statements about public money and drains on society, but we really don't know unless they tell us. Just saying.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for any of the people on this show, but I do believe in society having a safety net. I'm an empathetic person and I believe in helping people......and some people need more help than others. That being said, I still watch this show and yell at my TV because so many of these people love to play the victim. This week actually wasn't bad. She acknowledged she needed to change and then she did. She was also going through training to counsel others. I wouldn't be surprised to see her become a "normal" person again with a job and a life.

Last week though? I wanted to smack her. They come in and throw out all the unhealthy food and then she goes and orders it to be delivered. She was like a petulant child. On the TLC FB people were criticizing her family for being "mean" to her, but I totally understood how they felt. She was infuriating. The one in the episode two weeks ago was awful too. The constant crying and whining for her mother =

One thing that always strikes me when watching this show is how, even though they claim that food gives them pleasure, they sure don't seem to enjoy eating. They always eat so methodically, like they HAVE to. Just shove it in and chew and stare off at the middle distance. It's disturbing.

My mom and I always joke (only we're serious) that, in our family, the day you're too fat to get out of bed and get your own food is the day you don't eat. I love when Dr. Now comes into the room for the first meeting and immediately asks who the enabler is. He's awesome.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

No one pays thousands of dollars PER AMBULANCE TRANSPORT out of pocket unless they are millionaires; puh-leez! As I say, people love to come up with any scenario for this situation except the obvious one. Everyone's in denial about how much this country spends to support and enable useless members of society.

I'm not in denial. I'm simply not willing to pass judgment without knowing the facts I also want to live in a country where I and my fellow citizens are taken care of. I pay my taxes and some of those taxes go to things I don't utilize. That doesn't mean I don't have to pay for them. It's just the way things work. I don't have a kid in public schools, but I'm okay with my taxes funding schools. I've never called 911 for an ambulance, fire truck OR the police, but I'm happy to pay for them in case I ever do....and even if I NEVER do, I'm okay with that because other people in this country DO need them.

These people are certainly helped financially by this show, but frankly, it's more help than they'd get sitting in their homes being potentially funded by public money. If they get money from TLC, so what? The show makes TLC money, so why wouldn't they pay the participants? If they end up losing the weight and becoming productive members of society, then that benefits everyone.

All that being said, I don't have much sympathy for the people on this show with respect to their weight issues. It takes A LOT of food and gluttony to get to 600 lbs and to maintain it (no matter what anyone says - this is science). Watching them whine and cry about being in pain/not being able to walk/whatever other problems and then stuff their faces with a dozen donuts....well, I'm sure I'm not the only one yelling at the TV.
    Punkin and causingchaos like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

I didn't say the money came from the show. They would at least be working for it, if that were the case? Maybe TLC springs for the personal trainer in exchange for the shower scene.

I have to feel that TLC picks up a lot of the charges from the time the patient contacts Dr. Now and they agree to let the cameras into their lives. Otherwise TLC wouldn't have a show and commercial dollars it generates. How these people have the financial resources to have a monthly grocery budget that would feed my family for 6 months, that I cannot fathom. I, too, believe in my tax dollars helping those around me who need help. I could be in that position someday of needing financial help, who knows, but not from mortal obesity.

My husband has had to have ambulance travel twice in the last 5 months. First the Fire Department shows up and quickly behind, the ambulance. Last year a month or so later we received a billing. I don't remember if it came from Kaiser or San Mateo County. The charge was about $3,600. Our share of the cost: $0,000.00. I don't know if Kaiser picked it up or if the County did as a County service. Last Sunday I had to call them again and haven't heard yet about any charges, but I doubt there will be anything for me to pay. He went from the Emergency to ICU and he won't need another ride. Today his doctor told me that despite all they are doing for him, he will not make it. I am dying inside, but have to hold it together for him. But at least I won't have to worry over such a hit on my savings. Got enough to worry about. I thank God that our tax dollars provide a safety net for those neighbors in need.

Our current government is determined to cut taxes on the top 10% of money earners owners. Leaving less for safety net needers and working families. Pfffft, they don't give a crap. Watch how fast they dismantle the Consumer Protection Agency we have courtesy of Elizabeth Warren, Obama and the Democrats. Resist and protest, people.

Sorry, I know this is just a little OT. But it's a real bad horrifically horrible day for me, so give me a little break mods.
    woodiedog likes this.
    Lynda

FORT Fanatic

Well, someone pays it; ambulances don't transport for free. And it looked like all those EMTs sat around waiting for her appointment to be over? Hope no one was suffering a heart attack somewhere while they were tied up with her. I'm truly very sorry to hear about your husband.
    Last edited by sketcher; 02-16-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread