+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3536373839404142434445
Like Tree412Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    The problem with the new WW plan, in particular, is ALL the foods that are "zero points." NO, they aren't. It's not like those foods - and that list now apparently includes chicken breasts (seriously, wtf?), lean turkey and ALL fish - contain zero calories, but people like the ones we see on this show, who want a magical solution, would take that at face value.

A few years ago, I was curious about how the WW plan had changed. I found a message board where someone was frustrated that they couldn't lose weight on the plan. It came out that this person was eating 8 or 9 bananas a day because they were zero points. Yep, close to 1,000 calories a day just in bananas and no clue why there was no weight loss "But Weight Watchers says they're zero points." Now that even more foods are categorized as zero points, I'm sure there are even more people dramatically overeating - a TON of zero point foods and then however many points in other foods.

I understand that WW is trying to get people to eat healthier foods like lean meats and fresh produce, but people who are food addicts and who want to lose weight without changing their diet, will take advantage of it and then whine about how they're following the diet and not losing weight. We see it all the time on this show, even though they miraculously lose weight when Dr. Now checks them into the hospital and puts them on a supervised diet.
    My good friend has recently lost an awful lot of weight. She had to be about 400 at her highest. She is going low carb, lean meats and plenty of veggies. She is also working out with water therapy as well. She feels great and is being sensible. She recently went back to her home town for 5 days and managed to only gain 4 lbs. She is back to her healthy eating and her working out. I'm proud of her. She lost weight about 15 years ago by starving herself and back came the weight.
    Punkin and Eastcoastmom like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

My pastor and his wife have just lost a lot of weight on WW. This diet program isn't for everyone but they like it and adhere to the point system well. It is like anything other diet program if you don't stay with it you will gain it back. I have lost weight on it before. Portion control and moderation is how I am doing it and have lost 19 lbs. I try to stay away from carbs but I don't rule them completely out. I also keep close track on my calories.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

After two 2-hour long episodes, the three sibs have lost at least a combined 700 lbs (that's four fairly large people) and still don't really look like they've lost any weight. I hope they continue to lose weight, but WOW, they had a lot of excuses! I refuse to believe they were measuring out only one serving of that chili. In general, a serving of something like that is around a cup and it looked like they were eating more than that. Really, why is THAT the only thing they could eat? There are plenty of simple pre-packaged options that have the calories and other nutritional info right on the package. I'm not a fan of long, involved cooking, but there are tons of things you can make that don't begin with the harvesting of the grain.

I'm glad Dr. Now is sending so many of the patients to therapy, although I wish he'd stop using the phrase "psycho-therapy," which can have a negative connotation, especially with people for whom therapy still has a huge stigma. Funny that the people who protest the most about how they definitely DO NOT need therapy are the ones who need it the most, huh?

Not sure how I feel about this new doc. IMO, he was way too easy on the sibs. That sunshine-y cheerleader routine may go over well with these patients who don't like being told they're not doing what they're supposed to be doing, but I can't see it being as successful as Dr. Now's tough love.

I'll never understand why "you're so heavy that your death is imminent" or something to that effect isn't enough of a motivator for most of these patients. That would scare the living cr@p out of me. I'd be on that 1200 cal diet immediately and stopping by a gym to sign up for a membership on the way home from the doctor's office!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    After two 2-hour long episodes, the three sibs have lost at least a combined 700 lbs (that's four fairly large people) and still don't really look like they've lost any weight.
    I thought the same thing last night - I could tell the one sister had a lost a bit, but the other two? Not so much. I think the sisters will do well in the future, but I'm not so sure about their brother. He seems way too stuck on his beloved fried chicken and crap.

Isn't the new doctor still being trained by Dr. Now? He does seem overly nice. He'll probably tire of all the excuses and whining over time and take up Dr. Now's tough love stance in the future.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

If they were sticking to a 1200 calorie diet they should be losing more than what they are, I doubt they are sticking to it. I thought they didn't look like they had lost any weight at all.
    They seem like the most unhappy people on the plant. Depressing. Finally they did laugh a little bit.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    If they were sticking to a 1200 calorie diet they should be losing more than what they are, I doubt they are sticking to it. I thought they didn't look like they had lost any weight at all.
    They seem like the most unhappy people on the plant. Depressing. Finally they did laugh a little bit.
    Pretty much everyone who has been on this show seems deeply unhappy.
    mayamaisha likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I think these 3 have pretty much put me off this show. Excuse-city! Can I have the gastric balloon surgery until I lose enough weight??? Who pays for all of these surgeries? I am being totally serious. I did HR when I was working and part of that job was health insurance. Every policy every year stated that health insurance will cover 1 gastric procedure for your entire life. Changing policies does not affect that policy. That excuse that momma died during surgery...so you honor her by gaining 800 pounds.
    I have had a migraine for 18 days straight yet will my health care cover injections to help....NOPE!
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I think these 3 have pretty much put me off this show. Excuse-city! Can I have the gastric balloon surgery until I lose enough weight??? Who pays for all of these surgeries? I am being totally serious. I did HR when I was working and part of that job was health insurance. Every policy every year stated that health insurance will cover 1 gastric procedure for your entire life. Changing policies does not affect that policy. That excuse that momma died during surgery...so you honor her by gaining 800 pounds.
    I have had a migraine for 18 days straight yet will my health care cover injections to help....NOPE!
    As with some other weight loss / medical-themed shows, Id guess that the show is footing the bill for any procedures
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread