+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Like Tree371Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Quote Originally Posted by Charliehorse View Post
    Ordering something they know they aren't suppose to eat isn't a lazy move. It is an excuse to eat something they are craving. As some said, they could have ordered salads - Panera has some wonderful ones. Even Chick-fil-A as good salads and a grilled chicken sandwich for 310 calories. People who eat as they have will find an excuse to eat something they are craving if given one. I see it in all the episodes when they are moving, on the road - they all use the excuse of fast food availbility to eat what they want to. Its ignorance of what they can get on the road that is better for them combined with their love of "bad" food choices. Those who really want to succeed do learn and the others are lost.
    You are right, I see it as part laziness and also part excuse.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    You are right, I see it as part laziness and also part excuse.
    I agree. They made bad choices when they stopped to eat. At that point I am not sure the daughter was all in to lose weight. I was shocked she was as heavy as she was I was thinking she weighed less. Looks are deceiving.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

OMG, the fatlogic in this episode

I think it would be easier to count the ones who DON'T whine about how Dr. Now doesn't understand what they're going through.

The amount of excuses from both of them was just maddening. "I want the skin removal surgery more than anything, but I don't know what more I can do." Um, stop smoking, eat less and go to the therapist like Dr. Now has told you to do for MONTHS! The best thing Susan could do for herself is to move into her own place away from her mother. That relationship is toxic. At each appointment, Susan's mother looked bigger and bigger. I hope she watches this episode and it shocks her into action.

Bettie Jo keeps whining about Dr. Now saying she has to be eating at least 3,000 calories a day if she's maintaining 400 lbs. Then the therapist asks her how many calories she IS eating: Well, she isn't really counting calories OMG. I can't even. That giant bowl of food - it might have been a salad (ha) or a tostada or something - she was eating in that one scene was WAY more food than she should have been eating.

The lie about the cancer is just beyond the pale. She's just a step away from those people who start Go Fund Me pages because they need money for cancer treatment, only they don't have cancer. Shame on her. NO doctor with any ethics would tell a patient they had cancer without the science to back up that diagnosis.

Her husband talking about how cancer can only be seen with a "telescope" Yes, he knows his wife hasn't gotten an actual cancer diagnosis, but how dare Dr. Now point that out? These people are ridiculous.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Her husband talking about how cancer can only be seen with a "telescope" Yes, he knows his wife hasn't gotten an actual cancer diagnosis, but how dare Dr. Now point that out? These people are ridiculous.
    I almost fell off the couch laughing after the telescope comment. Dr. Now threw a truth bomb at their dumb asses and he stomped out like a little kid. Perhaps you shouldn't self-diagnose medical conditions if you don't know the difference between microscopes and telescopes? Just a thought.

But yeah, Bettie Jo and her excuses (did he say she had Munchausen Syndrome?) were really irritating. At least Susan owned up to her bad habits.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I almost fell off the couch laughing after the telescope comment. Dr. Now threw a truth bomb at their dumb asses and he stomped out like a little kid. Perhaps you shouldn't self-diagnose medical conditions if you don't know the difference between microscopes and telescopes? Just a thought.

But yeah, Bettie Jo and her excuses (did he say she had Munchausen Syndrome?) were really irritating. At least Susan owned up to her bad habits.
    The scariest thing is that these two wahoos have a baby! Ugh!
    waywyrd likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post

Yes Dr. Now said that. They did not need a baby. I feel for the child. Betty Jo is a dependent person and wants to be catered to. The cancer issue was crazy. She had the surgery and still didn't follow what she should be doing so I am sure she will end up at 600 lbs again.

Susan at times frustrated me. I get the mentality of being so overweight and now life is different but come on get a grip.

I battle weight issues and it is hard at times to stay on a good eating plan and there are days I chuck it all and eat what I shouldn't but I have to tell myself you just don't need that fattening stuff. I am thankful its 30 lbs I battle and not 500.
    waywyrd and libgirl2 like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

When the therapist did not suggest to Susan that she move out from her mommy's grasp and live a life on her own, I actually shut off the program. She's a grown a** woman, move out already and begin a life of your own. Stop smoking, take care of yourself, live a long and healthy life. Sometimes I swear these people are addicted to the drama, attention and despair.
    nennie likes this.
    "A goal without a timeline is simply a dream" Robert Herjavec

FORT Newbie

Anyone here also watch the hoarding shows? (I indulge in multiple guilty pleasures, myself.) Betty Jo's husband reminds me so much of Joseph, who lived in Cincinnati with his (also hoarding) father and (also) had a baby he didn't need with a clueless girlfriend and had anger management problems. This guy getting "ticked off" over nothing in Dr. Now's office and storming off with that infant to "cool down" was a bit scary.
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
    Anyone here also watch the hoarding shows? (I indulge in multiple guilty pleasures, myself.) Betty Jo's husband reminds me so much of Joseph, who lived in Cincinnati with his (also hoarding) father and (also) had a baby he didn't need with a clueless girlfriend and had anger management problems. This guy getting "ticked off" over nothing in Dr. Now's office and storming off with that infant to "cool down" was a bit scary.
    Yep . . . I remember that Hoarders episode clearly. Another young man who has no clue of what it's like to live as an adult. Like having a job. They both seemed entitled to live by their own choices, and not liking anyone/anything that tries to make them act responsibly.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    I'm Paula.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Have to say, though, that Bettie Jo's son was adorable! Was watching the late rerun last night at 11 and fell asleep before the 1 a.m. end. Did she ever lose any more?

+ Reply to Thread