+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Watched Nikki's Supersize Edition last night. WTG, Nikki! What an unbelievable transformation! So happy for her. I was smiling from ear to ear. We take for granted such simple pleasures like riding a bike and she hadn't ridden one in 25 years!

I was wondering why she wore so many clothes as she was losing weight. At her last check-in before skin surgery she needed to be <300 lbs. She was 301 something and was approved. I was yelling at the TV telling her to take off her extra top layers. Maybe she wore so much out of modesty but I would think she'd be uncomfortable wearing so many layers.

I had thought the rule of thumb was that 10% of your weight loss is excess skin. Nikki had lost 350 lbs prior to skin surgery. That would equate to ~35 lbs of excess skin. Color me surprised when her abdominal mass weighed 56.5 lbs!!! Holy moly!

Also interesting to me how and where folks carry their weight. After skin surgery she was done to about 240 or so. When she went clothes shopping for pants I noticed she was much broader on top than on the bottom. I guess she was more of an apple shape.

Anywho, GREAT JOB, NIKKI! I wish her a happy, healthy life!

FORT Fogey

I get tired of watching these people living their lives online. If we didn't have the Internet, cable TV, social media, food delivery apps, etc. -- if they had to just lie in bed with nothing to do or to occupy them -- bet they'd be a lot more motivated to do whatever's necessary to become functional again. This sedentary way of life in America today makes disability way too comfortable for those who COULD change or avoid it.
    Mrs. Hanson likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Hmmm, guess rest of my reply didn't post.

Needed to be under 300. She was off by a lb. All she had to do was take off some layers of clothing and she would be under.

Interesting that her abdominal excess skin weighed in at 56.5 lbs. I'd thought excess skin from weight loss was equal to about 10% of total amount lost. She lost 350 lbs before skin surgery, so I thought that stomach roll would only be about 35 lbs.

When she went clothes shopping she was down to about 240. I noticed her thighs/ legs were more slender than her top. She was broader on top...I guess an apple shape. It's interesting to me how folks carry their weight.

Thanks, TLC, for an episode where we can cheer, after the last few horrid episodes.

WTG, Nikki! I hope she has a happy, healthy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Hmmm, guess rest of my reply didn't post.

Needed to be under 300. She was off by a lb. All she had to do was take off some layers of clothing and she would be under.

Interesting that her abdominal excess skin weighed in at 56.5 lbs. I'd thought excess skin from weight loss was equal to about 10% of total amount lost. She lost 350 lbs before skin surgery, so I thought that stomach roll would only be about 35 lbs.

When she went clothes shopping she was down to about 240. I noticed her thighs/ legs were more slender than her top. She was broader on top...I guess an apple shape. It's interesting to me how folks carry their weight.

Thanks, TLC, for an episode where we can cheer, after the last few horrid episodes.

WTG, Nikki! I hope she has a happy, healthy life.
    I carry my weight like she does. I have thin legs but a bigger stomach. Watching her before surgery, I said if I weighed 600 lbs I'd carry it just like her.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Newbie

Eastcoastmom, I too was so happy for her! She is a true inspiration!!

FORT Newbie

Anyone watching the new episode - Where are they now? Its Milla and Charity's 2nd years. I'm feeling for Milla tonight. She's had some tough breaks.

Charly - Charity's daughter - needs to get a job and work! Charity could get one too. I don't understand how all these people can't work when they get mobile again. One of them did - last week's success story I think - she went to work in a lawyer's office. First time I've seen that.
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliehorse View Post
    Anyone watching the new episode - Where are they now? Its Milla and Charity's 2nd years. I'm feeling for Milla tonight. She's had some tough breaks.

Charly - Charity's daughter - needs to get a job and work! Charity could get one too. I don't understand how all these people can't work when they get mobile again. One of them did - last week's success story I think - she went to work in a lawyer's office. First time I've seen that.
    Ashley from the first season went back to school and was coaching softball. We saw one of the men get back his job as a truck driver....in fact there might be several truckers in the group. Melissa from the first season went to work for Dr. Now, counseling new patients. We've seen several others go back to work as well. Nikki had a job as a costume designer in a theater department and she worked even when she was at her heaviest, although she definitely was able to do more once she lost weight.

Before the topic comes up yet again, the reason we're not going there with the discussion of how these people support themselves is because EVERY TIME we allow it, the discussion (which is largely speculative, because aside from Steven, none of the participants have talked about being on public assistance) devolves into demonizing anyone on public assistance and how they're a drain on taxpayers, affecting health care costs, etc. Even with Steven's episode, when we allowed discussion of the subject, the discussion inevitably went way off topic. We're just not going there any more because it's all largely speculative and the posts weren't discussing events that actually happen during the episode. There would be post after post that didn't once mention the show. It's really a discussion more suited to Current Events, but frankly, considering how combative things got in here, we really don't want it in CE either. I'm sure there are a multitude of other websites where the topic can be discussed ad nauseum.

On the topic of the show....
    I remember thinking back during Charity's first episode that her daughter wasn't too far behind her. Now she weighs more than Charity and seems intent on following the same path. You'd think that seeing what her mother went through would serve as a deterrent, but clearly it isn't. I think her job before might have just been taking care of her mother. Maybe she worked or went to school, but we never saw it. They do follow these folks for a year, so there's a lot we don't see.

I actually appreciate that we don't see everything. I mean, I didn't want to see Milla in the moments after her husband died. That feels far too personal (I know, an odd thing to say considering all we see on this show). They did the same thing when Chay's grandmother and Ashley's father died.

I seriously LOVE how Dr. Now doesn't let anyone off the hook when they try to make excuses for why they didn't lose weight. It's MATH. If you're eating what you should be eating, you lose the weight. I love that he literally gives them a calorie amount and they still want to argue about it. I'm always dumbfounded when they estimate how much they think they've lost and then they're off by like 30 pounds. How do you not know you've gained that much weight!? The worst was the guy who gained over 150 lbs. That's a whole person, and not a tiny one! AND he actually thought he'd lost weight! Maybe when you're over 500 lbs, 30 lbs doesn't seem like that much, but 150? What a disconnect.

Have they talked about WHY Milla can't walk? Does she have some underlying issue or injury? Plenty of people on this show who are much larger than that are ambulatory.
    Punkin and causingchaos like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

Actually Critical, I wasn't going anywhere with my post about Charly working except that there is no mention of working or any other activities that would help them not focus on food for a period of time every day. I know that some of them had jobs or have jobs. I was asking because it is better than sitting home all day with nothing to think about but food.

Yes, you would really think that a child or someone living with and affected by a morbidly obese person would not want to follow the same route. But there are children of alcoholics who end up one themselves. The one thing that all of these people need is counselling. Its obvious that there is something they are harboring that continues to affect them enough to make them get to this place in life.

My niece lost 135 lbs after gastric bypass. Her program consisted of counselling before to qualify for the surgery, and counselling through out the process and after it. It also guaranteed skin reduction surgery a year after the weight loss. She lost enough to get the skin surgery but she didn't change her eating habits so she hit a plateau and didn't lose anymore for a couple of years. She finally started an exercise program and changed her eating and lost more weight to a healthy goal weight. Counselling was the key for her being successful. You have to get to the root of why you eat and find out how not to use food to stuff the feelings done anymore.

The reason these people don't lose weight even tho they think they are following the diet is because they do not know about portion size. They have no idea how much food a person needs for the day and they think that if they follow the diet but the portions are huge, they won't lose weight. There is so much more education that needs to be done with this surgery. I wonder since they don't always show the whole program if all of this addressed enough for the patient.

I wondered why Milla can't walk too. Some of the people who are much heavier still can stand and walk. Maybe she is just so weak because she has refused to stand for so long?

FORT Fogey

Appparently it's not PC these days to suggest that they'd be better off working, but I agree; they obsess over food because they have nothing better to do all day!
    jenniferboston1 likes this.

Most of my food obsessing is at work because that's when I have the stress that drives me to want to eat. I'm also more likely to obsess if I'm sitting for extended periods of time. Like at work. At home I'm distracted by enjoyable projects.

+ Reply to Thread