+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Well I'd bet Sean will never enjoy a normal relationship with a woman. I just dont get enablers, especially parents. People are saying directly how they're killing their adult kids and they still don't get it. Usually, I try to watch for a happy ending, but OMG I was yelling at the TV. I was so engrossed in Sean's story, I fast forwarded Brittani's story.
    Critical, JosephD and Mrs. Hanson like this.
    "A goal without a timeline is simply a dream" Robert Herjavec

^^^ I'm sure you're right about Sean's odds of having a normal relationship. At this point, his odds aren't even good to have a normal life.

A number of years ago, there were some specials on (I think) TLC or Discovery titled something like, "Half Ton Dad" and "Half Ton Teen." I used to jokingly refer to them as the "New Years Resolution Specials" because they always seemed to air them around the beginning of the year. The young man who was the teen in question had a super dysfunctional relationship with his mother. Sean's relationship with his mom reminded me of them. They were even on Oprah, or one of her specials, and I remember a psychologist saying that they needed to get that mother away from her son because SHE was the main problem. It was so disturbing. She'd almost infantilized him, fattening him up to the point of immobility and dependency so he couldn't ever leave her.....except, of course, if he died from obesity-related illness. It was really twisted.

As I think someone else mentioned, Brittani's husband should be Dr. Now's patient too. It seems to be a theme that often the parent/spouse/significant other is also obese, just not as big as their loved one. I'm always particularly sad when the children are obese. Those kids didn't do that to themselves: it's the fault of the parents. They're setting their children up for a life of health issues and self-esteem problems and just a harder life. That one man who was on Skin Tight (is that what it's called? The skin removal show they piggyback on this one) this week had two very large children and it broke my heart. I hope that his dedication to a healthier lifestyle can help his children too.

I always wonder if Dr. Now actually says anything to the loved ones about losing weight themselves. The odds of weight loss success increase dramatically when the whole family is living and eating healthily.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, I watched the Half Ton Teen and you are spot on. I think he did lose some weight and can get around but that mother!
    Critical likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Watching "Nikki's" episode now. What a transformation. She could be my twin (if I were 150 lbs heavier). So glad she reached her goal. Hope she's able to maintain it now.
    libgirl2 likes this.

Some people on the TLC FB page were making snarky comments about how old Nikki looks in the hospital after her surgery. Possibly they're seeing her chin and neck, which do have some loose skin. That's to be expected, since she was so large and it could definitely be remedied by a neck lift, if she wanted one. She also probably looked older because a) she wasn't wearing makeup and b) she just had major freaking surgery! I thought that was a pretty rude thing to say. Maybe she does look older, but she'll definitely be able to LIVE longer now and THAT'S the most important thing! I was really impressed with her attitude and resolve to do what she needed to do, even with a few bumps in the road along the way. I liked the way Dr. Now encouraged her after telling her than she needed to lose another 100 lbs to get approved for skin removal surgery - in 4 months, she could get there. It took her longer than that (was it 6 months?), but you could see from her face that he said exactly the right thing.

One thing that always strikes me when watching this show and Skin Tight is that this kind of weight really does ruin your body. Even after the skin removal, their bodies do not look quite right. There's just no way to bring them back to what a "normal" body looks like. I'm thinking of how after Nikki's surgery, her stomach below her belly button looked smooth, but then above that, she had a roll of fat. I've seen it on one of the patients who had skin removal surgery on her legs too. I'm sure the scars heal up and fade a bit, but some of the patients look malformed and I wonder if there's a way to remedy that. I can imagine that's its really discouraging to work so hard and have an image in your mind of how you will look, but then when you lose the weight, the reality of how you look is very different.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I've known a bunch of people go through dramatic weightloss and they all look "old" mostly because of their lack of skin elasticity at that point. Some have done skin removal surgeries and lifts and what not (what it does to your breasts is not cute either) but most people can only afford so much reconstructive surgery. I've known a lot of super discouraged people especially those that can't afford any surgery afterwards (or who can't get it covered by insurance if they have it).

Having lost a considerable amount of weight myself (around 80 lbs, which sounds like child's play in the context of this show! ), I can only imagine what kind of loose skin I'd have if I'd lost much more than this. Nothing is too dramatically loose, at least not like what we see on this show, but I can see wanting at least a little lift of the twins once I'm at a stable weight. IIRC, many insurance companies cover a lift if you also get a reduction because, many times, a breast reduction is done because of shoulder or back pain. I'm not to the point of making any decisions, but I'm grateful that that's really the only surgery I'd need.....and frankly, it's mainly about aesthetics and not about mobility or anything.

I can't imagine what it must do to your self-esteem and emotional well-being to do SO much work in losing weight, but then have to carry around all that loose skin. IMO, Nikki's abdominal skin is the worst I've seen on this show. It must have been practically impossible to keep herself clean. Can you imagine how hot she must have been ALL the time? I also hadn't thought about how having it removed would affect her center of gravity so much. I guess getting rid of nearly 60 lbs of skin just hanging there makes a big difference!

I could have done without the shots of Nikki's non-healing wounds. Good Lord. I can't ever watch the skin removal surgery scenes - the giant blobs of skin and fat that they weigh = - but the scenes with her incisions were nearly as bad. This explains why I nixed the idea of medical school all those years ago!
    causingchaos likes this.

My sister lost a lot of weight. (We just Skype. I never saw the whole of her in person during the period of gain but I don’t think she was massive.) When she finished taking it off she wanted skin tucks. Lots of them. It was a series of surgeries and frankly sounded like torture to me and took a long time to heal. She was also dealing with severe depression and thought looking better would help her so my brother and I helped her with the expense (insurance didn’t cover any of it) because she really couldn’t afford it. She’s mid 60s. The skin wasn’t likely to renew on its own.

i think Nikki is gorgeous and I was very proud of her.
    Brooks and causingchaos like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    ^^^ I'm sure you're right about Sean's odds of having a normal relationship. At this point, his odds aren't even good to have a normal life.

A number of years ago, there were some specials on (I think) TLC or Discovery titled something like, "Half Ton Dad" and "Half Ton Teen." I used to jokingly refer to them as the "New Years Resolution Specials" because they always seemed to air them around the beginning of the year. The young man who was the teen in question had a super dysfunctional relationship with his mother. Sean's relationship with his mom reminded me of them. They were even on Oprah, or one of her specials, and I remember a psychologist saying that they needed to get that mother away from her son because SHE was the main problem. It was so disturbing. She'd almost infantilized him, fattening him up to the point of immobility and dependency so he couldn't ever leave her.....except, of course, if he died from obesity-related illness. It was really twisted.

As I think someone else mentioned, Brittani's husband should be Dr. Now's patient too. It seems to be a theme that often the parent/spouse/significant other is also obese, just not as big as their loved one. I'm always particularly sad when the children are obese. Those kids didn't do that to themselves: it's the fault of the parents. They're setting their children up for a life of health issues and self-esteem problems and just a harder life. That one man who was on Skin Tight (is that what it's called? The skin removal show they piggyback on this one) this week had two very large children and it broke my heart. I hope that his dedication to a healthier lifestyle can help his children too.

I always wonder if Dr. Now actually says anything to the loved ones about losing weight themselves. The odds of weight loss success increase dramatically when the whole family is living and eating healthily.
    I think people forget that skin is weight and the fat just under the skin too. It's basically having floppy weight hanging off of you. And you can't just work it off. I had 2 coworkers their abdominal skin removal covered and one get skin removal around the breasts and arms covered due to skin issues. One had psoriasis and it was causing some some wounds with that. The other one just had wounds and open areas. They both got a tummy tuck as part of that surgery and I think the one also got a breast lift but it was considered therapeutic due to the skin problems she was having.

From the people I've talked to that's one reality they haven't really been adequately prepared for. They got prepped for the plateaus and the possible weight gain back. But all that aesthetic stuff no one talked to them about and they come out feeling really depressed. Some don't even want their spouses to see them.

+ Reply to Thread