+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

^ Well, Debb said he doesn't work out so not sure how active he is.

A LOT has to do with metabolism. But even having a fairly fast metabolism isn't going to help when someone is consuming the thousands of calories these folks are daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    ^ Well, Debb said he doesn't work out so not sure how active he is.

A LOT has to do with metabolism. But even having a fairly fast metabolism isn't going to help when someone is consuming the thousands of calories these folks are daily.
    Sometimes its not so much working out, but is he someone who takes an evening walk? Probably not. Just lucky I guess. But I'm sure he isn't eating have of what these people are. Dr. Now said yesterday the one guy was eating 20,000 calories a day. This man might eat a lot but he isn't just laying around doing nothing but eating.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

^ True. He's gainfully employed.

The pretty girl, I think you are right, her name was Nikki. The donut run and the dumbwaiter were absolutely mind boggling.
    Charity had not seen her family in a number of years as she was unable to travel. Her mom was battling brain cancer and she wanted to lose the weight so she would be able to go visit her. I felt so bad for her when her mom passed before she was able to see her one last time.

O/T but as far as enablers go, a little story.

For my 1st pregnancy I gained a total of 30 lbs, which was not a huge amount. Through my 7th month I had only put on 10 lbs and hardly looked pregnant. July and August arrived and in the heat of the summer I retained water something awful and put on 10 lbs each month...straight to my legs and feet. Ugh! I lost it as soon as my son was delivered.

Now, I ate a normal amount during pregnancy. Never ate for 2. Didn't have odd cravings. But I have a wicked sweet tooth. So one night I asked my hubby if he would go to Carvel and get me a soft serve vanilla sundae. He refused, saying it was too late. It was 11 p.m. I told him I was craving something sweet. I remember to this day his exact words : Eat a peach!

So, the gist of that story is where do these folks find their enablers? Even during pregnancy my husband wouldn't give in to my whims.
    And lest you think he's an ogre...he's really a very laid back easy going sweetheart of a man. But knowing my issues he's never been one to placate my sweet tooth.
    Last edited by Eastcoastmom; 05-27-2016 at 04:51 PM.
    Punkin and Cornholio like this.

I watch this show sometimes. I did see the episode with the young lady who lived in the upstairs because it was too difficult for her to walk downstairs and her parents sent her donuts up the dumbwaiter. I feel bad for all the bed ridden people, but sometimes I just have to change the channel because I get so mad at the family and friends who enable them that I just want to throw a shoe at my TV. I don't do it, but I want to.

The family and friends cry buckets of tears about how much they love the person with the weight problem and how they don't want to lose that person, how they don't know what they'll do if their loved one were to die. But then in the very next scene they're fixing that person a big 'ole bucket of KFC, with mac n' cheese, biscuits and gravy and a root beer float to wash it all down. I'm telling ya -- I want to throw a shoe!!!!
    Cornholio likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I participate in another discussion board (sorry!). There are lots of conversations there about some of the issues raised here. We've hashed out things like "how do these people afford to live" and "why don't the 'enablers' STOP enabling?" There just don't seem to be many easy answers.

Those of us with a grain of sense know that it's no more expensive to eat healthy than to eat at fast food. A lot of the problem is the sheer volume of how MUCH these people eat. It costs less to eat less. But most of the folks on Dr. Now's show are on public assistance and food stamps. It's not their money they're spending, so they don't have a lot of accountability as to how it's spent.

Also, because of our wonderful "system," these family members are PAID to take care of their "disabled" loved ones. So the 600+ pounder is classified as disabled (because of their own bad choices), and then their next of kin is designated as a caregiver and collects a check for doing not much more than picking up a bag of burgers. The caregiver won't have an easy time finding another job that pays as well for the little they do. It appears that many of them are living in subsidized housing, so in addition to being given money for food, they are provided with a low-cost place to live.

The bottom line is (IMHO) addicts can only choose health if they want to. I just don't feel like we all have to pay for people to continue in lifestyles that will eventually cost them their lives.

/rant
    libgirl2 likes this.
    I'm Paula.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I participate in another discussion board (sorry!). There are lots of conversations there about some of the issues raised here. We've hashed out things like "how do these people afford to live" and "why don't the 'enablers' STOP enabling?" There just don't seem to be many easy answers.

Those of us with a grain of sense know that it's no more expensive to eat healthy than to eat at fast food. A lot of the problem is the sheer volume of how MUCH these people eat. It costs less to eat less. But most of the folks on Dr. Now's show are on public assistance and food stamps. It's not their money they're spending, so they don't have a lot of accountability as to how it's spent.

Also, because of our wonderful "system," these family members are PAID to take care of their "disabled" loved ones. So the 600+ pounder is classified as disabled (because of their own bad choices), and then their next of kin is designated as a caregiver and collects a check for doing not much more than picking up a bag of burgers. The caregiver won't have an easy time finding another job that pays as well for the little they do. It appears that many of them are living in subsidized housing, so in addition to being given money for food, they are provided with a low-cost place to live.

The bottom line is (IMHO) addicts can only choose health if they want to. I just don't feel like we all have to pay for people to continue in lifestyles that will eventually cost them their lives.

/rant
    There was one woman, Laura, I believe, who's husband met and married her when she was already obese. They didn't seem to have any kind of a sexual relationship. Rumors floated that he married her so he could get paid to just take care of her. I believe he even said something to the effect that this isn't what he was expecting after he had to clean her when she soiled herself in the car (probably all the food that she stuffed down on the trip). Though she did lose quite a bit of weight and was able to get around again. He was not happy. Probably thinking he was going to lose his meal ticket if she didn't need his as caretaker anymore.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I would love that metabolism too. Is he very active?
    Well, from what he says, he doesn't work out. I know he doesn't run. They have a couple of large dogs, so maybe he plays with them outside each day. His arms look rather fit, so maybe he lifts weights. I suppose that could burn some calories. He goes out to lunch everyday at work and usually with co-workers and has a very ample meal, usually Philly cheese steak, pizza, burgers, barbeque, chicken, steak, etc. He's never been one for light fare. He often brings in doughnuts, cakes, cookies, and shares with the office, but he finishes off what's not eaten. lol He calls himself the human garbage disposal. He says he's the same size as he was in college and I believe it. His tummy is flat, thin legs, etc. He sits at at desk most of the day, though, he looks like if he had to run fast he could do it. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Well, from what he says, he doesn't work out. I know he doesn't run. They have a couple of large dogs, so maybe he plays with them outside each day. His arms look rather fit, so maybe he lifts weights. I suppose that could burn some calories. He goes out to lunch everyday at work and usually with co-workers and has a very ample meal, usually Philly cheese steak, pizza, burgers, barbeque, chicken, steak, etc. He's never been one for light fare. He often brings in doughnuts, cakes, cookies, and shares with the office, but he finishes off what's not eaten. lol He calls himself the human garbage disposal. He says he's the same size as he was in college and I believe it. His tummy is flat, thin legs, etc. He sits at at desk most of the day, though, he looks like if he had to run fast he could do it. Go figure.
    he is one of those rare human beings (and usually male) who just doesn't gain weight.

I've watched every episode of this show and it strikes a deep chord. Although my weight fluctuates from average to 50 pounds overweight, I often feel exactly like those 600-pounders. It's good to see that Dr. Now is recommending counseling for these patients, because in my experience, the psychological component is the most important factor in obesity and weight loss. Of course the laws of biology apply: You need to burn off more than you take in; you need to eat the right foods and exercise. But knowing this, and following the advice are two vastly different things.

My weight gains weren't because I didn't know how to eat properly or because I had a slow metabolism (although I do think that's a real thing). I ate as a reward, as a comfort, to ease anxiety, to celebrate and even to punish myself. I lose weight and start to feel good, which leads to dating and sometimes career advancement. Then for some reason I still don't quite understand, I gain it back. This isn't a conscious decision, but it does create a barrier to intimacy and success -- which must be a hidden motivator. I really believe that we create a life we think we deserve, rather than a life we want. And for me, the biggest self-sabotage is overeating.
    Cornholio likes this.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." George Orwell

Let's keep the discussion on the show and not on various weight loss theories or personal stories. This thread is already veering off topic after just one day.
    Mrs. Hanson likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread