+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

Re: My 600 Pound Life (TLC)

And remember, at the beginning of every show they remind us that only 5% of patients who undergo the program have any long term success. That's pretty low odds.
    Lynda

I think that 5% statistic has been proven false. IIRC, it was from a study done decades ago that has since been debunked. Regardless, it doesn't have anything to do with a person's personality. They can fail at the diet and not be a complete jerk.

Clearly, you don't get to over 600 lbs JUST because you love food, so these people have a lot of emotional and often psychological issues. I'm always happy when Dr. Now makes them go the therapy, but I wonder if any of them continue seeing a therapist after the show is done filming.
    Last edited by Critical; 03-28-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    Punkin, libgirl2, FlyAKite and 1 others like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I think that 5% statistic has been proven false. IIRC, it was from a study done decades ago that has since been debunked. Regardless, it doesn't have anything to do with a person's personality. They can fail at the diet and not be a complete jerk.

Clearly, you don't get to over 600 lbs JUST because you love food, so these people have a lot of emotional and often psychological issues. I'm always happy when Dr. Now makes them go the therapy, but I wonder if any of them continue seeing a therapist after the show is done filming.
    Exactly. I think therapy has to play a part in the weight loss. Enjoying food might make you overweight, but morbidly obese means there are other issues there. It can be abuse, a trauma or just very poor self esteem.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

I'd love to know the statistic on the "success rate" for therapy... Bet it's far less than 5%, so that's not the answer, either... Give them nothing but healthy food and a job to do and then make them do it; that'll get them moving and take their minds off eating junk 24/7...

I am sorry but I am going to need a pass from the snark rules for tonight's show. Sorry 2 kids both over 700 pounds???
    KathyinMaine likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I am sorry but I am going to need a pass from the snark rules for tonight's show. Sorry 2 kids both over 700 pounds???
    We ALWAYS encourage snark. The issue was the ongoing discussion of whether or not participants are on public assistance. The discussion had become redundant and was veering both off the topic of this show and into "beating a dead horse" territory, which we don't allow. We've always held to the "state your opinion and move on" rule around here.

So tonight's person isn't that dirtbag who treated the nurses like crap and ordered pizza from the hospital? Darn. I was looking forward to hating on him.

When I said the participants should be in therapy, it wasn't about the success rate of therapy, per se (nor would I consider "success" the goal of therapy, but that's another topic for a different thread). We've seen again and again on these shows that people don't get to these huge sizes just because they love to eat: there's almost always an underlying issue. With many, it's often abuse or grief or trauma that triggers the initial large weight gain. IMO, if you don't get to that cause, understand why it drives you to eat AND then deal with that emotion in different ways, you'll NEVER be successful in losing and keeping the weight off. There was a participant on (I think) Extreme Weight Loss who was totally blocked and unable to make any progress. It turned out that he was in the closet and the emotion that resulted was keeping him from progressing. When someone weighs 600 lbs, there's more going on than just someone eating junk food 24/7. That's often the symptom of an underlying issue....or at least the result of a triggering circumstance that got them into the pattern of eating junk food 24/7.

On these weight loss shows I've seen people start gaining because they've been raped/sexually abused, because they lost a loved one, because of a parental divorce.....all sorts of emotional and physical trauma. If they aren't given tools to deal with the emotion from those events, they'll never keep the weight off. It's hard to lose weight and keep it off no matter what, but when you're using food as an emotional crutch, it's next to impossible. I'd guess that the overwhelming majority of these people have NO awareness of how they're using food to deal with emotion. Even if they ARE aware, they don't know how to NOT do it.

You can't keep these people locked in the hospital and on a controlled diet forever. As soon as they get out - if they haven't dealt with the issues that contributed to the weight gain - they'll just gain it all back. You can't just cure an anorexic by force feeding them. It's not just about the food.
    Punkin, Brooks and causingchaos like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

That is one of the many things that annoy me about this show. Dr Now puts them in the hospital for months to adhere to a diet without first dealing with the reason they got to 600 pounds in the first place. I just don't understand at all.
    woodiedog likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Exactly PA Snow Bunny! They all should start therapy right away as part of the plan.
    They've been trying to fill the holes in their souls with food.
    You can't just take food away and call them cured.
    FlyAKite likes this.

I have to believe that there's a lot going on that we don't see. After all, they're condensing a year's worth of filming into two hours. Among the things I HOPE are going on that don't make the cut are a) meetings with nutritionists and b) counseling, counseling, counseling! I'd hate to think that the handful we see going to therapy are the only ones going.

I think one of the functions of them being in the hospital on a controlled diet is to dispel all that "I can't lose weight even though I'm hardly eating anything" nonsense. It also gives them a little kickstart and shows them that they CAN lose weight and, generally, they lose a good amount of it in the hospital. Of course, I'm sure some of them hit the McDonald's drive thru on the way home from their hospital stay....
    AZChristian likes this.

I just checked the TLC FB page and tonight's episode is the "pizza guy" from the article I linked to upthread. Apparently, his brother is as big or almost as big as he is. I hope his brother isn't as big of a jerk. I don't think I could take watching two of them. I'm not even sure I can get through a whole episode with just one. I have trouble enough getting through one of his YouTube vids.

+ Reply to Thread