+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Outdaughtered - TLC

Re: Outdaughtered - TLC

Seems like when the Gosslin kids were born, donations for diapers, and formula, and all kinds of other stuff flowed in, why isn't this couple getting them? Are they not a big deal anymore? I think they would be much better off moving closer to their families for help and support. I'm sure the husband could find work there.

Moving closer to family was my first thought, but it sounds like his job might be something that he could not relocate with. If that's the case, then you have to keep the income coming in, but there could be other reasons too. Maybe, they know that family is going to provide them with only so much assistance and that on a day to day basis, they would still be on their own.

I read that they are church members. I missed that episode. I would imagine the church members would have arranged something, like volunteers for at least day per week or a donation.

I also find it difficult to believe that a formula company would not donate something for them with 5 babies. It doesn't make sense.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

"Donations" for the Gosselin kids "flowed in" because Jon and Kate made it a full-time career to live off their kids. She had fertility treatments because she (as a nurse) knew the probability they would have a litter instead of just one or two kids. He was heard to say, "I'll never have to work another day in my life" as soon as they confirmed the expected multiples.

Kate milked every system, every kind-hearted person, every church she could get in touch with - even before J&K+8. Kate's family was not involved because Kate didn't WANT them involved.

IMHO, totally different from the "Outdaughtered" couple, at least so far. I hope "fame" doesn't ruin them.
    tapper01 likes this.
    I'm Paula.

It appears this was a 4-episode series which is now finished, at least by my Tivo schedule for the upcoming weeks. No new shows are scheduled. Unless the network decides to continue on with the show at a later date, we won't get to see if they move from Houston to Port Charles or not and whether the father quits his job (which I would think foolish at this crucial time in their lives) or not.

On the last show, we saw they have a strong church affiliation in Port Charles, plus family and friends but apparently do not have this in Houston. I find it a tough call for them to make whether to move or not. Houston=secure job, no support system and higher housing costs; Port Charles=lower housing costs and larger support system but possible employment difficulties. I'd hate for the father to have to commute between the two cities, two hours apart. Coming home only on weekends would not be a very satisfactory solution either. Would love to know what decision they make.
    Arielflies likes this.

I think this will be a short lived series. Just the few episodes. The multiples premise is not new....and neither are the problems. I thought the husband seemed very nervous to be looking at new homes..... I mean genuinely nervous. I love watching the babies. The one called Hazel Grace seemed to be a chronic malcontent (there's one in every bunch). I doubt there will be any followup shows. There's not enough there to be interesting for an hour.
    I don't always act like a bitch; but when I do, I'm the lead float in the bitch parade.

Did they say why they needed a new house? I know that room would be an issue, but I would try to keep my eye on the budget first. With all those expenses, I'd think that tight quarters would work for awhile.

I didn't see the new house episode but the 3 hour special with extra facts. One of the extra blurbs said that they have now hired someone to come in a few days a week. I think they may need to have show up on TV specials occasionally to get some money to pay off some of those medical bills.

I think they are a sweet family. It all looks overwhelming to me. I can't imagine 5 babies all at once.

Weird question related to watching them with the 2 am feeding. I nursed my daughter on demand so I don't know how the bottle thing with a schedule works. My daughter would sleep 7 hours through the night by 8 weeks (yes, I know I was lucky!). When do you try to get the bottle fed babies off that 2am feeding? I imagine that with the five babies it wouldn't be as easy to ditch that 2am feeding but I don't even know how that works.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Bottle by demand is similar to nursing by demand. I was a young first-time mother, and thought we had to maintain the "every four hours" schedule. After two nights, I realized that I was waking the baby for the 2:00 feeding, and decided to let him wake me instead. He slept until 5:00. When hubby's alarm went off, it woke the baby. But until I got to the crib, I was terrified that he had starved to death because he didn't wake up to eat.
    I'm Paula.

Oh I love this show! I like the couple too. They seem like people I would be friends with. I love Hazel Grace! The babies and the little girl are all adorable. I hope they hired help and found a bigger house that wasn't too over their budget.

FORT Fanatic

The Mom kept saying that they needed a house big enough for all of them, even though it sounded like they couldn't afford it. "We'll make it work." Hmm... how? Seems like it'd be better to buy a house that you can afford that might seem cramped, than to buy a house that you might end up having to lose if you can't make the payments. It's not just the cost of the house itself but higher property tax (depending on the state), additional cost to heat and cool a large house, extra furniture, etc.

Their situation seemed a bit overwhelming re: caring for that many babies. It'll be even tougher when they're all mobile... I wish them well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast