+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: American Grit (Thursdays on FOX)

Re: American Grit (Thursdays on FOX)

Ivette had a huge fight with Marc about how she had suffered that I thought whoa girl "everyone has baggage" she is not unique but she seemed to think she was.
    No goat killers on my island.

I like how Noah didn't pick the biggest and strongest he went with the ones he thought would work well together.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Actually, Noah did go for the biggest and strongest. He went for the lumberjack. But the only way he could get him was by taking what the other team leaders considered to be weak players. Big mistake on the part of the other team leaders. Plus, I really think Noah's leadership is significantly better than the other team leaders. I'm team Noah all the way.
    Cornholio likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Rewatching the previous episodes, especially in episode 2, I get a sense that Roarke Denver, the leader for the blue team (the Navy SEAL), isn't necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed; in a situation where the leading team had arrived on the opposite shore, secured their key and oar and had departed even before they arrived, Roarke somehow thought his team would be able to catch up by simply taking the case (with the oar inside) back to the other side, when basic logic would dictate doing so would put his team at a disadvantage in both weight and number of usable oars, meaning they'd have fewer people rowing more weight, and in a situation where not winning would mean going into an elimination round, that kind of disadvantage would only further increase the leading team's lead. Then, in episode 3, he makes a comment that Tee's team is at an advantage during the Evolution because they have less work to do, even though, per person, that is not the case at all and the reduced numbers of hands and heads actually is a large disadvantage to begin with; he further likes to use military language, then complain when it seems like his team fail to understand what he's saying, even when it might simply be a communication issue that is coming from him.

Although, honestly, in terms of grabbing the case and going, the red team's leader made an even worse decision, given he was already down a team member for the evolution.

Also, Denver keeps harping on digging deep and heart and what somebody can bring to the table beyond what their body can do, but that to me sounds irresponsible and incredibly dangerous for the people involved, because, while you might be able to will yourself to do more than your body could handle, that's likely to result in lasting damage, and the reality is, unless it's a wholly mental challenge, it doesn't matter how much more you want it than anybody else if your body gives out, as demonstrated by Brooke in episode 2's Circus. I mean, it's nice to have willpower, the willingness to push hard and to never quit, but at the end of the day, I don't believe for a second a person can will themselves beyond what their body will allow them without either their body breaking down (like in Brooke's case) or simply becoming damaged over the long run, and while the latter might be acceptable in a life-or-death situation like combat (and I thank Roarke Denver for his service), in a civilian situation with no lives at risk, it's simply an irresponsible thing to do so, and it's even more irresponsible for Denver to advocate for it, and if one of the people under his care becomes injured in the long term because of what he is advocating, it should be on his head, even though the competitor probably signed a waiver.

I mean, I want to like the show (and I kind of do), but I feel like I'm watching a show with one team leader who is too arrogant and headstrong (Tee), one team leader who lacks critical thinking skills, is irresponsible and is unable to communicate in a way understandable by subordinates (Roarke), one team leader who is unable to distinguish between good ideas and bad ideas (Nick), and just one team leader who understands how to lead (Noah), and that's kind of disappointing, because I came into the series thinking all four team leaders would be good at leading people, and it's turning out to be not the case.
    Cornholio and etching like this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Maria again causes conflict with in the team. She admits she is a better individual player than a team player and she proved it by getting tossed into the Circus, coming in dead last and being eliminated. I noticed none of her teammates bothered going down and hugging her goodbye and it looked as if her coach didn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Maria again causes conflict with in the team. She admits she is a better individual player than a team player and she proved it by getting tossed into the Circus, coming in dead last and being eliminated. I noticed none of her teammates bothered going down and hugging her goodbye and it looked as if her coach didn't either.
    And from what I saw, it's because her team sucks. The only reason they wanted to see her go (except Kjoy, who actually has common sense) was because the two a-holes Jim and Cam didn't like her, not because of anything regarding challenges. Notice that two big reasons red team lost was because in a previous episode, they didn't follow Maria's advice of marking the puzzle pieces (and she finished her puzzle in seconds because she did mark them) and in this one because the rest of the team took ages studying the silhouettes, which made them fall far behind. Maria also called Jim out on his bullcrap about "sabotaging Team Noah" and also called Cam out on how he's focusing so much on Haze, someone from another team, and that made them hate her more. She was blunt as hell, but was clearly smart and could see things clearly and concentrate.

And even though Maria was dead last in this elimination challenge, when it came to the endurance, she was killing it. She was standing there solid and Yvette was close to falling, and the only reason Maria lost was because she slipped during a transition, she never once gave up. Cam was actively rooting against her and made no secret of it, he's far more a poison to the team than Maria ever was, and he's more focused on showing off and getting into Haze's pants that in the actual competition. Jim has been all negative since week one. And as HaikenEdge pointed out, Nick can't even distinguish between good ideas and bad ideas, so it just smells to me that he wanted Maria to go because he thinks with her gone, the two "strong guys" will "focus" better. I just wanna see them lose so bad.

It did seem from previous episodes that Maria butted heads with both men in her team from the beginning. There was never a team there, too many egos.

It's starting to feel like Roarke, Nick and Tee are just bad at this coaching civilians thing.

Tee's already moved onto the bargaining stage, because she knows her chances for winning are now very, very slim. I am curious as to what happens when either Ivette or Tony is eliminated during a Circus, though, if a competitor cannot be sent into the Circus on consecutive weeks, or if that will change when a team only has one competitor left.

I'm surprised, though, that Jim wasn't reprimanded for wanting to play dirty; in a show where the military is fetishized to a point where there're supposed to be these honorable heroes who can do no wrong, you'd think playing dirty would be something they'd find undesirable because it would negatively portray the associated military, and the fact it's coming from a police officer itself is kind of surprising, because now it makes me want to question whether Jim might "play dirty" if he keeps getting beaten by somebody he thinks is a criminal to whom charges won't stick. It's not a good look for them.

I feel like the knife-training exercise, if only done as shown, is impractical and only breeds a false sense of confidence in the civilians. Self-defense against sharp implements shouldn't be that easy, and it really feels like the entire exercise was don't at partial speed, rather than live speed, and in an impractically simple situation.

Nick has done nothing to make me think he's gotten better at recognizing good and bad ideas; if anything, he's made me think he might be a good soldier but a poor commanding officer, though that might be the case anyways if his rank within the military was never high enough to be given any sort of command, which I can't tell because I can't seem to find his rank at the time of his discharge/separation. The fact he thought Maria had already given up, as opposed to Jim, makes me glad he's not actually in a position of leadership in the military right now.

I feel like, if the teams were to do a redraft know then what they know now, the results would probably be similar because Noah would probably have taken the participants who have lead to the least drama and built his team around that. It really feels like, while building their teams, the other leaders picked the best individual pieces without consideration as to how they'd function as a unit, while Noah found a central piece and tried to fit complementary pieces around them.

According to the preview, Green Team finally loses an Evolution and goes into the Circus. Should be an interesting one.
    Revenge is ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by HaikenEdge View Post
    It's starting to feel like Roarke, Nick and Tee are just bad at this coaching civilians thing.

Tee's already moved onto the bargaining stage, because she knows her chances for winning are now very, very slim. I am curious as to what happens when either Ivette or Tony is eliminated during a Circus, though, if a competitor cannot be sent into the Circus on consecutive weeks, or if that will change when a team only has one competitor left.

I'm surprised, though, that Jim wasn't reprimanded for wanting to play dirty; in a show where the military is fetishized to a point where there're supposed to be these honorable heroes who can do no wrong, you'd think playing dirty would be something they'd find undesirable because it would negatively portray the associated military, and the fact it's coming from a police officer itself is kind of surprising, because now it makes me want to question whether Jim might "play dirty" if he keeps getting beaten by somebody he thinks is a criminal to whom charges won't stick. It's not a good look for them.

I feel like the knife-training exercise, if only done as shown, is impractical and only breeds a false sense of confidence in the civilians. Self-defense against sharp implements shouldn't be that easy, and it really feels like the entire exercise was don't at partial speed, rather than live speed, and in an impractically simple situation.

Nick has done nothing to make me think he's gotten better at recognizing good and bad ideas; if anything, he's made me think he might be a good soldier but a poor commanding officer, though that might be the case anyways if his rank within the military was never high enough to be given any sort of command, which I can't tell because I can't seem to find his rank at the time of his discharge/separation. The fact he thought Maria had already given up, as opposed to Jim, makes me glad he's not actually in a position of leadership in the military right now.

I feel like, if the teams were to do a redraft know then what they know now, the results would probably be similar because Noah would probably have taken the participants who have lead to the least drama and built his team around that. It really feels like, while building their teams, the other leaders picked the best individual pieces without consideration as to how they'd function as a unit, while Noah found a central piece and tried to fit complementary pieces around them.

According to the preview, Green Team finally loses an Evolution and goes into the Circus. Should be an interesting one.
    I do agree with your assessment on the male trainers, but with Tee, I don't feel like she's bargaining so much as she realized what she's been doing wrong and is trying to correct her earlier mistakes. She's being very supportive and calm with her team, which is nice to see. Her change of attitude seems to be paying off too, as this is the third week in a row that her team comes in second during the challenge, with this week and last week just barely being beaten by the Green Team. But while Tee's learning from her mistakes, Roarke and Nick are not.

So next week Noah's team finally doesn't win a challenge. From the preview, it seems like Roarke's team won't be the winners, since we see someone telling Goldie that she quit and she says she didn't, so that means it's highly likely that the winning team is either Nick's or Tee's, and I really hope it's Tee's. Otherwise Nick and the two "men" on his team will be insufferable if they win after Maria went home.

Nick's team wins the Evolution, as the preview shows the competitors in the Circus are from the blue, green and grey teams.
    Revenge is ice cream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast