+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Born This Way A&E TUE @ 10/9c

Re: Born This Way A&E TUE @ 10/9c

Okay, I haven't watched the show very much, however, I have liked most of what I have seen.

I did have a little issue with this one incident regarding the young lady who tested with Pre-diabetes lately. The doctor and her mom seemed to warn her that if she didn't lose weight and get her blood sugar down, she would have to take shots of insulin. Well......that is very unlikely for a Type II diabetic, which is what they portrayed she might become. MOST Type II diabetics take pills, if diet and exercise don't work, and it often is enough to lower the blood sugar to a good level. Taking insulin is not likely to occur immediately with a Type II and even if down the road, when she was older and her diabetes got worse, shots are not that bad and you can get a pump that does not require shots.

I suppose that I'm super sensitive about diabetes, since I am a Type I. Treating insulin injections that way didn't seem fair to me. Plus, a lot of young people do have to take shots and I just didn't think it accurately portrayed taking multiple daily injections. First of all they are not painful, as they portrayed it. And it doesn't mean you are going to die. As they portrayed it.

I also think that the young lady was unnecessarily frightened into eating better. I get the point and why they did it, but, I just don't like it. I'm surprised a doctor participated in doing that.

If a show is going to discuss a topic like diabetes, I think they have a responsibility to get the facts straight and not skew them to suit their purposes. Okay. I'm off my soapbox. lol
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Good Lord.. this show ALWAYS gets me crying!!!

John and his singing.. I cried!

Stephen crushing on Meghan.. I about died with how he was acting at the bowling alley. With DS people, I'm sure emotions are 100x more amplified than 'typicals'. Gah! Meghan must be interested too, it was very obvious when her bf was there. Then she said, "this isn't the right time".

Cristina and the ballroom competition!!! OMG, loveeeed how the show put it all together the way they did. Of course I cried again!! lol

Rachel, omgg... next week a guy asks her on a date!! Her and Steven are my faves. I was wondering though, since she isn't suppose to have sweets 'n such.. wonder if her mom knew she ate smores while camping? Hmm.
    Glad she went!!!

Sean, Wow!! This gf came outta nowhere!! SO SO happy for him. Glad he iterated that the ring was a "promise ring" though!! He's so ready to marry someone.. lol

Elena and her poetry reading... another crying moment for me!!! Hopefully she keeps on doing things out of her comfort zone, it can only help her!!

LOVE these people~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJaoInun2nU
    What I love about this video the most................ Rachel noticed Elena shaking and having a hard time and went over and gave her a hug and love.

This deserved the Emmy win, congrats to them!!!!!

Oh, also in another video I watched, Meghan is arm and arm with Steven!!!! OMGGGGggg... sniff!!
    Punkin, AmyKay and woodiedog like this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    ... I also think that the young lady was unnecessarily frightened into eating better. I get the point and why they did it, but, I just don't like it...
    I appreciate all you said about being accurate when portraying an illness to the public and perhaps they should have shown more of the parent/doctor conversation(s). My two cents is about only this point: I'm glad to read that you understand why they did it. Sometimes the grey areas won't work for someone who lives in a more simplistic world of black and white.
    Maveno and Debb70 like this.

ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    Good Lord.. this show ALWAYS gets me crying!!!

John and his singing.. I cried!

Stephen crushing on Meghan.. I about died with how he was acting at the bowling alley. With DS people, I'm sure emotions are 100x more amplified than 'typicals'. Gah! Meghan must be interested too, it was very obvious when her bf was there. Then she said, "this isn't the right time".

Cristina and the ballroom competition!!! OMG, loveeeed how the show put it all together the way they did. Of course I cried again!! lol

Rachel, omgg... next week a guy asks her on a date!! Her and Steven are my faves. I was wondering though, since she isn't suppose to have sweets 'n such.. wonder if her mom knew she ate smores while camping? Hmm.
    Glad she went!!!

Sean, Wow!! This gf came outta nowhere!! SO SO happy for him. Glad he iterated that the ring was a "promise ring" though!! He's so ready to marry someone.. lol

Elena and her poetry reading... another crying moment for me!!! Hopefully she keeps on doing things out of her comfort zone, it can only help her!!

LOVE these people~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJaoInun2nU
    What I love about this video the most................ Rachel noticed Elena shaking and having a hard time and went over and gave her a hug and love.

This deserved the Emmy win, congrats to them!!!!!

Oh, also in another video I watched, Meghan is arm and arm with Steven!!!! OMGGGGggg... sniff!!

As I was watching Christina dancing at the competition, and doing so nicely, I couldn't help but think that Dancing With The Stars might be an interesting show for her to be on. Every season they have someone with a disability participate in the show. My only concern would be how she might accept criticism and being voted off. I'd hate to see her have hurt feelings.
    Maveno likes this.

liver spotted hands Realitychick's Avatar

Cried like a baby during the wedding dress scene. Everyone deserves to feel beautiful and special. Love this show.
    Punkin and Maveno like this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

So Megan, Mom, and Megology just might stay in California? Glad to see it and yet this is the only situation that gives me troubles. Not sure why.

I am glad they show how the parents are faced with concerns. The parents must let their kids try, but know that some things will just not pan out. Although these adults with downs are high functioning, they will still be dependent on others for some things.
    Marriage, babies, independent living, etc will be difficult for the adults with Downs. The best thing the parents can do is set the kids up with the proper support system so that when the parents can no longer care for their kids, someone else can.
    Punkin, Maveno and KTinCT like this.

For some unknown reason the finale hasn't been on demand, I have checked every day. Finally I watched it at work today at lunch and that was a mistake! Oh, the tears. I love these "kids" (they are adults, I know) Hope they return for another season, and I hope Stephen and Meg work out, I like them for each other!
    Punkin, Realitychick and Maveno like this.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Right, woodiedog. As much as we all want the best for them and believe they can prove the world wrong, we shouldn't forget that we don't see them at 8-to-5 functioning jobs. It's one thing to love them and another to create a world for them. God bless those parents!
    Punkin, Maveno and woodiedog like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast