+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Born This Way A&E TUE @ 10/9c

Re: Born This Way A&E TUE @ 10/9c

I just like to learn from them.
    Want to hug 'em.
    Would truly appreciate their hugging me.
    AmyKay likes this.

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

I find this show compelling because the average viewer holds strong misconceptions and stereotypes towards people with DS. Unintentionally dehumanizing them in the process. How often do we hear folks say "They (folks with DS) are so sweet and adorable." Even when talking about adults with DS. AS if they do not have the same feelings , moods and unique individual traits as typical people. Here , we have a group of folks who happen top have DS, in lesser or greater degree and we learn each one of them is different from the next. In fact, I think it's a huge win when we find ourselves irritated by Elena's manipulative behavior, or we cringe over Sean's(?) creeper behavior. We know one of the girls is a bit spoiled by an overprotective Mom who means well.They aren't always nice or kind or smiling-just like typical people.
    This isn't exploitation at all. Because it isn't cheesy or trashy or demeaning. They each express their thoughts clearly and have a good grasp as to why they are doing this show and what it is about.
    People with disabilities are not all helpless -or utterly incapable of making decisions that are sound. Each of the families involved clearly love their children and I have nothing but respect for all involved. They KNOW they are part of a show that truly is changing peoples perceptions about DS. For the better.
    Maveno likes this.
    "Almost everybody has a hard time apologizing if they feel “over accused”, that is, pushed to assume more than their fair share of the blame. As one man put it, “When my wife criticizes me, I don’t want to apologize because I feel like I’m putting my neck on the chopping block. If I apologize, I’m agreeing with her that I’m the whole problem. And that’s not true.” - Psychology Today

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

I love watching them.

Unfortunately, I don't remember names.. so bear with me here.

Mehgan, WOW.. the life and day to day living that her mother gives to her is beyond admirable. The fact that the father didn't say, "Of course" after Mehgan said, "Who'd take care of me if mom dies"? was heartbreaking. WOW! If I remember correctly, he left early on cuz it was too much for him. ?? I THINK that's what I heard last year.. either way, he sure didn't put Mehgan's fears to rest.
    Heart breaking to see her lose it when the visit was over. I understood it 100%.

The two men who moved in together. I see problems from getgo. He doesn't want to do anything for himself (?? can't remember his name..arghh). The previews don't look good either.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I have never even met a person with DS, or a family that that cares for them and their special needs, so this is really eye opening for me. I understand that there is a wide range of differences of disability for these people, but the show has nice group of likeable and relatively high functioning adults who suffer this chromosomal birth defect who are interesting and an insight in how the parents guide them as best they can. I feel so fortunate as a parent that I have not had to face such challenges with my children. I hope for the best for all of them and the whole DS community.
    Maveno and AmyKay like this.
    Lynda

I like seeing people with intellectual challenges have goals and work towards them. That's what great about this show. My niece does not have DS, however, she has developmental delays due to Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. Some of the family are verbose with compliments to her and that's fine, but they don't seem to get that her confidence will come from accomplishments and obtaining her independence. When I try to support that, they are resistant. It's as if they want to keep her a baby who can't do anything for herself.

FORT Fogey

"This isn't exploitation at all. Because it isn't cheesy or trashy or demeaning."

It doesn't have to be cheesy or trashy or demeaning to be exploitative. Viewers and fans just ADORE the Klein children, for example, but -- because they're very young children AND handicapped and their parents are displaying them for public consumption for money and fame -- I find that exploitative. It can be the most flattering and glorifying portrayal in the world but, because they are not capable of consenting to the exposure (in their case, because of their age; the BTW kids are older but are still kids and arguably don't have full understanding and therefore can't consent), that's exploitation in my book. YMMV. I get where parents of DS kids would relate to and enjoy this show, though. Like "The Little Couple" it's a feel-good thing. However, it's not any kid's "job" to make TV watchers feel good. They weren't "Born For That."

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Born This Way Just won The Emmy for Best Unstructured Reality show.
    Maveno, AmyKay and KTinCT like this.
    "Almost everybody has a hard time apologizing if they feel “over accused”, that is, pushed to assume more than their fair share of the blame. As one man put it, “When my wife criticizes me, I don’t want to apologize because I feel like I’m putting my neck on the chopping block. If I apologize, I’m agreeing with her that I’m the whole problem. And that’s not true.” - Psychology Today

I really like this show. I adore all of them.
    There is one thing that really bugs me though, When Christina's dance instructor read the letter she wrote to him on camera. I don't think that was right. That was something really personal and should not have been done. I wonder if she said it was okay for him to read it out loud.

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    "This isn't exploitation at all. Because it isn't cheesy or trashy or demeaning."

It doesn't have to be cheesy or trashy or demeaning to be exploitative. Viewers and fans just ADORE the Klein children, for example, but -- because they're very young children AND handicapped and their parents are displaying them for public consumption for money and fame -- I find that exploitative. It can be the most flattering and glorifying portrayal in the world but, because they are not capable of consenting to the exposure (in their case, because of their age; the BTW kids are older but are still kids and arguably don't have full understanding and therefore can't consent), that's exploitation in my book. YMMV. I get where parents of DS kids would relate to and enjoy this show, though. Like "The Little Couple" it's a feel-good thing. However, it's not any kid's "job" to make TV watchers feel good. They weren't "Born For That."
    Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    First of all...

A reminder that we're supposed to discuss the SHOW and not EACH OTHER on this forum.

Secondly, I've stated several times on several threads (in fact, I don't know how much clearer I can make it) that I consider any display of underage or legally non-competent family members on TV for fame and fortune to be exploitative... That includes the Duggars, so I have the same "problem" with them as I have with the others. However, obviously I enjoy watching them, or I wouldn't do so! Mostly I enjoy snarking on them. TLC reality shows are not to be taken too seriously.

Try it; you'll like it!

At any rate, please don't let my opinions unduly worry you.
    Trust me, they don't.

Your "snark" must not be that great, cuz I sure haven't seen any of it regarding the Duggar clan.. but certainly you've gone and dissed the whole Born This Way people as if it's illegal & against their wishes to show them on tv.

1. They are not children.

2. They are not dumb and incapable of making decisions on their own.

3. " it's not any kid's "job" to make TV watchers feel good. They weren't "Born For That." ??? None of the participants on BTW are required to work for this show. They are not "performing" as you are insinuating.. it's merely showing the day to day lives of these humans. Period. Trust me, there is NO tampering by producers to make a story line.

4. Exploited

verb
    past tense: exploited; past participle: exploited
    ikˈsploit/
    make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).
    "500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology"
    synonyms: utilize, harness, use, make use of, turn/put to good use, make the most of, capitalize on, benefit from; informalcash in on
    "we should exploit this new technology"
    use (a situation or person) in an unfair or selfish way.
    "the company was exploiting a legal loophole"
    benefit unfairly from the work of (someone), typically by overworking or underpaying them.
    "making money does not always mean exploiting others"
    synonyms: take advantage of, abuse, impose on, treat unfairly, misuse, ill-treat;

5. If these ADULTS are making decisions about living independently, marrying, having children, working, moving across state lines, etc... Dollars to donuts, THEY are making the bottom line decision to be on this show. If you'd ever dare sit through episodes, you'd see that the parents' give each individual THEIR OWN choices, never once have I seen a parent "exploit" and/or force anyone to do what they did or did not want to do.

6. "I get where parents of DS kids would relate to and enjoy this show, though. "
    I do not have a child with DS, and I enjoy it..thoroughly.

7. Your dislike for the show is duly noted.. now kindly excuse yourself from always posting a negative about a show you don't watch. Clearly you think the Duggars are a worthy show of NON exploitation. () I'm sure your posts are worth more in the threads where you condone umpteen babies being born to one family.
    Punkin likes this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

liver spotted hands Realitychick's Avatar

I find myself smiling and laughing through each episode. Such a feel good reality show. Makes me happy. So much crap in this world, so it's nice to watch a show like this which appears to have no hidden agenda or people voting people off or back stabbing.
    Punkin, Maveno, AmyKay and 1 others like this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast