+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Born This Way A&E TUE @ 10/9c

Re: Born This Way A&E TUE @ 10/9c

I binge watched season 1 this weekend when it was marathoned...I fell in love with it. My cousin has a little girl that just turned 5 with DS and Megan reminds me so much of her. So independent, so witty, I just love that kid. Watching this has made me think I want to volunteer for the next special olympics near me!!
    I caught up on the first ep of season 2 yesterday. I love that they speak to the parents alot too to get their input on things.
    Last edited by AmyKay; 07-28-2016 at 01:28 PM.
    Maveno likes this.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

I'm SO happy they're back!! I only caught bits 'n pieces of the new season, hopefully I'll catch up this weekend! these people!
    AmyKay and Cornholio like this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Fogey

I have a bit of a problem with mentally challenged young people being filmed for mass consumption/entertainment, just as I do with children being filmed -- because they can't truly consent with full understanding -- but they all seem to enjoy the attention and notoriety. I've watched a few episodes, but don't find it particularly compelling viewing.

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Well alright-y then.
    redsox girl likes this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I have a bit of a problem with mentally challenged young people being filmed for mass consumption/entertainment, just as I do with children being filmed -- because they can't truly consent with full understanding -- but they all seem to enjoy the attention and notoriety. I've watched a few episodes, but don't find it particularly compelling viewing.
    ^^ see that boldface? I can see the logic of what this says, but I can't get past the boldface.

They are not children. And yes they can. They may not. But they can.

And I can not understand anyone anyone having a problem with this show.
    Nobody said it had to be compelling. It is heartfelt. Can't you see that beyond all that cynicism?
    redsox girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    As soon as I started reading this post, I knew who posted it without even having to look at the username. Sketcher has nothing positive to say about ANY show! The only reason she or he watches these shows is to have something to gripe about!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife View Post
    As soon as I started reading this post, I knew who posted it without even having to look at the username. Sketcher has nothing positive to say about ANY show! The only reason she or he watches these shows is to have something to gripe about!
    I believe they're considered "mentally challenged" and therefore may not be mentally competent to make that decision for themselves, regardless of their ages.

I also believe you're supposed to snark on the TV reality shows (which not all of us take quite sooo seriously; after all, it is reality TV) and not the other posters.

Moderator?

The term "mentally challenged" is barely used anymore this day in age. People with disabilities are typically referred to as special needs. I feel as though this is a show that is generally educational on the lives of young adults with DS despite being reality tv. To echo what somebody else stated, there should be no reason why anybody would have a problem with this.
    On a lighter note...I'm so happy I found this show! I think each person on this show brings a special unique quality to the table and it's really great to see their parents give their perspective as well.
    AmyKay and redsox girl like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMom View Post
    The term "mentally challenged" is barely used anymore this day in age. People with disabilities are typically referred to as special needs. I feel as though this is a show that is generally educational on the lives of young adults with DS despite being reality tv. To echo what somebody else stated, there should be no reason why anybody would have a problem with this.
    On a lighter note...I'm so happy I found this show! I think each person on this show brings a special unique quality to the table and it's really great to see their parents give their perspective as well.
    I would think "special needs" would be a far more generic term and refer to any number of disabilities and challenges (or "different abledness"), either intellectual or physical, some of which of may and some of which may not impact one's ability to consent with full knowledge and understanding. But I am not surprised I was corrected. Thank you for keeping me updated on the latest politically correct designation, as I wouldn't want to offend. However, I personally believe that neither the entertainment value NOR the educational value of displaying those who cannot fully consent to that exposure (or, in my view, exploitation) justifies doing so.

Just my opinion.

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'll try to do it soon. It's tough to have a favorite show by yourself. I like to discuss things about mine.
    I'm alone, too. It is kind of hard watching a show without someone right there to share it with.
    Maveno and KTinCT like this.
    “Human beings can be awful cruel to one another.”
    ― Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast