+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree376Likes

Thread: Jill and Jessa: Counting On - TLC

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Re: "Jill and Jessa: Counting On" TLC

it's not about the three girls. If it was, I wouldn't care. It's about three grown women and the children they have or will have in the future. How these women handle their sexual abuse will directly impact how their children, boys and girls, view sexuality and how those children interpret the meaning of sexual abuse. It's about the real possibility that this sick cycle of predatory abuse within a family(and let's not forget the non-family member who was fondled) will continue. It's about lack of accountability. It's about boys learning girls `make them do bad stuff' because the girls `hug them and wear clothes that aren't modest.' It's about girls being taught by their mothers that if `you are inappropriately touched we have to figure out what you did that caused your brother/any male person' to lose control and touch you.' For the sons, it will be about these mothers sending them off to faith camp, supporting their transgressions as `males being tempted by their sisters flesh.' Expect the three women to have their own show, just as TLC eluded to after the initial scandal broke. This `special' will determine that. Based on how many fans and curiosity seekers turn in. TLC wants to make money, Joshua and his parents behavior be damned. The three women to make money. They could go some other route to tell their story. But TLC is there to enable their denials with big, fat checks.
    I've never seen the show. The title alone is creepy to me. When I learned through magazines and social media who these people are and about their `women as baby factories' philosophy , I shook my head. When the mother was yammering on about how she wished she could always be pregnant, I cringed. Having 19 kids in this day and age isn't healthy. In the past, large families were needed because of high child mortality rates and the need for labor on farms and industry. The only excuse for having 19 kids and counting in modern society is to feed an out of control ego. It's like factory farming. But, instead of a stuffy concrete barn over-filled with chickens so desperate for living space they attack one another, we have a house crammed with 19 plus children all desperate to breath their own individual air. Even if they don't have the emotional tools to outwardly express their panic. Every one of those kids is going to be hurt in some deep, scarring way. By the parents, by each other, by a complete ignorance as to how the free world works should they make it out of their confines.
    And the cycle continues.
    AS it does in so many families not in the spotlight.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 12-14-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    Punkin, ness, MizDaisy and 6 others like this.
    "The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be Brave. Live."- Buffy Summers

Gotta love the Mouse! JORY'sMom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PIMguy View Post
    3. I don't think Jill is over the original assault by Josh. She can't seem to talk about it without becoming emotional. Meanwhile, Jessa just smiles and dismisses it all with a "yeah."
    Your observation about Jessa struck me as well. The other girls were quite emotional, and Jessa is very matter of fact. I get it, as I'm kind of like that as well. But I also think we won't ever get the whole story on how these girls really feel about Josh.
    Punkin, ness and aramcobrat like this.

I'm not sure how they feel is anyone's business but their own.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I'm not sure how they feel is anyone's business but their own.
    Under any other situation I would totally agree with you, but here, the girls' are being PAID to share their feelings with the public, and that's pretty much the SOLE REASON for the show.
    JORY'sMom, Punkin, Maveno and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Under any other situation I would totally agree with you, but here, the girls' are being PAID to share their feelings with the public, and that's pretty much the SOLE REASON for the show.
    Except that nothing they say about how they feel will be believed. We live in a world where we have preconceived ideas on how people are supposed to react in a tragedy. If people don't act accordingly then we get all out of sorts over it. Every time I watch an interview with police officer and they say the wife, spouse etc did not cry, appeared calm etc It irks me because last I looked people are individuals. There is no right or wrong reaction to things that happen to you. Everyone copes and reacts to things differently.

I think they are now being punished because they don't tow the victim reaction line that's my issue.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Who were the sponsors?
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Who were the sponsors?
    From what I understand there were not many at all. TLC did more promoting of their other shows instead of having the normal sponsors. I haven't seen a list of the ones that did sponsor the show and I definitely did not watch it.

Good! If TLC can't make money off of them with advertisers, they won't be interested in them any more.
    aramcobrat, FlyAKite and sclilred1 like this.
    Lynda

"Who were the sponsors?"

In the Los Angeles area, all of the commercials were for TLC shows, except for the following in order of appearance:

Movie opening in January: Norm of the North.
    5 in 5, a weight loss program.
    Edwards Pies
    Time Warner Cable movies.
    A local medical equipment rental company.
    Movie: Sisters (Amy Poehler and Tina Fey).
    Toyota Autos.
    McDonald's.
    Punkin, aramcobrat and Kiz like this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Oh good. Nothing there I need to boycott.
    Punkin and ness like this.
    I'm Paula.

+ Reply to Thread