+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Suddenly Royal TLC

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Suddenly Royal TLC

Has anyone else watched this? I was looking for something lighthearted to watch this afternoon, and saw the first couple of episodes of this show.

A middle-class, unpretentious American man realizes he's descended from the ruling family of the Isle of Man, which has no reigning monarch. He files paperwork to claim his kingdom, and he and his wife and daughter go for a 6-week visit to test the feasibility of moving there to rule.

It is HYSTERICAL. Drew, his wife Pam, and their daughter Grace are all ROFLOL funny in a sweet way. My main thought while watching it was fear that they would become as full of themselves as the Roloffs, Duggars, Browns, et al. But I will love them until and unless they do.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!
    So far: Jezebella, Punkin, Momrek06, Ellen, JLuvs, Pikachu, Cornholio
    Working on: Everybody else!

Re: Suddenly Royal TLC

I wasn't going to watch, but with your glowing recommendation I'll give it a try!
    aramcobrat and AZChristian like this.
    “It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” — Joseph Heller, Catch-22

I watched the first two episodes and thoroughly enjoyed them. The father reminded me of Chrisley in a way, with the same type of dry humor and silliness. It's a cute show.
    Imperfect1 and AZChristian like this.

I was prepared to stay away as the ads made it look like "here are the dumb Americans". I was afraid of another Honey Boo Boo. Glad to hear its cute, not exploitative.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Drew is hilarious. Can't wait to see if he actually gets to serve as King.
    AZChristian likes this.

Watching episode 1, wow, what nice down to earth people.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Watching episode 1, wow, what nice down to earth people.
    I know, I keep thinking how nice they are, too. I hope that they do get accepted, as they rightfully should. But if they do, I wonder if they'll change. Or if they'll stay in the UK or come back to their 'regular' life in the US. And if they do come back to the US, what their life will be like here, after becoming royalty over there. That could be really interesting.
    Coco46 and AZChristian like this.

Are We Heir Yet?
    Season 1, Episode 1
    September 9, 2015

In the series premiere, an American mechanic and his family move to Britain's Isle of Man after finding out he's descended from British nobility.
    Watch Suddenly Royal Episodes | Season 1 | TVGuide.com

I enjoyed this episode, pleasantly surprised couple not looking for their 15 minutes of fame. Drew has a deadpan sense of humor and I like how he interacts with his wife and daughter. The best part was Pam asking Drew if they had a place to stay on the Isle of Man and he said he had it covered and it looked as if he had them staying at a castle but it turned out they had a room in the stables next to the mare who was about to give birth.

FYI:

Meet the Maryland man who became a king | New York Post

Meet the Maryland man who became a king

By Andrea MorabitoSeptember 8, 2015 | 6:00am

Call it a redneck-to-royalty fairy tale.

Once upon a time (in 2007), Maryland auto repairman David “Drew” Howe made global headlines when he was crowned King of the Isle of Man — after discovering he was related to the tiny British island’s last ruling family while researching his ancestry online.

So, in May he, his wife Pam and their 12-year-old daughter, Grace, decided to take a six-week trip to his ancestral homeland to embrace their noble lineage — a fish-out-of-water journey documented in the new TLC reality series “Suddenly Royal” (premiering Wednesday at 10 p.m.) “I made my claim to being the king. I guess I need to visit my kingdom,” Howe, 45, tells The Post of his decision to make the trek to the Isle of Man (population: 85,000).

Howe first started researching his genealogy nine years ago on Ancestry.com, keeping a blog for family members on his findings. A man in the UK found it and contacted Howe, saying he may have a claim to being King of the Isle of Man based on the fact that he is descended (on his mother’ s side) from Thomas Stanley III, Lord of Man.

Pam was supportive, if a little bewildered, by her husband’s royal discovery. “I had no expectations of him ever being able to rule or anything like that. There was this in-name-only type of idea,” she says. “Did I think ‘Wow this is weird?’ Yes. But I’m married to Drew, so … weird is not anything new for me in terms of our relationship.”

Though Howe’s official claim filed in the London Gazette wasn’t disputed at the time, once his story made headlines he was widely criticized in the British press, who questioned the legitimacy of his claim. Locals, meanwhile, have voiced their steadfast loyalty to the Crown, which assumed lordship for the island (located in the Irish Sea between England and Scotland) in 1765.

“I was very ignorant of what it was to be royalty,” Drew says of the initial bad publicity. His visit was likewise met with mixed reception from the locals — if they knew who he was at all. “Not everybody is happy to see me,” he says. “People become territorial. I had to explain myself a few times, put it that way.”

The seven episodes of “Suddenly Royal” follow the Howes as they attempt to integrate into the culture— learning the local Manx language and traditions as well as hiring an etiquette coach and royal adviser. But would Drew actually want to make his role official, and become their head of government?

“The [goal of the] trip was … to investigate that possibility, because I really do take my claim seriously,” he says. “It was important, too, to meet the people and see what they think about us. “Ultimately, you have to have the support of the people before you can begin to think about making a better place for them.”
    Whether that story ends happily ever after or not will be revealed in the season finale.

Rub-a-Dub-Dub, One King in a Tub
    Season 1, Episode 2
    September 16, 2015

The Howes meet the locals on their first day on the Isle of Man. Meanwhile, Drew participates in the annual Tin Bath Race; Pam learns the basics of Manx hospitality; and Grace misses her Internet connection.
    Drew participating in the Tin Bath Race was hysterical. I am luv' ing this show because it makes me laugh.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-28-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Royal Charm School
    Season 1, Episode 3
    September 23, 2015

Etiquette training is undertaken by the Howes to win over the local elites, but it may not be enough to impress the Isle's most influential family.
    Continuing to be impressed and I liked the etiquette lessons and the dinner and tea parties with the local gentry some of who seem to be relatives.

I really like watching Pam and Drew interact with each other.
    AZChristian likes this.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

They seem to really like each other, don't they? Not at all like the Gosselins and the Roloffs, who gave off a "not happy with each other" vibe from the very beginning.

And Grace is just like BOTH of them. LOL.
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!
    So far: Jezebella, Punkin, Momrek06, Ellen, JLuvs, Pikachu, Cornholio
    Working on: Everybody else!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast