Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: I Am Jazz

FORT Regular

I Am Jazz

Really??!
    kidstookitall likes this.

Re: I Am Jazz

I saw it and wasn't offended. She is lucky to have such a good family!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Not really trying to start a debate but I just don't understand the whole transgender thing, especially in someone so young. I about had a fit when she was worried about her boobs not being big enough, seriously!?

I have seen one episode of the show and thought it was pretty good. I do have questions that perhaps this type of show might address.

I do feel for her, because she gets a lot of teasing from boys. That has to hurt. I wonder if it might be better if her family had moved to a place where no one knew she was transgender. That way, she wouldn't have so much criticism. I guess her parents feel they have to tell the parents of her girlfriends, because they have sleep overs and such. So, I guess there is no way of it not getting out.

I hope she can get her height up so they can start her hormone treatment. She's 5'3 now and I think she wanted to grow to at least 5'5.
    Lizard likes this.

I see what you did there Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion, Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Haven't seen it yet.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    Not really trying to start a debate but I just don't understand the whole transgender thing, especially in someone so young. I about had a fit when she was worried about her boobs not being big enough, seriously!?
    I think it's good that this show is on the air, because so many people do not understand what being transgendered is. There are several theories as to what causes someone to be transgendered, but in recent years many scientific studies of brain scans of the transgendered brain have shown that there is a DIFFERENCE between their brain and the non-trangendered brain. (e.g. transgendered boys' brains show up on the scan as if they were female, and transgendered girls' brains show up on the scan as if they were male.) So, as Jazz described it, in her mind (in her brain) she is a girl, but she has a boy's body. (Again, it's not just that she wants to be a girl, or that she'd prefer to be a girl, but that she IS a girl.)

In regard to the age thing, many trangendered people felt this same way when they were very, very young --- even as young as when they were toddlers or small children. There are videos of Jazz when she was just a couple of years old, and interviews with her when she was 5 years old and again when she was 7 or 8 --- and she always said the same thing. . . that she was a girl.

Jazz is by no means alone. And now we're beginning to see evidence of more and more people who are transgendered. By the way, this has nothing to do with being gay or perverted in any way. Transgendered people just feel like they were born with their body being the wrong gender. What they decide to DO about it, how they proceed, whether or not they decide to get treatment, surgery, medication, etc. is a separate issue, and that is all part of the decisions that they all have to make as to how they are going to live their lives.
    Maveno, ness, libgirl2 and 6 others like this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Jazz is very pretty, and of course she thinks about boobs, I did at that age...
    Moontat likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Jazz is very pretty, and of course she thinks about boobs, I did at that age...
    Me too.

Seriously though, I don't really understand the whole transgender thing. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but it's just so hard for me to wrap my head around.
    karna68 likes this.
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

I felt the show was honest not gimmicky. I tried to put myself in my mom and dads shoes very difficult. I will say I didn't watch it with my 8 and 4 year old boys in the room as I am not how to answer any questions they might ask. If you watch Becoming US on ABC Family you can see all the lasting effects of ignoring how transpersons feel as they grow up.
    Imperfect1 likes this.

I guess my thing with the boobs is be glad for what you have! Especially since you're growing them from scratch, for lack of a better term, lol!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast