+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: I Am Jazz

Re: I Am Jazz

And who's to say since they're basing gender dysphoria on brain scans that it's not a mental condition?
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

I wasn't aware that you could tell a female from a male from a brain scan, period; that's a new one on me!

Yes, they're saying the brain scans of transgender people are showing differences between the "normal" brain of a person of that gender. For instance, there are differences in Jazz's brain compared to a "normal" male.

FORT Fogey

And does it "match" female brains? The fact that there are differences in Jazz's brain could be due to any number of factors and signify -- not much... Again, I'm not aware of any difference between the genders that appears on an MRI of the brain, period. This must be yet another new discovery! At any rate, what child even thinks about his or her gender that much before puberty? As an aside: has the Mom had plastic surgery between last season and this? She looks slightly different to me... We know the grandmother has had plenty!
    Last edited by sketcher; 06-10-2016 at 02:05 PM.

These are functional MRIs, which measure brain response to certain stimuli in real time. They're not static scans like an X-ray.

Is There Something Unique about the Transgender Brain? - Scientific American
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." George Orwell

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    These are functional MRIs, which measure brain response to certain stimuli in real time. They're not static scans like an X-ray.

Is There Something Unique about the Transgender Brain? - Scientific American
    I'm aware of that (PET scans). But I'm unconvinced that there's any demonstrable difference between the genders visible on MRI. Again, who spends this much time as a two-year-old thinking about these things?

FORT Fogey

I'm almost beginning to think this is a form of "Munchhausen by Proxy"; the mother seems to want to put herself -- oh, and Jazz -- on the map as being a great game-changer in history. What if Jazz ever has second thoughts? How hard would it be for her to backpedal on this NOW?

They covered a lot of questions about how long Jazz felt like a male and what are the risks depending on which route you take with hormones or not taking hormones last season. I suppose they will cover that again this time, since Jazz is older and I would imagine more decisions have to be made.

I can't speak on all transgendered children, but I do know one. She knew she was a girl from the moment she could speak, apparently. Boy, I was extremely skeptical when I first heard about the transition, thinking ALL little kids like to play and pretend, etc. Doctors and therapists all submitted reports, so with that background and after meeting her, I believe it. She was born in a male body, so she's technically a boy. But I've hardly thought that since meeting her, because once she got to just act like she wanted regardless of clothing and society's expectations of what a boy or girl is, she's just a happy go lucky little girl. At first, once allowed to dress as she pleased, she went all pink and frills because it had been frowned upon before that, but gradually she's just a girl wearing clothes that all girls wear - jeans, Nike shorts, whatever she wants even if it is pink.

Before this, I had wondered too, if parents could kind of "push" too much or make it an issue when it shouldn't be one. If a child's imagination could get taken too far as reality? But after knowing this little one, I'm solidly in her corner, and she can live how she wants.

We had therapists in to school to speak to us on the whole transgender thing, and it was very informative and interesting. They said it is far beyond wishing and hoping to be the other sex, that when you close your eyes and imagine yourself, it doesn't match what you see in the mirror. One thing that stuck with me was this: they asked us to imagine we (as women that were all there) woke up with male genitalia one day, and how there would be NO way to convince people that we really weren't males, that we were females! We'd still feel like women, but technically wouldn't be, and how would it feel to have to live life in a way that didn't match how we felt about ourselves? Those of us with no gender identity issues feel like the sex we are. We close our eyes and imagine ourselves, and it matches the body we were born in.

Well, except for some of the rolls and chub I'm always surprised to see!! For better or worse, at least it matches. I can't imagine how it feels when it doesn't.

FORT Fogey

As I said, I have no doubt that the people themselves are convinced -- for whatever reason -- that they're in the wrong body and are sincere. Where we differ is what we believe is behind this belief.

I would also argue that children are still developing -- even their brains -- and are not "finished yet" until about their mid-20s (science DOES bear this out). To see one making life-changing, irrevocable decisions at such a young age is a little disquieting... At least to me.

They're not considered competent to cast votes, drink alcohol, operate motor vehicles, etc., until ages 18-21, yet they can alter their genders and the entire trajectory of their lives? I give the parents here the side-eye. I DO believe it's possible to dress and look somewhat "gender neutral" without going over the top with it until one is an adult and able to choose for him or herself.

Heck, as a child, I had a pixie haircut and wore jeans after school; honestly, I was too busy playing and pursuing my interests to worry about showing the world that I was a girl, much less a girly-girl? It does seem that the mom is all about pursuing a particular idealogical agenda and putting Jazz -- and, of course, herself -- in the spotlight by drawing as much attention as possible to their situation. As I say, the pressure must be enormous to continue the gravy train. How could Jazz not?
    Last edited by sketcher; 06-14-2016 at 12:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread