+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: I Am Jazz

Re: I Am Jazz

I didn't realize the show had started and haven't watched so wasn't aware, until enlightened here, that this young lady seems quite competent to handle the glare of publicity and actually has an agenda to serve as an example to other kids. But as I said above, she is an exception to cases of young children being exploited by their parents. I did see a couple of ads for the show and see her parents in a positive light now.
    Lynda

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

I'm really impressed with Jazz. She's a lovely young girl and a terrific role model for others who are going through the same kind of transition.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I've been wondering if Shiloh Jolie-Pitt is also a transgendered child. . . and if so, whether she (and her family) will make it known publicly.

Ha! I didn't know about that. Shiloh John Jolie Pitt Angelina Daughter Name Change I don't really follow celebs and their families, but it seems the Pitts are doing the right thing with their little one.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Ha! I didn't know about that. Shiloh John Jolie Pitt Angelina Daughter Name Change I don't really follow celebs and their families, but it seems the Pitts are doing the right thing with their little one.
    Very good article. Thanks for posting it, Punkin. It is heart warming to see how her parents are handling the situation. She apparently has been exploring her gender since the age of THREE, and seems to really feel she's a boy.

On the other hand, apparently that's not always the case. I was very interested in one of the comments made (in the "Comments" section) because it illustrated the other side of the coin, so to speak: That reader said:

"I have six brothers. When I was small, I prayed every night to be a boy. I was so disappointed in the morning to find out I was still a girl. I grew up finally and became a straight, card carrying female. When the hormones kicked in, the boys started looking different. They weren't my buddies anymore. They were not potential sweeties. Who knows what she will want when she grows up. She's only eight for God's sake. She doesn't know what being male or female even means except the difference between pants and dresses and dolls and trucks."
    Punkin, KTinCT and judkay like this.

That's a good thing to know, however, I suspect with the actual transgender children, it's not that they want to be a boy or a girl, but that they know they already are. There genitals just don't match what they know they are on the inside. Does that make sense?
    KTinCT, TripleGemini and Moontat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    That's a good thing to know, however, I suspect with the actual transgender children, it's not that they want to be a boy or a girl, but that they know they already are. There genitals just don't match what they know they are on the inside. Does that make sense?
    I think that's EXACTLY right, Debb, as far as the CHILD is concerned. The issue that I was referring to (above) was: how do the PARENTS determine the difference? In other words, when a child is very young, for example, how do the parents know whether the child WANTS to be the other gender, or whether the child really feels he or she IS the other gender? Little children can't really express themselves as well as they can later on in life, so the problem is, how do the parents figure out the difference, and then, if the child truly is transgendered, how do they handle it?
    Debb70 likes this.

I think the Pitts are doing it right. They don't know if this is just a phase or if the child is really transgender. They are just letting her dress as she pleases and call her by the name she prefers. If it is a phase, she'll grow out of it. If it isn't she is being validated in a way that makes her comfortable with herself and not torn/conflicted.
    Lynda

Pain in the butt to get to (couple of ads you have to close and a couple of questions you have to answer, and not truthfully if you don't want ;-)), but I read this interview about Jazz several weeks ago. Being Jazz: An interview with Jazz Jennings - Metro Weekly

I'd already heard about her before this, although I don't quite remember where. But I have friends and friends whose kids who are gay, bi, trans, polyamorous, gender-fluid...oh, and straight :-) And what I admire most is the parents who go, "I don't quite understand it, but I'm going to do my best to respect it." And that's what I see from Jazz's parents, and from the Jolie-Pitts, and others.
    Punkin and Maveno like this.

It's surprising how many people who are not accepting.

I do get tired of Jazz's friends continuing to say that she doesn't put herself out there with the boys. They make it sound like because she is not out talking, flirting and begging the boys to come, that she's somehow at fault. Why aren't they doing that and having boys come to a party because they are there? It seems like it's too easy for them to blame Jazz.
    candor and Moontat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    ... I do get tired of Jazz's friends continuing to say that she doesn't put herself out there with the boys. They make it sound like because she is not out talking, flirting and begging the boys to come, that she's somehow at fault. Why aren't they doing that and having boys come to a party because they are there? It seems like it's too easy for them to blame Jazz.
    I admit, I don't watch this show. Way past parenting and have no one who would relate. But I read this thread and certainly support the story line.

However, what Debb70 says sounds just like 7th grade dances when I was that age (way long ago, way long). There are certainly cliques in there but there are also break-throughs by the end of a dance party. Gotta put yourself out there, girl. Look around - not just at the top o' the cool list.

It's a very different peer pressure affecting those boys in this case, but there are always a few good ones in any bunch. They're standing in their own group, back there at the end of the bleachers, dodging the admonishments of those 'cool' kids.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread