+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: I Am Jazz

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: I Am Jazz

In general I totally agree about kids being on reality TV. I do think there is a huge public service component to this show, because childhood is where this begins, even if someone doesn't make the transition until they are as old as Bruce was/Caitlyn is. And there is, thank heavens, more publicity and public knowledge out there now.... I hope Jazz comes out of this OK.
    Many years ago I was asked to review an article by a famous clinical psychologist, who did a lot of work on conditioning children to get rid of undesirable behaviors--to see if the article should be published. In this case the study involved trying to rid boys of effeminate behaviors (the "test" involved giving the child a couple of books to carry across a room---girls carry them in front of them, held to their chests, boys carry them to one side in one hand hanging down---one of the many subtle gender moves a child picks up if they are identifying with their sex's traditional gender roles in the US). The study was well done from a science point of view, and effective---the author was very pleased to report that at the end the boys wouldn't even touch a doll for example--so technically publishable, but it gave me a really queasy feeling even then (this was way back when even the 2nd wave of the women's movement was just getting started), and as part of my review I asked why it would be so bad if a boy wanted to practice being a parent...why they had to take it to such extremes, just to avoid children being teased by classmates, and suggested they deal with that issue. Don't recall that they did. The article was published and no doubt led to a lot of little boys being shaped to be more gender traditional, at least for a while.
    Lucky for you, JosephD, you had parents who wouldn't have listened to that guy.
    Moontat, Kiz and JosephD like this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife View Post
    I don't think it's exploitation at all. I think she's a role model for other kids that may be going through the same issues. Telling her story and sharing her struggles may give others the courage they need to deal with their situation. She could save alot of kids from suicide.
    Many young people take their lives, I think Jazz telling her truth, and how she felt early on in life she was in the wrong body, could wake some parents up, but more importantly save the lives of those that aren't feeling they fit in.
    libgirl2, mika06, Lizard and 3 others like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Jazz is going to be on the Dr. Oz show TODAY. I would imagine there will be some serious discussion and explanations regarding the medical transgender issues.

I think Jazz will make a lot of friends from the exposure; and it will have a calming effect on other children with transgender issues to see that they are not alone.

As for adolescent romantic interests, I hope she and other kids realize that it is of little importance. Never look for validation from a romantic interest who has his or her own problems.
    Debb70 likes this.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    In general I totally agree about kids being on reality TV. I do think there is a huge public service component to this show, because childhood is where this begins, even if someone doesn't make the transition until they are as old as Bruce was/Caitlyn is. And there is, thank heavens, more publicity and public knowledge out there now.... I hope Jazz comes out of this OK.
    Many years ago I was asked to review an article by a famous clinical psychologist, who did a lot of work on conditioning children to get rid of undesirable behaviors--to see if the article should be published. In this case the study involved trying to rid boys of effeminate behaviors (the "test" involved giving the child a couple of books to carry across a room---girls carry them in front of them, held to their chests, boys carry them to one side in one hand hanging down---one of the many subtle gender moves a child picks up if they are identifying with their sex's traditional gender roles in the US). The study was well done from a science point of view, and effective---the author was very pleased to report that at the end the boys wouldn't even touch a doll for example--so technically publishable, but it gave me a really queasy feeling even then (this was way back when even the 2nd wave of the women's movement was just getting started), and as part of my review I asked why it would be so bad if a boy wanted to practice being a parent...why they had to take it to such extremes, just to avoid children being teased by classmates, and suggested they deal with that issue. Don't recall that they did. The article was published and no doubt led to a lot of little boys being shaped to be more gender traditional, at least for a while.
    Lucky for you, JosephD, you had parents who wouldn't have listened to that guy.
    Interesting--the posturing differences between girls and boys
    Creepy--that someone would try to change children in that manner; why not spend the effort to try to get kids to have good grades or excel in things that would bring self esteem
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I just think it's time to stop parents from exploiting their young children for the adults own fame and fortune. Just stop already. The Khate kids, Duggar kids, Booboo, it's done none of these children any good. I don't understand the attraction (voyeurism) viewers have over other people's children, but the children aren't choosing this exploitation for themselves. I think Josh Duggar's problems came from the parent's goofy religion and isolating him from his peers, but had they not pushed him into the spotlight his life would not be ruined by public scorn as it has been. This exploitation really disgusts me. Are this young girl's parents so sure that this won't be harmful to her in the long run? Why take the chance?
    I agree with you in the case of small children, like the Gosselins, but Jazz and her siblings seem pretty mature and self-aware. There's a HUGE difference to me between putting your toddler on a TV show and putting your 14-year old (who, presumably, wants to do it) on TV. I doubt the parents would have agreed to this show if Jazz and the other kids weren't on board. I think this family - so far, at least - seems tight and very supportive of Jazz. I don't see this show as exploitative. I think it's more educational.

I think it's an important reminder that gender identity and sexuality are NOT connected. Just because Jazz identified as a girl from a young age doesn't mean she was thinking about SEX. She just knew she was a girl. Most people know from a very early age what gender they are, without even really thinking about it. I think the more transgender people we get to "know," the more people will learn about it and not be so afraid or ignorant about it. When that kid made that hateful comment to Jazz, I wanted to reach through the TV and throttle him. Little creep. (<---- not the word I want to use)

I remember worrying about developing at that age too. It's totally normal. You want all that stuff to happen sooner.

I was impressed with the entire family and how open and honest they are about their lives. Jazz seems like a very mature, well-spoken and smart young lady.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Watched her on Dr Oz today and her show tonight. I cried when the guy told her how much he admired her and how much she helped him and his mom with his transition.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife View Post
    Watched her on Dr Oz today and her show tonight. I cried when the guy told her how much he admired her and how much she helped him and his mom with his transition.
    Oh dang! I missed Dr Oz.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I agree with you in the case of small children, like the Gosselins, but Jazz and her siblings seem pretty mature and self-aware. There's a HUGE difference to me between putting your toddler on a TV show and putting your 14-year old (who, presumably, wants to do it) on TV. I doubt the parents would have agreed to this show if Jazz and the other kids weren't on board. I think this family - so far, at least - seems tight and very supportive of Jazz. I don't see this show as exploitative. I think it's more educational.

I think it's an important reminder that gender identity and sexuality are NOT connected. Just because Jazz identified as a girl from a young age doesn't mean she was thinking about SEX. She just knew she was a girl. Most people know from a very early age what gender they are, without even really thinking about it. I think the more transgender people we get to "know," the more people will learn about it and not be so afraid or ignorant about it. When that kid made that hateful comment to Jazz, I wanted to reach through the TV and throttle him. Little creep. (<---- not the word I want to use)

I remember worrying about developing at that age too. It's totally normal. You want all that stuff to happen sooner.

I was impressed with the entire family and how open and honest they are about their lives. Jazz seems like a very mature, well-spoken and smart young lady.
    Well said, Critical! Thank you!
    Moontat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Well said, Critical! Thank you!
    I second that!
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread