+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: I Am Jazz

Re: I Am Jazz

I plan on watching at least a few of Caitlyn's show because (as I said earlier) I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding this topic, but it's just too much for me to watch this type of show when the focal point is a child.
    Punkin likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Here is how I see Jazz. Do we want Jazz to grow up like Bruce Jenner? Never being satisfied with life and just doing what's expected?what if he marries a woman and has a family living always having resentment of his wife for being able to be the woman he so badly wants to be. this makes a miserable life for all involved the wife,kids and Jazz more importantly wasting a lifetime trying to be someone she never felt she was to start with. I mean look at the issues this caused and two people in a marriage that really was unfulfilling to them both. You have 2 lives Putin hold for decades because people are scared to be who they really are due to society's reaction. live for today tomorrow is not promised to you!
    ness, libgirl2, Moontat and 1 others like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Maybe they are paying Jazz enough, that will enable her to have future operations if/when needed?
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Children know gender before preschool... some studies indicate less than a year. They know that gender exists, and then the next question logically is, what am I? Children don't use genitals to class people by gender, but the outward signs their culture uses to distinguish males and females... clothes, colors, facial hair, head hair length, etc. Their parents aren't making them think about gender, their whole society is. Gender is more basic even than race as an identity to most people. Not that it needs to be, but that's what cultures do...they may disagree completely on what male or female should do/look like, but they agree there's a difference.

If you wait until adulthood, post puberty, to 'make a decision", or "think about gender" it is too late to make an easy transition because the body has changed from the fairly similar early grade school look to a definitely male or female look.

I have no argument that Jazz is lucky that because of the times and the understanding now of the issue of transgender she can do what she needs to at her own pace and with the help of her family and professionals. But why must she do it on TV? Why can't she enjoy privacy during these delicate times? There are many more ways to pay for surgery and hormonal therapy than putting her out to perform as Jazz the Trans on TV. I wonder how Laverne Cox would advise these parents about exposing so much of their child to public scrutiny. She was able to transition in private without strangers watching her every bump in the road.

I just think, if this has a chance of damaging the child, why take the chance? I could understand it if she were 17 or 18, with the rockier times behind her and she's got her legs, so to speak. This little girl is just too young. I just see it as exploitation. I hope she survives it with no harm.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I have no argument that Jazz is lucky that because of the times and the understanding now of the issue of transgender she can do what she needs to at her own pace and with the help of her family and professionals. But why must she do it on TV? Why can't she enjoy privacy during these delicate times? There are many more ways to pay for surgery and hormonal therapy than putting her out to perform as Jazz the Trans on TV. I wonder how Laverne Cox would advise these parents about exposing so much of their child to public scrutiny. She was able to transition in private without strangers watching her every bump in the road.

I just think, if this has a chance of damaging the child, why take the chance? I could understand it if she were 17 or 18, with the rockier times behind her and she's got her legs, so to speak. This little girl is just too young. I just see it as exploitation. I hope she survives it with no harm.
    Actually Jazz has been a big advocate for Transgender persons in the Media and Social Media for a very long time. She was on Oprah when she was younger. You see it in the 1st episode she expressed her wishes and wants in a way that mom and dad could no longer fight her. I really don't feel like it's her parents leading her but rather her guiding the family on how they should handle their life with a transgendered individual. I think they are all very brave. Additionally Mom has said she is not ready to talk surgery with Jazz and Daddy has said it was difficult for him to lose his son but he loves her and will do anything to make her happy. Jazz herself when speaking to her Physician said she is not ready to talk about surgery she is happy with all her parts and who she is. She also took the fact that she would have to wait on changing her hormone dosage until she gained height.

I have no problem with children playing a character in a sitcom, but children in reality shows is just wrong, IMO.

And just for clarification, I have no doubt that Jazz is coming to the conclusions about who she is on her own. I don't believe she's being coerced. I also believe her parents had a sense of what's what even before Jazz herself did. Goodness knows, my parent knew with me. My mom likes to tell the story about how every time my 4 cousins came over to visit, my older brother always ran off with our 2 boy cousins, playing baseball or riding bikes and I always hung around my 2 girl cousins, pushing baby dolls in strollers or putting barrettes in my cousin's hair. [Side note: please don't anybody tell me how straight boys can like baby dolls ....etc....etc.... I'm not saying they can't]. I'm simply saying a parent knows.....they see a pattern, whether they want to embrace that or not is up to them.

I wish nothing but the best for Jazz and others like her. I just feel it's wrong to put it on TV. It's not about hiding her true self because goodness know....I don't hide my truth. But still, until she has reached maturity and is mentally capable of making decisions about who she shares what with, her parents should respect her need for privacy.
    FlyAKite, AZChristian and Kiz like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Quote Originally Posted by mika06 View Post
    Actually Jazz has been a big advocate for Transgender persons in the Media and Social Media for a very long time. She was on Oprah when she was younger. You see it in the 1st episode she expressed her wishes and wants in a way that mom and dad could no longer fight her. I really don't feel like it's her parents leading her but rather her guiding the family on how they should handle their life with a transgendered individual. I think they are all very brave. Additionally Mom has said she is not ready to talk surgery with Jazz and Daddy has said it was difficult for him to lose his son but he loves her and will do anything to make her happy. Jazz herself when speaking to her Physician said she is not ready to talk about surgery she is happy with all her parts and who she is. She also took the fact that she would have to wait on changing her hormone dosage until she gained height.
    Thanks, I did not know that about her. She seems to be calling the shots, by what you know about Jazz. I hope it works out for her. But she may be a special case, for the most part I still don't like children being exploited as in the shows I mentioned above. I personally will feel more able to identify with Cait as she rolls out her story. But perhaps Jazz does have an important role in reaching younger kids and their parents who can watch Jazz'es parents process all this as well. Thanks for giving me more info about this special girl.
    mika06 likes this.
    Lynda

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mika06 View Post
    She definitely knows her own mind!.I love her grandparents going on the web to learn all about it, what they can and can't call her.
    mika06, Moontat and Imperfect1 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't think it's exploitation at all. I think she's a role model for other kids that may be going through the same issues. Telling her story and sharing her struggles may give others the courage they need to deal with their situation. She could save alot of kids from suicide.

+ Reply to Thread