+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: I Am Jazz

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: I Am Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I think there's enough judgment and nonacceptance in the world. Transgender people -- whether they are born different (as I believe) or simply relate more to the opposite gender -- they're not hurting anyone. Why is it necessary to dismiss their feelings? Why not just take their word for it and move on?
    Perfectly said, candor. I totally agree!
    libgirl2 and KathyinMaine like this.

FORT Fogey

Because 'their word' doesn't make logical sense, and some of have not yet checked our brains at the door for the sake of political correctness... Also, if insurance companies, Medicaid, and Medicare begin paying for $20k progesterone implants, just for starters, for what may be a mental disorder,that WILL affect all of us. I think we have a duty to think critically about this and, in any event, we do still have the right to express our opinions. I hope.
    Last edited by sketcher; 06-20-2016 at 10:32 AM.
    owlgrl likes this.

You do have the right to express your opinion, and we have the right to challenge it. Aside from their word, which is good enough for me, there is a lot of medical and social research on this subject. Dismissing research then saying transgender identity doesn't make sense is pretty much the definition of checking your brains at the door.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." George Orwell

FORT Fogey

I have read and keep an open mind re: the research; however, whatever is occurring in her brain, Jazz remains in every other way (physically, anatomically, physiologically, chromosomally, and hormonally) a male. I find the denial of it, such as when she proclaims herself "a girl" or worries aloud that without the implant she will "become a boy," worrisome, questionable, and somehow offensive to our intellect. Not everyone is buying this lock, stock, and barrel. And that's okay! I hope.
    owlgrl likes this.

I'm offended that an insurance company would pay for any transgender procedures, are there any that do? I'm only speaking from a commercial I saw over the weekend where Mom tells her the new insurance won't pay for the surgery, Jazz's response, "that's messed up" no it's not Jazz, it's an elective procedure. When I can't get a breast reduction covered by insurance that causes me physical pain, it's only fair. Suck it up buttercup!
    judkay, sketcher, owlgrl and 1 others like this.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by karna68 View Post
    I'm offended that an insurance company would pay for any transgender procedures, are there any that do? I'm only speaking from a commercial I saw over the weekend where Mom tells her the new insurance won't pay for the surgery, Jazz's response, "that's messed up" no it's not Jazz, it's an elective procedure. When I can't get a breast reduction covered by insurance that causes me physical pain, it's only fair. Suck it up buttercup!
    I strongly disagree. I'm an RN and I can tell you that "elective" surgery does not mean that the surgery is not medically warranted. And it does not mean that it's COSMETIC surgery. There are many different reasons for elective surgery -- but frequently one has elective surgery when there are multiple possible ways of treating a problem, one of which is a particular surgery, and that's the one that is chosen as the best choice. That is completely DIFFERENT from your example of a breast reduction if the breast reduction was desired for 'cosmetic' reasons. On the other hand, if the breast reduction is needed for medical reasons it WOULD be covered by (most) insurance companies.

FORT Fogey

Personally... I hope we're not going to argue every point back and forth, tit for tat (so to speak)... Obviously we have a difference of opinion here; neither will convince the other side of its opinion or position on this issue. And eventually the moderators will get sick of the debate and shut it down. So let's just allow each other our views without feeling the need to rebut every remark. I'd be willing!

Well I for one hope she finally gets the bottom surgery and can live her life as an anatomically correct "girl".
    Moontat and Imperfect1 like this.

I didn't understand why the device had been implanted into her arm the last time in a certain way, but this time it required general anesthesia. Just curious. It looked like the parents were surprised by this. I also wondered by they had to go to CA to get it. Was the one they got before not good enough? It wasn't free, as mom said they had to put the extra costs on a credit card.

I do wonder about the wisdom of doing this show. With the way Jazz describes her life......it sounds concerning to me. I would be afraid that the show would cause her to more ridiculed at school. She said she doesn't have friends at school (although we did see her meet with a few of them this week, but their relationships are strained), she says she eats her lunch in the restroom as she has no one to hang with, doesn't have a good time there, etc. It sounds concerning to me. She seems to be really struggling and I'm not sure that it's helping her to go around making speeches when she's basically putting on a false happy face.

FORT Fogey

Last time Jazz was asked about bottom surgery (last season), she wasn't at all sure she wanted it. She also doesn't seem to know to which gender she's attracted (at age, what, 15?) or doesn't want to say. Which seems odd.

No way did a little incision in the arm require general anesthesia; if that really happened (this IS "reality" TV), I'd almost call that malpractice since it introduced all kinds of unnecessary risks with intubation, etc. I had an entire lumpectomy just under local and, if Jazz has done that twice before, she could do it again?

The money thing is very confusing. Apparently they "buy" the implant, so it wouldn't matter where it was implanted. I gather that their insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the (out-patient) surgery at home, so they flew all the way across the country -- four people -- to "save money." I assume that meant that it would be free, since it's a hospital in L.A. that specializes in juvenile transgenders, thanks to either a government grant (?) or private donations, I'm would assume. The credit card probably had to cover airfare, hotel rooms, and incidentals -- unless TLC did!

Does anyone else feel like they're being lectured to watching this show? Or inculcated? It's almost like a re-education camp film. "In just one generation," everyone will be on board with this! Changing the culture, one TLC show at a time...
    owlgrl likes this.

+ Reply to Thread