+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: I Am Jazz

Re: I Am Jazz

Certain medications to suppress hormones have to be started near puberty, though, or development will occur that is difficult or impossible to deal with later. Jazz's doctor explained this last season.

FORT Fogey

And, in turn, the hormones affect the brain, so... At that point, it's essentially a fait accompli... Done.

FORT Regular

is all this really worth it? The doctors, the hormones, the surgeries, the turmoil...Wouldn't it just easier to go with being a guy who feels likea girl? As for the phone calls; I think the brothers are doing that. If it's real b/c this show is soo scripted!
    sketcher likes this.

Different people take different routes with their transitions. Not all people have surgeries. Some people can't take hormones due to medical conditions. But, I think it's up to them to find a way to feel the best about themselves.

I was confused when they talked about some device that did not work with Jazz. Does anyone recall what they were referring to?

I was glad that her brother spoke up. I had noticed how the parents, especially the mom seems to be overly involved with Jazz and her life. Granted, if Jazz has had thoughts of self harm....you have to give that child a lot of attention. Suicide rates are scary with transgender children.

I think that the harassing phone calls actually happened, though, they may have recreated them so as to not display the real callers voice, for airing purposes.

I think that having Jazz be so public is dangerous. I'm not sure I'd agree to it. The body guard is some help, but it only works so well.

FORT Regular

I can't help but feel that the time would be better spent in therapy helping the gender-confused young people learn to cope w/the body they are born in rather than trying to change it. Just b/c medical science CAN do it, doesn't mean they should.
    sketcher likes this.

FORT Regular

LOL! I thought I was the only one who noticed that. As involved as the mother is, surely, she would give her some Nair.
    The "bottom" surgery, they all seem real hesitant to do it, which makes me wonder in the very end, how committed they are. I haven't seen Bruce Jenner doing that yet. I understand they have to live "as a woman" for a year before but it seems to me he's already done that.
    In the surgery, they don't just "cut it off." They make a vagina out of the penis. They have to re-route the urethra and I don't even want to know about the prostate. I guess that has to go. There must be tremendous pain. If all this was laid out for me, & I'm sure it is, I'd rather stay a guy. of the transgenders who have had the surgery, they still look "butch" to me. Sorry if that's offensive.
    sketcher likes this.

FORT Fogey

The "device" is just a little tube, like a piece of straw, that goes under the skin in the forearm and delivers hormones to block male puberty. Jazz has already had one (several years ago), and it's run out, so she needs a replacement. It certainly shouldn't require general anesthesia as an inpatient?

As for the depression, I thought being allowed to transition was all that was saving Jazz from suicide, and yet she was suicidal as recently as a few months ago. Why? Also, they said medication saved her but, last episode, they said she's been on antidepressants since 6th grade. What? Again, why? Since they've allowed her to transition since the age of four. And they're blaming the hormones, but being allowed to take the hormones is supposed to keep her from being depressed. Huh? I am confused...

Sometimes I wonder if Jazz is ACTUALLY a girl, the whole family is being paid to play a role, and the entire show is propaganda to make transgender more socially acceptable. But I'm skeptical like that!
    Last edited by sketcher; 06-16-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Living as a transgender person isn't simple or easy, but if it's repressed, it's also very painful. I've heard Caitlyn Jenner talk about all the years that she hid and denied what she was.

There used to be a series of documentaries about transgender patients who had reassignment surgeries by Dr. Marcie Bower (who is also a transgender). It featured two or three different patients per week. It was quite amusing. I also watched the show about Chaz Bono, which showed part of his journey.

I just think that Jazz may be too young to be as much in the spotlight as she is. With all that is coming out.....I think I might pull the plug and try to calm things down. ALSO, Jazz's therapist has been treated her since she was 4 years old. I would think that a new and younger therapist might be in order. Keep the older around, but I think Jazz may need a set of fresh eyes.

FORT Fogey

But her mother doesn't WANT to pull the plug... She's loving the ride... Why does that therapist wear a hat -- the same hat -- indoors every time she's shown? Is she also transgender (not that wearing a hat is an indication, but it IS a little unusual)? Both the therapist and the grandmother have "crazy eyes"...

As I've said before, I think Jazz played dress-up, like many little boys, and all the adults around her grabbed the ball and ran with it. Some of the phrases she uses, even in clips as a small child, seem scripted or fed. Whether she would still be transgender as time went on, I guess we'll never know...

Again, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by sketcher; 06-16-2016 at 03:31 PM.

I think there's enough judgment and nonacceptance in the world. Transgender people -- whether they are born different (as I believe) or simply relate more to the opposite gender -- they're not hurting anyone. Why is it necessary to dismiss their feelings? Why not just take their word for it and move on?
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread