+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Alone - History Channel

Re: Alone - History Channel

Episode 6 - Rain of Terror - 07/23/15

This episode covers days 15 through 22. There is lots and lots of rain. Alan and Lucas seem to be the best self narrators of the remaining 4 men. I luv it when after 3 days or so of nothing but rain the men come out and just stand and absorb the sun.
    No goat killers on my island.

Episode 7 - The Hunger - 07/30/15

The episode covers days 23 through 31. It's cold and the 4 remaining men are hungry. The main focus is Alan building two kinds of fish traps and his success and failure and outlook. Lucas also catches a fish on his trout line, again he is emotionally very up and down. Mitch loses his gill net and Sam catches a mouse.

I wonder when this series was filmed during the fall of the end of winter as they simply don't have any berries to eat and the weather can be miserable?

This show, since it is self documented, really shows the affect of being isolated of being alone and how each man deals with it. I now understand why memorizing poems and long sagas used to be so important in our society the only way information could be passed down was through the use of an oral tradition.

Alan seems to be the only one who build a lean to shelter using natural materials, I am surprised that none of the others have created better fortified shelters. Sam does seem to have the least sturdy shelter and I wonder why he doesn't have better walls?

The History Channel aired an episode on Wednesday interviewing the 6 men that have already been eliminated as there are only 3 episodes left to go.

Episode 8 - The Freeze - 08/06/15

This episode covers days 32 through 35. It's COLD.

Lucas moves camp and builds a yurt. Lucas gets a bird to eat. Lucas spends almost two straight building a musical instrument with no sleep. Lucas sings his two note song and reminisces about promising his mom not to go crazy.

Mitch builds some trout lines but can't get to them because of the tide.

Alan finds a fish and a duck and has a nice meal.

Sam's dead falls are working and he has a mouse for a meal. Sam is depressed and misses his family.

All the men are dealing with the cold and isolation.

Why are they doing this during winter?

Only two more episodes to go.

An addendum to Episode 8 - it looks as if the episode covers day 32 through day 37.

I am currently watching episode 11 which aired Wednesday, August 5, 2015 which is titled After the Rescue and are interviews with the 6 men who tapped out. That covers the first half hour. Some of the content was already available in videos running on the History Channels website but it was nice to see contained in an episode.

The fishing trap one of the men made was so incredible. It was a piece of art. I do hope he takes it back with him!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Best thing about this show - it's a guys' show. My DH, my 30+ son, and a 45+ friend all sit down on the weekend and watch the DVR together. If they put it on a DVD, we'd all recommend it as a gift for any man who is afraid of being vulnerable. This show isn't just about fishing, logging, surviving, or chasing a dream. It has all of those, but just like the title says, it is a look into total isolation.

On a lighter side, can you imagine the piles of liability releases they must have signed???

ETA: I agree about the fishing contraption, but I really learned something new with that "bait in a bottle" trick.
    Florimel likes this.

This is what a reality show should be but isn't. No manufactured drama, no made up difficulties, just a group of men facing deprivation and isolation with only their own skills to help them and just doing their best. It's in a class of its own in my estimation.
    Maveno and HaikenEdge like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm really crushing on Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    This is what a reality show should be but isn't. No manufactured drama, no made up difficulties, just a group of men facing deprivation and isolation with only their own skills to help them and just doing their best. It's in a class of its own in my estimation.
    Agreed to the max. This is what I thought Naked and Afraid was going to be.
    Maveno and Florimel like this.
    Revenge is ice cream.

+ Reply to Thread