+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Battlebots

Battlebots

Anyone else watch tonight's show? I rarely watch TV live anymore, but for this I made an exception. The Nightmare vs Warrior fight was my favorite of the night, though I was disappointed by the outcome.
    Pool History
    Master Chef 5 - Cutting Board Game Hunters - Second to Last
    Survivor: San Juan Del Sur - 200k DNA - Pool Winner
    Celebrity Apprentice 7 - Brother, Kenya Spare a Dime? - Second to Last
    Survivor: Worlds Apart - I'm Joaquin on Sunshine - 3rd to Last

Re: Battlebots

I watched and really enjoyed it. Hoping Nightmare gets the wildcard!

I about half watched it, wasn't something I thought I would like but I found myself kind of into it, lol! Not sure if I'll watch regularly but it's on right after Celebrity Family Feud which I am watching.

FORT Fogey

I did not watch it because of the True Detective premiere, but I may go back to watch it on demand later. Is it the same show that used to be on cable a few years ago? On Discovery I think?

It was on Comedy Central from '99 to '03. What you're thinking of is probably Robotica; primarily a task-based robot competition, but you had the option to attack your opponent and interefere with their progress. It was hosted by a very hyperactive Ahmett Zappa.

I wish they'd talked more about Warrior's weapons, because it's a real ingenious design; the spinning ring transfers kinetic energy into the flipper using a clutch mechanism. I don't really understand it so I was hoping they'd show it off.
    Pool History

FORT Fogey

No, I was thinking of the Comedy Central version of Battle Bots where people designed robots to go into battle with each other. After reading this thread I googled it and found that it IS the same show with a couple of modifications.
    scoot13 likes this.

I really enjoyed that episode. Looking forward to watching the season!
    Badseed likes this.

I'm good friends with the MIT team, they'll be appearing next week, so I hope you'll cheer for them. I've seen previous robots, and they're a work of art that call for precision driving and expert engineering. They're up against a veteran of robot combat - Donald Hutson, who gave us Tazbot, and 2-time Battlebots champ Diesector. But I think they can do it. (They wouldn't tell me anything, so this is just spectulation). Watch for an Asian guy with blue hair and cat ears.

Here are my predictions for the other 3:

Chomp vs Overdrive: They both have slow weapons that rely on maneuvering. I back the more experienced drivers.

Stinger vs Captain Shrederator: Stinger is from the team that built Sewer Snake, which has shown itself to be a real survivor that's survived and won matches despite taking heavy damage.

Tombstone vs Counter Revolution: No contest. Tombstone has the heaviest spinner I've ever seen, and it might just be the heaviest spinning weapon you can possibly make. It is the most destructive heavyweight, full stop.
    Last edited by Badseed; 06-22-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    Miss_Griss and Arielflies like this.
    Pool History

A bit too much drama in this episode for my liking, but I talked to someone from Overhaul and he confirmed that both incidents were genuine, not instigated by the producers. I hope they change the rules to ban nets; they're cheap and veterans like the Complete Control team ought to know that.

Bronco was really looking good. This team has won a middleweight and a superheavyweight championship, but never a heavyweight, but this could be their year.

I liked watching Warhead but I don't know if I would have given them a wildcard; they looked pretty obsolete whem they lost, and look like they'll be outclassed by whatever robotthey face, except maybe Chomp.
    Pool History

Wow Tombstone looks pretty deadly. I wonder what the secret to beating him will be? Definitely gonna take a good driver to avoid that spinner and get him pushed into the sides.
    Badseed likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast