+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Becoming Us-ABC Family

Becoming Us-ABC Family

Anyone watching? I'm pretty intrigued. It centers on a teenage boy who's dad is transitioning a la Bruce Jenner. I just can't imagine how hard it is, for the son. I think I'm going to enjoy watching his journey.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Becoming Us-ABC Family

I'm watching and I have to admit, I was a little bit disappointed with the first episode. But I'll keep watching because I fully support the show, the families, the situations, and transgendering, in general. Second, even though the characters are a little dull, 'on paper' there is so much potential here for a really interesting, informative show, especially with the TWO transgendered dads (what a coincidence!!!) --- so I'm hoping the episodes will get better.

And I really feel for the son who's going through all of this! It must be very painful. It's interesting that his girlfriend is having an easier time of it --- probably because her dad started transitioning when she was only 6 or 7, so that must be much less traumatic, than having him transition when she was much older.
    karna68 likes this.

The previews for the season look pretty good.

Jax

I agree with Imperfect1. It is much better on paper than actually watching it. I am not sure why it feels so dry and a bit boring, but it does.
    "The poster formerly known as jaytwo" - per pikachu
    FORT 2015 Yearbook Title:
    Jax Of All Trades With The Cutest Avatar Ever

Sometimes life is boring. I'm sure other people would think your day to day life is pretty boring too. It's interesting that the girls father has been transitioning longer but is afraid to go out in public in womens clothes. I hope the two dads can become good friends, they would be a good support system for each other. Ben seems like a very troubled young man. I hope he gets it together.
    karna68 likes this.

Have you guys seen Transparent? It's an amazing series about a man in his 60s with 3 adult children and his transitioning process. Such a good show, I binge watched the whole series in a week. With a similar concept but excellent scripts and fabulous actors like Jeffrey Tambor, Transparent is probably more entertaining to watch! It won Golden Globe awards!

Thanks for the reminder! I just now started watching episode 1 OnDemand.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I like the show, I really feel for Ben.

Jax

Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife View Post
    Sometimes life is boring. I'm sure other people would think your day to day life is pretty boring too. It's interesting that the girls father has been transitioning longer but is afraid to go out in public in womens clothes. I hope the two dads can become good friends, they would be a good support system for each other. Ben seems like a very troubled young man. I hope he gets it together.
    But my life is not on a reality TV show!

I am going to continue to watch just because of the subject matter. But I do hope they find a way to portray all of this in a little bit more entertaining way. Because this show really should be on the air and I would hate for people to fall off it just because of the way it is presented.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "The poster formerly known as jaytwo" - per pikachu
    FORT 2015 Yearbook Title:
    Jax Of All Trades With The Cutest Avatar Ever

But it's a REALITY show. They're not trying to entertain us, they're trying to educate and enlighten us...to give us a glimpse of what these two families are struggling with on a day to day basis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast