+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst - HBO

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst - HBO

This is actually a documentary, not a reality show. I've been watching this 6 part HBO series for the last six weeks and last night was the finale. The last ten minutes of the show were about the biggest mind blower I have ever encountered in a documentary. HBO describes the series:

About the Series

From Andrew Jarecki and Marc Smerling (the Oscar® nominees behind Capturing the Friedmans ), comes The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst, a six-part examination of the reclusive millionaire at the heart of three killings spanning four decades. Robert Durst, the scion of a New York real estate empire, has long been a suspect in the notorious 1982 disappearance of his wife, Kathie. Further suspicion was raised with the unsolved killing of his confidante, Susan Berman, thought to be a key witness in the investigation into Kathie's disappearance in 2000, as well as the subsequent killing and dismemberment of a neighbor in Galveston, Texas. Durst has consistently maintained his innocence and remains a free man today.
    THE JINX

I've been somewhat fascinated by Robert Durst for years now. Who would think that, no matter how rich or eccentric someone is, you could be found and arrested for dismembering a man's body and disposing of the parts in black plastic garbage bags in the Galveston Bay and be acquitted of murder charges by a jury and sentenced to only a few months for cutting up the body? And that while under suspicion of killing your wife and a good friend. I can not imagine what Bob Durst was thinking when he agreed to assist film maker, Andrew Jarecki, in making a documentary about his life. Arrogance and hubris perhaps, he had gotten away with everything so far, so what could it hurt?

I just sat stunned after watching the last ten or so minutes of The Jinx (you'd have to watch the series to understand the impact) and within 15 minutes of the end of the show, Yahoo! headlines announced Durst had been arrested in New Orleans and was being extradited to LA for the murder of Susan Berman. Durst had been hoist by his own petard. Brilliant! Now we get to watch another trial with the best legal team money can buy and see if he can get away with murder again!

Real estate heir Robert Durst arrested in 2000 murder case, LA police say - CNN.com
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst - HBO

We've seen parts of the show as well . . . it's amazing what a serial killer with lots of money can get away with.
    FoRT friend you are most likely to meet up with, wherever you live!
    So far: Jezebella, Punkin, Momrek06, Ellen, JLuvs, Pikachu, Cornholio
    Working on: Everybody else!

Watch Episode 6. It will blow your mind!

Jax

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    We've seen parts of the show as well . . . it's amazing what a serial killer with lots of money can get away with.
    I wonder if he is actually a serial killer or if he just gets rid of people who get in his way or cross him.
    "The poster formerly known as jaytwo" - per pikachu
    FORT 2015 Yearbook Title:
    Jax Of All Trades With The Cutest Avatar Ever

Yes, he's not really a serial killer in the way they usually are labeled. He killed his wife, probably a crime of passion, and successfully hid her remains. Susan Berman knew too much and had become a heroin addict, making her undependable in his eyes and he killed her just before she was to be interviewed by the police in their reopened inquiry over the disappearance of his wife. Who knows why he killed the old man. I really look forward o the trial in LA for Berman's killing. Interestingly the evidence that pretty much sealed his fate was something the police never had and would have never been put together had Durst not suggested a collaboration on telling his story with Jamekis. He got his own self "caught"!
    Maveno, redsox girl and Jax like this.

From the fount of all knowledge, Wikipedia:

"A serial killer is a person who has murdered three or more people over a period of more than a month, with down time (a "cooling off period") between each of the murders. Some sources, such as the FBI, disregard the "three or more" criterion and define the term as "a series of two or more murders, committed as separate events, usually, but not always, by one offender acting alone" or, including the vital characteristics, a minimum of two murders.

"The motivation for serial killing is usually based on psychological gratification. Most serial killings involve sexual contact with the victim, but the FBI states that motives can include anger, thrill, financial gain, and attention seeking. The murders may be attempted or completed in a similar fashion and the victims may have something in common: race, appearance, sex, or age group, for example."

I'm sticking with the thought he's a serial killer. And the thing all his victims had in common was that they unfortunately knew Durst.
    redsox girl likes this.

Jax

But serial killers kill for the thrill of it. While I do not pretend to know inside this guys mind, I don't think that was his reason for it.

But I certainly have no problem lumping him in with serial killers!
    Punkin and AZChristian like this.

I think he's mentally defective in that his sense of entitlement in life even allows him to kill people whose behaviors do not please him. But I don't think he's so mentally ill that he should be found not guilty due to insanity. He's definitely a weird duck.
    Jax likes this.

Jax

I would even go so far as to call him a psychopath.
    AZChristian likes this.

When he was a child his father forced him to stand at a window and watch his mother who was on the roof of their mansion, about to jump to her suicide. People who knew him say he was never the same afterward, emotionally closed off. Many years later when his father was elderly, Durst asked him why he had made him watch his mother jump. His father said, "I thought if she could see you in the window she wouldn't jump."

Andrew Jarecki, who co-wrote and directed the Documentary, The Jinx, had previously written a fictional movie, All Good Things (2010) based on the story of Durst and the suspected murders he had gotten away with. It's a pretty good movie, I watched it on Netflix. Durst saw the movie and called Jarecki to propose the documentary collaboration. What was he thinking?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast