+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

I'm starting this thread due to interest the show demonstrated on the Winter Show thread.

My Big Fat Fabulous Life: TLC

This show is filmed in my home state of NC. Maybe, that's why I find it so amusing. The lead character is Whitney and she is really funny, IMO. Her parents are too. I hope the ratings were good, as I would like this show to continue.

I'm not easy to impress or amuse, but there were a couple of times that it caused me to laugh out loud! That's rare. The interaction between Whitney and her mom is the best part, IMO. Plus, Whitney is so honest.

I do empathize with Whitney and hope she does meet her weight loss goals. They seem reasonable.

Please share your thoughts here after you watch. I have a feeling this show might be a big hit.
    candor, mika06 and momrek06 like this.

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

I saw the commercial for this show while I was watching "My Husband's Not Gay," and I thought it looked interesting so I set my DVR to record it. I haven't had a chance to watch it, but as soon as I do, I'll give you my critique. I know there's going to be some negative comments made toward Whitney from onlookers (read: gawkers), but I hope the show doesn't focus on that part too much. I don't have a weight problem but a couple family members do so that's an area I'm kind of sensitive about? Maybe 'overprotective' is a better word. I don't know. I just don't want the show to make a mockery of the girl.
    ilja likes this.
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

IMO, she deals with the stigma pretty well. She says how she feels and yet isn't in your face about it. I had thought that it was going to be a show about a very obese woman who liked being obese, but no, that's not the case. She was quite thin her entire life and due to a medical condition gained a lot of weight in college. She's trying to lose weight now, but doesn't want her size to dictate what she does in life. I found it refreshing.

I have never been that overweight, though I have always had to watch my weight to stay average size. I have done lots of exercise and dieting for most of my life, but if I didn't, I would be much larger.

I really want to watch it. It sounds like she has a positive message.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I plan on watching it tonight.

I recorded the Series. So the first epi is on the dvr.
    KAREN

I wanted to catch this. My weight has fluctuated a few times from traditionally "hot" to what I am now and back and forth again for various reasons. I read a lot of articles online about weight things and in the last year have had a very negative person in my life and I had this period where I completely stopped doing stuff I liked to do anymore that was active (mainly when I was seeing a dietician who was huge in to fat shaming). I didn't want to go out of the house and subject people to my physical ugliness and it was clear to me from the comments I read online that the beautiful people didn't want to be subjected to my ugliness. So I gave up stuff like hiking and walking my dog and that kind of stuff that got me out and doing stuff that I liked to do.

I'm not feeling as miserable these days and am able to simply put blinders on much of the time and just live my life unapologetically. But there's still stuff I won't do because I've tried it and got the leers and crappy comments like yoga in a class, dancing where other humans might be, anything a gym etc. I'd love to start swimming again as my joints have gotten really damaged over the years but I don't dare go to the public pool and subject myself to the ritualistic shaming. Or shoot even just going out to eat with a friend (because after all fat people shouldn't eat in public without severe judgement). And it kind of annoys me that during my thin periods of life I can guarantee I was not physically healthy with what I was doing to my body and the stuff I shoveled into my mouth was 100 times worse than my fat foods.

I don't know why I'm even saying any of this but it's just nice for once to see a show about a fat girl who has been on both sides of things and who is just living her life without apology. It always kind of bothered me that thin me never had to apologize for anything but fat me had to apologize for everything. And I just want to be like but dude... I'm the same me either way.
    PGM35, Duckyface, ilja and 1 others like this.

Love her mom. I kept thinking that if this were a Bravo show, she'd be an Andy Cohen fav.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I don't know why I'm even saying any of this but it's just nice for once to see a show about a fat girl who has been on both sides of things and who is just living her life without apology. It always kind of bothered me that thin me never had to apologize for anything but fat me had to apologize for everything. And I just want to be like but dude... I'm the same me either way.
    I grew up overweight and made fun of. I lost most of it in my early 20s, but now nearing 50, I have gained quite a bit of it back and I just feel bad. I really do need to watch this show and get this message.
    ilja likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Do you have a "Curves" near you, causingchaos? Fun exercise for all shaped women and ONLY women of all ages. No judgments, only fun fitness programs!
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Do you have a "Curves" near you, causingchaos? Fun exercise for all shaped women and ONLY women of all ages. No judgments, only fun fitness programs!
    We did at one point but not anymore. Couple gyms and the Y now. And not everyone is mean at the gyms but the reality is enough are that it's insanely uncomfortable to go there. I've noticed in my recent fat time it apparently become all the rage or at least socially acceptable to shame people in public by making comments about them.

Honestly my worse nightmare is to end up as a picture on twitter or one of those other websites. Like people of walmart or shaming people on airplanes or there's some for people at the gym too.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast