+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 128 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree1441Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

There were old episodes on last night, right. I didn't catch them, but saw that the preview for the new season starts this week. I think on Wednesday night.

The first new listing I could find on TitanTV was for next Wednesday, Sept 9th, but I don't know how reliable TitanTV always is.

Many people do not have fast metabolisms. I am glad she is enjoying herself; but I do not want to see her in My 600 pound life.

The people who bully or pick at people for weight or other issues, I think have misplaced anger. They are really upset at their mom or someone close.
    causingchaos likes this.
    The last word isn't really important in situations when nobody is listening.

Well, last night was certainly a surprise. First of all, I watched the review show where Whitney talked about last season and they showed her home videos and unseen clips from last season. I had no idea that Whitney's medical condition also causes baldness! The girl is half bald. I had no idea. Her hair is actually hair extensions. They showed her at the hair salon. That took a lot of courage. She says it's something she really has trouble accepting. She said she could accept her fat, but the baldness really troubled her. I hope that is something that will improve if her health improves.

This season is not going to be as much about her enjoying her size as it will be about losing weight and controlling her pre-diabetes. Her A1C was the focus of the premiere. Her pre-diabetic status has apparently scared the hey out of her and she is now on a mission to get it down by losing weight. They showed her with her doctor and nutritionist. She says she regrets not getting more serious sooner. I did feel for her. You can tell she is really scared.

At the doctor visit, she had lost 3 pounds, but her A1C had still increased from 3 months earlier. She has decided to eat 3 meals a day and really reduce her carbs, according to the advice of the nutritionist.

She had a bike made specifically for her and learned to ride it. She's also still teaching dance. From the previews, she is also swimming and doing water aerobics. She's really working on her health. So, I feel very good about this new season. I hope she can get her A1C down. My mom did and she is now not in the Pre-diabetic range.

Whitney is still Whitney, but I suspect that her new found dedication on weight loss will be an inspiration to many others. I think we can learn a lot from her journey.

I didn’t catch all of the episodes because of conflicts with other programs so I missed the hair part. She's really very pretty.

It was tedious listening to the misinformation about pre-diabetes and that it is not diabetes, and all the horrors that represents, until A1c is fractionally higher. Pre-diabetes *is* early diabetes. It was given the name of pre-diabetes back in the days when diabetes was difficult to control (before home monitoring meters) and there were potentially serious ramifications with your job security and various insurance policies. So it wasn’t formally diagnosed as diabetes until the condition was actually fairly well developed and unfortunately that standard has stuck.

Good news that she was already committed to cutting back on carbs (also that she hadn't put on any weight). Bad news if the dietitian she hadn’t seen yet endorses carb counting and eating more carbs than she might have because of paranoia about fats. Or is carb counting only part of diabetes management when insulin is involved?

An A1c of 6.4 means her average blood glucose is 137, and that’s high enough to be causing health issues for her much of the time (the threshold is about 140). A1c reflects what was eaten the past 2 or 3 months. We weren’t told how recently she modified her diet, so maybe her A1c is on the way down. If not for her intensive dance aerobics, I suspect her numbers would be far worse.

Debb70, I agree it will be great if others can learn from what she's going through, but a lot of that will depend on the quality of the advice she's given and how the producers edit the episodes.
    Punkin and candor like this.

Well, Whitney is seeing Duke Endocrinology. I would trust their diagnosis. Also, the information Whitney provided about her A1C and diagnosis is also supported by information on the American Diabetes Association website. Here's a link:
    Diagnosing Diabetes and Learning About Prediabetes: American Diabetes Association®

I suspect that Whitney did cut back on her food intake as she said when she got the first A1C, however, I noticed Whitney's friend said that Whitney drank Starbucks high sugar drinks all day. I was a little surprised, since that is the first thing that I would have addressed, but, she's off of those drinks now and has switched to plain tea.

I trust that Whitney had a longer session with the nutritionist than what we saw. I believe she will learn what she needs to do to reduce her weight and A1C. She was open to having her dad help her, so she will have a support system.

As she said, she has never worked very hard at something that she did not succeed at. I hope that continues.

I recently saw some old footage of Whitney's mom when she was very young. She was very beautiful. Just stunning.
    The old video of Whitney showed how thin she was as a young child. She's always been a pistol and so very active.

Later to come this season:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I saw a story and photos of Whitney recently with her new boyfriend. It's not Buddy. She's very much in love and is extremely happy.
    He's shown on the show in the previews.

The idea that 6.5 is suddenly diabetes and 6.4 isn't is ridiculous. It's a gradation. This splitting hairs, for the sake of historic insurance and employment issues, is nonsense. It means people will be delayed in accepting they need to hop on getting their blood sugar under control. That much longer for damage to take place and associated chronic conditions to develop and that much harder to correct it. That's what my late husband was up against and he suffered horribly for the lack of action by several top Greater Boston medical facilities. It's not just elevated blood sugar that's the problem, elevated insulin is very inflammatory.

It's officially "diabetes" when the average blood sugar is 140, taking into account swings in both directions. 140 happens to be the level above which a lot of damage occurs so you want to limit the extent that ever happens, not just aspire to that average. Especially if you want to maintain some flexibility as to what you can eat, which Whitney wants because she loves pasta. Now she needs to make very abrupt changes in how she eats, a lot easier if you can finetune your eating habits over time.

Thanks for the spoiler, I'm happy for her!

Oh my. Whitney's dad is pre-diabetic too! He and Whitney are working together on changing their eating habits and exercising. They both went to see Whitney's nutritionist. AND they both completed a 5K charity event. I honestly don't know how Whitney did it. The woman is very devoted when she sets her mind to something.

(Just to give perspective on the A1C numbers. I'm a full fledged Type I diabetic and the time before last my A1C was 6.8. Of course, I take two kinds of insulin.)

She seems to really like this new man. He certainly appears to be a jewel from the way he treated her. I'm impressed.

I noticed that when she went on her date to a wine and paint place, she only drank water. In fact, this season, the only thing she has consumed so far is water. (With the exception of the grilled chicken salad in the restaurant.)

I haven’t seen yesterday’s episodes yet, and when I commented last time I hadn’t yet seen Whitney’s first session with the nutritionist. I like the nutritionist’s can-do attitude and some of the basic recommendations she passed on, and Whitney seems motivated to give it her best. She still needs the tools. A blood glucose meter to check how she handles specific food combinations would be awesome. This last clinic visit was 3 months after her first one, so with whatever dietary changes she had made on her own, her A1c may already have come down somewhat. (Considering what is at stake, I don’t get why it wasn’t checked at the first visit.)

A few years ago when I started exploring how to help my husband with his Type 2 diabetes and avoid it for myself I stumbled onto bloodsugar101.com. I was struck by the discussion and supporting research in their “Healthy Blood Sugar Targets” article. To prevent permanent damage, blood glucose needs to be kept far lower than the American Diabetes Association accepts or the level that triggers a formal diagnosis of diabetes. I have watched friends develop Type 2 and have to go on insulin. The loss of flexibility is so hard on them and that is what Whitney is now faced with. It’s a whole different ball of wax than the auto-immune Type 1 you’re having to manage, Debb70. I wish you continued luck with it, and a cure in your lifetime.

So far I’m enjoying Whitney more this season.

Thanks for the kind words Brooks. Yes, Whitney does seem to have changed with this health crisis.

I didn't hear whether either one of them went on medication. Perhaps, it's premature. When my mom was diagnosed pre, she got a blood meter and kept check on her blood sugar levels. It really is the key, IMO. Of course, when you take insulin, you must check your BS levels multiple times during the day, but I would think it would be a great tool for anyone with blood sugar issues.

It didn't appear that Whitney's dad was overweight, but not all Type II's are. I share one of their bad eating habits though and that is not eating during the day. I have to really work on that. I don't feel the need to eat during the day. When I'm busy, I don't even think about it. I'm normally not hungry. I have to fight to eat on a schedule. I'm doing better this week.

+ Reply to Thread