+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 128 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126 ... LastLast
Like Tree1441Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

FORT Newbie

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Did anyone notice when she got the message from the guy at the radio station? When she returned his message she gave the JOKER face from the early Bat Man shows.
    Punkin and FlyAKite like this.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by zelda View Post
    Did anyone notice when she got the message from the guy at the radio station? When she returned his message she gave the JOKER face from the early Bat Man shows.
    Yes that is what I said to my daughter she looks like the joker.
    zelda likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I don't think you can "train" a pig to behave like a dog; they're two different species. I may be proven wrong but, for the sake of the poor pig, leave him intact and put him on some nice farm where he can mud-wrestle to his heart's content with other little piggies.

Well, we all knew she would pick her BESTIE, the trendily transgender Mattie. No bias there! But, if the shunning of Catie was real and not just the show, that tells us all we need to know about her "professionalism."

How can she purport to "teach exercise" with no training or certification (that we know of)? Even at your local senior center, you're supposed to be licensed to some degree for the safety of the participants; does the same not apply to media or GDS?

Points for "Werk" with Whitney (play on "twerk").
    I wondered about the possibility of training a pig, and apparently it can be done--at least I found a video of a pig doing basic obedience exercises. The pig even did an on-leash performance to music with multiple dogs in the routine with the pig. Now, granted, that may be "some pig" as E.B. White put it in Charlotte's Web, but I guess it was possible for that pig and that owner. However, I'm sure, just as it is with a dog, the owner has to be committed to doing the training, and I noticed only the dog trainer handling the pig during that class. Anybody who's done any training of a dog can tell you that it isn't just about training the dog, it's about training the owner/handler too. If only the dog knows the commands, and its owner/handler doesn't reinforce them and its training, the dog's behavior isn't going to improve. Frankly, I don't think anyone in Alistair's porky little life has the consistency to train him, except maybe Whitney's father, and he's not interested in it, and I really don't blame him. That pig was sprung on him, which is an inconsiderate thing to do when it comes to a family pet, and it's pretty clear that neither Whitney nor her mother were prepared to have a pig as a pet.

FORT Fogey

Whew; no love lost for Big Whit in the comment section!
    Punkin and zelda like this.

FORT Fogey

Whitney's behavior in last night's episode made very clear why so many viewers are becoming disenchanted with her. Her immaturity was really showing. For instance, she literally screamed for her parents when Alistair humped her leg. I'm sure that wasn't pleasant, but he's a pig, dear. He wasn't sexually assaulting you. He just doesn't know any better, he's hit piggy adolescence, and he has no other pigs with which to interact, and you and your mother aren't doing a very good job of providing him with an appropriate environment if you're locking him away in a pen in a room. No wonder he went on a destructive rampage when he got loose--and really, any self-respecting piggy was going to get out of that pen easily.

She also claims she wants to win the ballroom dance competition, but she can't stand the required footwear for more than a few minutes at a time, and even she admits that she and Todd really need six months, not a month, to prepare (and I'd say six months probably wouldn't be enough either, considering some entrants would have been practicing for years, even at the amateur level). When Todd didn't want to take off her shoes, she also whined and asked him what he expected her to do, since she couldn't lift her leg up so that she could undo them herself. I longed for him to say, "I expect you to be able to take your own shoes on and off, and if you can't, to do something about the fact that you can't--and to wear shoes you can manage until you can take your own dance shoes on and off yourself. Maybe that's a little more important in the long run than being in a dance competition right now." But at least Todd is getting irked at her assumption that everyone is perfectly okay with her needing their help constantly because of her weight gain. Predictably, Whitney also wasn't happy when the dance instructor got tough with them, even though she warned Whitney that she was going to be hard on them and Whitney said that was fine. If Whitney isn't getting her ego stroked constantly, she's not happy.

Speaking of which, if Whitney had just said she wanted to pick the dancers she did for the video because she preferred working with them because she liked them, I would have thought that might not be the best idea but that at least she was being honest. There really wasn't any point putting the others through the audition when she pretty much knew she was picking Mattie and definitely wasn't picking Caitlin--and knew which of the top three girls she was going to choose among for her "top" dancer. Realistically, Mattie wasn't the best choice, and I thought some of the other dancers at her level sold the dance better, but Whitney was going to choose Mattie no matter what, so why put everyone through the audition process in the first place? And poor Caitlin, thinking that stepping in to lead the class when Whitney couldn't was going to a factor in her favor...she seriously underestimates Whitney's vindictiveness. Todd also had that one dead to rights when he said that there was no way Whitney was going to choose Caitlin because then it wouldn't be clear that Whitney was the "star." She had to have back-up dancers who wouldn't challenge her ability to out-dance them. And with regard to that, I'm terribly klutzy, and I'm pretty sure I could have done the routine in that video--and sold it, since I have some background in theatre, including musical theatre. What she's choreographing as exercise isn't much in the way of exercise--people would be better off looking at Richard Simmon's old "Sweatin' to the Oldies" videos--and I thought it was telling that she was concerned about how long the video would be and when she was told "twenty minutes, " she said she thought she could handle that. Why is someone who can't exercise for more than twenty minutes at a time even doing an exercise video--and what was she going to do if they needed a bunch of retakes?

Whitney also went on about Roy and how he had a crush on her, how guys have flirted with her in the past etc. All I could think of was, "Wow. Think much of yourself, do you?" I don't care what a person weighs--if he/she goes on about how others flirt with him/her or have crushes on him/her, I think it's bragging and inappropriate. Even if it's true, it's still bragging and inappropriate.

Finally, I hope Will has cut his last tie with her. Early in the episode, Whitney said something to the effect that she had missed several appointments with Will but that she was doing a lot of dance stuff, so it probably didn't matter. Well, maybe not to Whitney, but I'm sure it did matter to Will. Did she bother to call and let him know she wasn't coming in? Did he still get paid for the sessions she didn't attend, since she had scheduled them and he had assumed she would keep those appointments, so he had made sure he was free to train her and that he didn't take on another client in her place at that time? Did it occur to her at all that training people is his business, and if someone he is training gains weight, loses stamina, and generally doesn't look if she's making any progress at all, it may reflect on his professional standing too? Who's going to want a trainer who has a prominent client whose health is getting worse, not better, while allegedly "training" with him? I also about lost it when Will asked about the training bars he gave her to keep in her car to eat instead of going out for fast food or giant cookies, and she whined, "I ate them all!" Well, geez, then go buy some more. If you don't know where he got them, call him and ask. It's no different than buying groceries--and, by the way, there are things widely available in most grocery stores that could be kept in a car or a cooler in a car so that there would be good choices easily available: fruit, vegetables, individual servings of humuus (as I don't think Whitney has good judgement as to what a serving is and needs things prepackaged for her), low-fat granola bars, low-fat string cheese etc. Or she could do as Will said she should and plan out her meals ahead of time so that she has a lunch packed and ready to go when she's hungry. But all that takes effort, and it's clear that Whitney expects things to happen magically, without effort--her pig should be a great house pet without her knowing how to go about making that happen or putting in the effort to make sure that happens; she should become an amateur dance champion in a month, even though she can't move in the required shoes for more than a few minutes at a time; she should be able to behave like a "mean girl" when casting a video and have it still work out great for her; she should be able to disrespect her trainer--laughing about how she's not reporting what she eats to him, not showing up for training sessions, not following the dietary plan he set up for her--without his reacting to that disrespect by being disappointed in her to the point that he no longer wishes to work with her. That's how a fairly immature child behaves--and none of it has to do with her weight. It all has to do with her attitude and how she treats other people.

FORT Fogey

Also, hasn't she gotten REALLY LOUD? Was she always this loud and crude? When she was venting to Buddy about the comic, I had to turn down the volume on my TV!
    zelda likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Whew; no love lost for Big Whit in the comment section!
    And I can't really blame them, particularly since a lot of them aren't commenting on her weight but on her behavior--being obese is not an excuse for behaving childishly.
    FlyAKite and zelda like this.

I wonder what Will thinks now that he's seen the shows? I'd kill to have the opportunities and benefits she has thrown aside. I can't afford a trainer. That would be awesome! She's so delusional about her life and what is really happening. I'll be glad when I can watch these episodes somewhere. Not having any cable service is not fun.
    Punkin and zelda like this.
    "I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye." Dr. Who (10th doctor and my favorite)

Quote Originally Posted by agamergirl View Post
    I'll be glad when I can watch these episodes somewhere.
    They're available on tlc.com's website so you can watch them on your computer, just not the most recent episode, you have to wait a week.
    agamergirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Finally, I hope Will has cut his last tie with her. Early in the episode, Whitney said something to the effect that she had missed several appointments with Will but that she was doing a lot of dance stuff, so it probably didn't matter. Well, maybe not to Whitney, but I'm sure it did matter to Will. Did she bother to call and let him know she wasn't coming in? Did he still get paid for the sessions she didn't attend, since she had scheduled them and he had assumed she would keep those appointments, so he had made sure he was free to train her and that he didn't take on another client in her place at that time?
    This is classic Whitney and, frankly, classic narcissistic behavior. It wouldn't even occur to her that her absence would inconvenience Will or cost him money. I wonder if he did get paid. Maybe the show is paying him and not Whitney. Still, it's never fun to have your time wasted. I'm sure he could find other clients who would want his help. I know I'd love a trainer like him, only I can't afford a personal trainer.

Having dated a guy who had a pet pig, I can tell you that they can NOT be trained like a dog. They can sort of be trained. They'll do what you want them to do....unless they don't want to. Then they pee on the floor. Obviously, they didn't know the first thing about owning a pet pig, nor do they seem willing to do the work required. Pigs are very smart. Smarter than dogs, I think. I'd argue that they are smart enough to know they can ignore you if they want! You see that with lots of people who adopt unusual pets. Heck, I think we all probably know people who own dogs they don't train properly! This is why there are rescue organizations for almost ever dog breed and all sorts of animals. People think the baby animal is super cute, but they don't bother to do their research about what owning one of those :animals entails. I don't have much respect for people like that. It's not a toy; it's a living creature.

This thing with her flirting with the guy at work is just another example of her immaturity. She seems to run her life like she's in junior high. She acts like a mean girl in her dance class, like she's in 8th grade math class and passing notes when she's supposed to be working, and her reaction when the pig tried to hump her leg? ....it's embarrassing, although Whitney doesn't seem to be embarrassed by any of her ridiculous behavior.

I'm not surprised that viewers dislike her. I don't think she'd be appealing at any size.
    Punkin, FlyAKite and zelda like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread