+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 128 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast
Like Tree1441Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

In regards to any type of bariatric surgery. Surgery is not necessary to solution to being obese. Unless you are committed to a permanent change in lifestyle you will regain the weight.
    No goat killers on my island.

FORT Fogey

I would think at least some insurance companies would be willing to pay for bariatric surgery if for no other reason than that it might be cheaper in the long run than paying for many of the associated illnesses that might accompany someone remaining morbidly obese--though, yeah, I'm sure they'd want some kind of definite commitment to work with a program after the surgery to get the weight off and keep it off. But then, I also can't imagine undergoing surgery if I weren't fully committed to working with a program.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I think that most health insurance companies now cover bariatric surgeries, if you meet their requirements, normally on BMI and fitness for sugery. I don't think it's the cost that would hold Whitney back.

I just don't think she wants to eat differently and that is a requirement. So, I'm not sure what the answer is. I guess the status quo will continue.

I suggested upthread about a program in Durham (not far from Greensboro) that has a residential program where you live and are taught how to eat right for your body, along with supervised meals, exercise programs, counseling, support groups, etc. It's pricey, but it's very valuable.
    The Durham program sounds like what I was imagining in terms of a program that might help. It seems like the kind of thing that would be worth a try before going the surgical route, though I understand that's a viable and necessary option for some people. Unfortunately, I fear Whitney would view that as being others trying to judge and fat shame her, when really, what it would be is others showing concern for her overall well-being, not just her weight.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

I know lots of people who have gotten just the band, and I don't even know that many people... Don't think it was that rigorous an application process. I think it's only a big deal if you're over 600 pounds... Or on Dr. Now's show, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    She's setting herself up for cancer, the types that warrant having your reproductive organs removed so it doesn't spread. And other major issues she apparently hasn't been warned about yet. But I have to admit, I was immortal at her age too.
    And not just a few cancers: Obesity, Weight, and Cancer Risk | Cancer.Net
    • Breast
    • Uterine
    • Kidney
    • Head and neck
    • Esophageal
    • Pancreatic
    • Endometrium (lining of the uterus)
    • Gallbladder
    • Thyroid
    There are other diseases/conditions that are linked to obesity as well, including the cardiovascular issues Whitney's already getting a hint of. Carrying as much extra weight as Whitney is basically a ticking time bomb.

I would hazard a guess that NO women want to deal with reproductive (or ANY) cancer, regardless of whether or not they want to have children.

Debb - could it be that she is more enamored of someone who she sees as being like herself? We know she's very self-centered, so she would see him as a validation. The guy who lost weight was able to do something she can't (or won't), so that would be like a rebuke or her lifestyle and choices. Just a guess, of course.

IMO, the obesity rate has less to do with TV than it does with readily available highly caloric foods. If you look at the rise in obesity rates in this country, it goes right along with the rise of fast foods and junk food and sugar being used in everything. Watching TV doesn't make you fat, although eating chips and cookies and drinking soda while doing it does. Weight gain (and loss) is much more about food than physical activity.

I keep vowing that I'm not going to watch this show anymore, but I keep watching. It's more of a hate watch at this point. It's like a car wreck.....or a dumpster fire. I watch it while I work out. Whitney is proof that, if you want an excuse to NOT lose weight, you'll find one (or two or three...), so I use this show as motivation to NOT have excuses.

I know a handful of people who've had one form of WLS or another and I don't know ANY who've lost and kept it off, AND I don't know any who didn't have to go through a pretty rigorous counseling program before being approved for surgery. IMO, any doctor who doesn't require the patient to display a commitment to a change in lifestyle is just in it for the money. I can't imagine what doctor would approve Whitney for WLS....at least any doctor who's seen this show. It's clear she's still looking for the easy way, ie. a way she can lose weight without actually having to change her diet or behavior in any way.
    Brooks and zelda like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've held off from telling this story because it is too close and painful for me, but...

In February my youngest sister died from complications of bariatric surgery. She was just 61 and when she had the surgery 3 years ago she was about 5'4" and maybe 220 lbs. She had suffered from fibromyalgia for the last 18 years and her Medi-Cal doctor (she was on disability) thought she might benefit from BS to take weight off her joints. She needed $200 to take the psychological exam and we "lent" it to her. I never thought she'd be approved. I'd known her all her life and knew she had always had nutty food problems, mostly around not eating certain many types of food. Her biggest problem was being a Pepsicoholic. She downed 10 to 14 cans a day, and I knew she wouldn't give Pepsi up. So she lied (maybe to herself too) during the psych exam about her commitment to change her eating habits and got approved for the surgery. First of all, they closed off too much of her stomach and she wasn't able to keep anything down. I suspect she was eating things she shouldn't and I know she was still sucking down the Pepsi beast. Within a year she was down to 80 lbs. and very sick. They eventually sort of reversed the surgery, though badly as she now had a 'pocket' in the stomach that got infected regularly. She was hospitalized over and over and had no quality of life. She could not hold a livable potassium level and spent time in hospitals and nursing homes to control the levels. She managed to contract several infections, probably from being in the hospital so much - that is where the germs are. In mid 2015 she contracted C-diff, an infection in the colon resulting from too many antibiotics, killing the helpful bacteria in the colon and creating constant diarrhea and dehydration. They even tried a fecal transplant, hoping to re-establish a healthy bacterial environment in the colon, but it didn't take. She spent her last 7 months in the hospital with nasty, painful bedsores, two resuscitations from her heart stopping and no future outside of hospitals and rest homes. By the last time we went to see her in Pittsburg CA, a few days before she died, she had agreed to have her feeding tube discontinued and was on hospice care. She said, "It's OK, Lynda, I'm ready to go and I know God loves me." That was my baby sister. I'm still crying.

I know that bariatric surgery is lifesaving for many, but you really must have a commitment to change your eating habits and lifestyle for it to work. I just don't think Whitney is in any way ready for that. I watched only half of the first season and none of the second. I tuned back in this season for the fascination of the 'train wreck' the previews showed. But I have no respect for her or her stubborn determination to be fat just to carry on her fat-shaming campaign. Another TLC disaster. Profits at the expense of their "stars". Disgusting.

(RIP, Ditto (Denise), Love you.)
    Lynda

FORT Fogey

So sorry about your sister, Punkin. Unfortunately we can't control our siblings' behavior, no matter how much we may wish to in order to help them. I have a sister whose weight has led to health problems too, and in some ways, she's also always been in denial about her weight and how it affects her life. You did what you could to help Denise, and clearly you and she had a good relationship up to the end. That's the best you could have done in the situation with which you were faced.
    Punkin, zelda and Mrs. Hanson like this.

Thinking about you, Punkin and your sister.
    Punkin likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Punkin, that was hard to share, but we all learn from each other. Thank you for sharing Ditto's story with us.
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.
    I'm Paula.

Punkin, that's so sad about your sister. My goodness, it must have been so horrible to watch her go through that ordeal. Thank you for sharing. It is such a serious procedure and I get why it's the last resort. I know someone who had a similar experience to your sister, but she is still alive. And like your sister, this lady that I know was not a good candidate for surgery. She was turned down for years by most doctors and finally found someone to do it and it was bad news from the start.

I was right on my prediction about the dance student saving the day. So predictable.

Did anyone catch Whitney signing an autograph on the parade route? There was a quick shot of it, but she was definitely signing something.

I do think that this season is leading up to a weight loss theme with Whitney. I'm not sure if it will be with her own plan or surgery, but I do think it's coming. I mean, what are they going to have for next season if this season was Whitney is Too Obese to Live her Life? So, next season has to be about a change. I mean, I don't think that next season's theme of MORE of Whitney is too obese to live her life would go over well. Or, Whitney is Now Bed bound...I don't think so.

Am I the only one who doubts that Whitney had a back injury? I hate to say it, but, I think that was staged too and imo, you shouldn't pretend things like that, even for a reality show.
    Punkin and zelda like this.

+ Reply to Thread