+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 128 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree1441Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I noticed that in the episode where Whitney went grocery shopping, she stated that a proper diet plan was needed in order for her to really lose weight. She said, she couldn't just cut out soft drinks and exercise and lose weight. And she was in that store to buy proper food, so I'm not sure how much more you can do to show you are serious about eating healthy and proper food for weight loss.

Whitney's personality may not be for everyone, but IMO, she shows a lot of heart and courage. If you've never known anyone morbidly obese, I can see how she might bother you. IMO, people are people on the inside. Would she be a horrible person if she was thin?

From what her friends say on the show, Whitney is solid person and always has their back. She's a friend they can count on. That says a lot to me, too.

I laugh a lot at Whitney, but it's not at her weight. I actually think she's funny. IMO, she makes fun of herself a lot, because she wants to do it, before you do it.

I think Whitney's mom is really funny too.
    Actually buying and eating it? We've only seen her eat bacon and pizza so far. IIRC, All we saw was her drooling over food she shouldn't be eating or complaining about her mother's soup addiction.

Like I said upthread, I think Whitney wants to lose weight, but she might not be ready to do the work to actually lose weight.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I didn't notice they showed her eating any food since she went grocery shopping. She indicated she knew how she needed to improve her diet. That will be challenging, but I wish her well. I didn't think she really took issue with her mom eating soup. I took it more as a joke thing.

I think it's common for us to assume that someone who is very overweight isn't likely to comply with weight loss strategies. That assumption is often correct, as I have heard Dr. Nowzaradan, who appears on My 600 Pound Life, speak of it. He and other doctors who treat morbid obesity, say that it is extremely rare and difficult for a person who is morbidly obese or super morbidly obese (more than 100 pounds overweight) to lose weight. It's almost never achieved without some kind of medical and surgical intervention.
    Houston Obesity Surgery

So, I wouldn't be surprised if Whitney is not able to lose weight, despite her desire and efforts. It's not that simple. There are many psychological factors that prevent them from succeeding. The exercise is tough too. The amount of chaffing, muscle strain and pressure on your joints when you are that large must be unbelievable. I think it would be easy to give up and not push on moving more. The failure of the obese patient is generally categorized as laziness. It's sad and unfortunate.

If Whitney succeeds, I will be pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure why she hasn't considered bariatric surgery, especially the new one, that is not permanent. They place a device in your belly that sends a signal to the brain that you are not so hungry. It's supposed to be great. Only snag is the cost that is so far not covered by insurance.

If Whitney doesn't succeed at losing weight, then she's still a human being and as entitled to dancing, laughing and being happy as anyone else. To my knowledge she isn't hurting others, making fun of others or putting anyone down. Her friends say she's super good to them and quite an inspiration. That's a positive, IMO, especially considering the way she's been treated.
    somegoodname likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I didn't notice they showed her eating any food since she went grocery shopping. She indicated she knew how she needed to improve her diet.
    Knowing something is one thing; actually doing it is another. In that same episode, she was fixing herself a banana and mayonnaise sandwich. I guess we'll see....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I think Whitney is torn between embracing her large, fabulous self and wishing she were smaller. In many ways it's easier for her to accept herself the way she is, for whatever reasons, be it physical (PCOS, which I know nothing about but intend to learn) or emotional, than to face the challenge of losing a serious amount of weight. I also think TLC wants this show to be more than just a weight-loss journey story.

On a smaller but still relevant scale, I relate to where she is. Although I've never been morbidly obese, there were years in my 40s where I seemed stuck at a weight about 30 lbs. heaver than I really wanted to be. I told myself I wasn't *that* overweight and looked average for my age, and even slimmer than many of my friends, and I told myself that I was OK with that. In an effort to combat depression and lack of energy I started an exercise program. After several months I thought that, working out as often and as hard as I was, surely I was burning calories and a nice side benefit would be losing a few pounds, but for some reason that wasn't happening. I decided to embrace healthier eating and slowly and steadily started to lose weight. Once I got to my goal weight I was so happy and proud, even though I never really acknowledged that I was unhappy at my higher weight.

I think Whitney would like to be slimmer, but she hasn't yet embraced the lifestyle change it would take. It's been a somewhat gradual process for her - when she started gaining she didn't like it but felt she had to accept it due to her PCOS. The larger she got, the deeper she grew into her big, fat, fabulous persona, and she still relates to and embraces that. Yet, there's still that slim Whitney memory, and also the fact that she's just grown out of her comfort zone. I think that if she could lose 100 lbs. she would still not be as slim as she remembers, but be much more healthy and comfortable.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzeecat View Post
    I think Whitney would like to be slimmer, but she hasn't yet embraced the lifestyle change it would take. It's been a somewhat gradual process for her - when she started gaining she didn't like it but felt she had to accept it due to her PCOS. The larger she got, the deeper she grew into her big, fat, fabulous persona, and she still relates to and embraces that. Yet, there's still that slim Whitney memory, and also the fact that she's just grown out of her comfort zone. I think that if she could lose 100 lbs. she would still not be as slim as she remembers, but be much more healthy and comfortable.
    Exactly! It's like what her trainer said: her hormones may play a role in it, but her knife, fork and spoon played a part too.

I'm never going to mock, make rude comments to and otherwise insult someone because they're obese. That being said, how many morbidly obese people do you see in the retirement home? I think it's great if Whitney is happy with her body the way it is, but the fact is that her weight will shorten her life, PCOS or not.

I have a cousin who is morbidly obese and I see the struggles she goes through. She's barely 60 and has extreme difficulty walking and moving; her knees are in terrible shape. I know I'm going to lose my beautiful, wonderful cousin who I love sooner rather than later and it breaks my heart. I'm sure Whitney's parents worry about that too.
    pteney likes this.

I was happy she was so dedicated to working out. I hope that guy knows how to train a morbidly obese person, like Whitney. It reminded me of those scenes from The Biggest Loser. It's great they are working out, but often they pull a muscle or tear something, due to straining too hard or putting too much pressure on a muscle or joint. Then, they have to wait around to recover. I think much of it is done for the cameras sake, IMO. Hopefully, this is not the case with Whitney's trainer. I know it will be rough, but maybe with the trainer, a good eating plan and her support system, she can get her weight down. It was super nice of her dad to offer to pay for the trainer.

I noticed she got very emotional and started to cry when talking to her dad about how she was not doing a lot of things anymore, because she was worried she wouldn't fit in the chair or that she would give out of energy.

I didn't think any of the suits looked that different on her. I thought the bikini wasn't that different from the two piece that covered her belly.

I did get tickled when her guy friend was working the kinks out of her butt. lol

The dog's grave scene was too staged, IMO. I didn't enjoy that.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

This has been the first chance I've had to watch a couple of episodes. I don't see a happy young woman. I see a self-indulgent manipulator. Shan't be watching any more episodes.
    Punkin, Critical, Jax and 1 others like this.
    I'm Paula.

Okay, I think I'm officially done with this show as well. I just watched the episode where the family had a one year memorial service for Georgi, one of their pets who passed away. The mom was getting very emotional reminiscing over Georgi and how deeply she was missing her, and Whitney busted out laughing right in the middle of her mother's speech. I'm thoroughly convinced that girl doesn't care about anybody but herself. That was heartless.
    Punkin, AZChristian, Jax and 1 others like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

I think the mom is totally in on the joke and she's expert at playing with a straight face.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." George Orwell

I was struck in this last episode with how insanely immature Whitney is. Her parents actually had to give her a list of chores, which included getting the dirty dishes out of her room and cleaning out her car. Is she 15?
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread