+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 128 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast
Like Tree1441Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

I've tried, but I just can't take to this girl. I wish her well, but she does not appeal to me. Too many contradictions. Aside from jumping around I see no evidence that she is trying to lose the weight she says is a burden, but did land her a TV show.
    Critical and Jax like this.
    Lynda

Apparently, she doesn't appeal to everyone, but that's the nature of a reality show. I certainly can tolerate her better than many of the reality stars we've seen such as Mama June, Teresa G., Brandi G., Bethenny F., any cast member of Jersey Shore, Kate Gosselin, Lyndsay L. and any Kardashian, so I hope she has a run at a success with her show.

From what I have gathered, TLC wants her show to be about embracing herself and not losing weight. That's my take on it. Of course, her health has to come first. I hope she gets that.
    somegoodname likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Apparently, she doesn't appeal to everyone, but that's the nature of a reality show. I certainly can tolerate her better than many of the reality stars we've seen such as Mama June, Teresa G., Brandi G., Bethenny F., any cast member of Jersey Shore, Kate Gosselin, Lyndsay L. and any Kardashian, so I hope she has a run at a success with her show.

From what I have gathered, TLC wants her show to be about embracing herself and not losing weight. That's my take on it. Of course, her health has to come first. I hope she gets that.
    These are the options? I choose "none of the above"

I don't dislike Whitney, but I think there's a disconnect between what she says and what she does. Maybe she'll watch herself on the show and see it for herself. A lot of times we don't have an accurate view of ourselves because we're too close.
    bamafan and AZChristian like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

She is 30 years old - she needs to move out of her parents' house and take responsibility for herself.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    She is 30 years old - she needs to move out of her parents' house and take responsibility for herself.
    But then who would shave her legs? Sorry, I'm close to my mom, but that would NEVER happen, no matter how much I weighed. I'd either be rocking hairy legs or getting electrolysis.
    Punkin, Maveno and bamafan like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

That's disgusting! Too much mother/daughter intimacy for a 30 year old! I wonder why she doesn't work? It seems she used to be living on her own, does she consider herself too fat to work? Instead of missing that independence, she appears to be quite happy to have mom and dad take care of her.

I know she has fans here and I'm sorry, I know this is insensitive, but there is a reason dancers are thin and svelte. It is a pleasure for us to watch these athletic artists dancing to music. It's beautiful. But her body is neither graceful nor pleasurable to watch. She keeps bringing up visions of the Hippos in Fantasia. And she compares badly to them. If I were Whitney, my goal would be to work in all ways I could to lose the weight so that my body could once again dance with the energy and range of motion her weighty figure lacks sorely at this time. Instead, she seems to think that if she can get up and jump around, she's proven something! That's delusional. It did get her a TV show, though. So there's that.
    benvenuta and AZChristian like this.
    Lynda

She mentioned at the beginning that she previously was working at a job and struggling to make ends meet (no mention of what the job actually was though). Instead of moving in with her parents and not working, why wouldn't she keep working? Living with her parents while still working would allow her to save up some money. It would be good for her independence (and possibly her confidence) to continue to have a job to contribute to society and have some degree of financial independence to at least partially support herself. Yeah, my mom would NEVER help shave my legs either. Of course my parents would also not permit me to live with them if I wasn't in school or working (unless I was injured/sick and unable to do either of those things).

I find Whitney too overdramatic and loud personally. I don't know if I'll keep watching.
    bamafan likes this.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

I suspect Whitney's tv show likes that she lives with her parents. It makes filming easier and gives them more storylines, IMO. Plus, I can't imagine she has many opportunities for employment with her size. She's limited physically by what she can do. She probably can't stand on her feet very long under all that weight, so cashier jobs aren't feasible. And many businesses would not want a morbidly obese person working for them. She attended college, but I don't know if she graduated. She seems pretty bright, so I guess she got the reality show to bring in money. I would guess that she's working on something that will bring in more money as a reality personality such as speaking engagements, appearances, etc. I can't see her small dance class as a real full time job.

I don't think Whitney thinks she looks good dancing. She admits that she stopped dancing even when she was much thinner, because she was so distraught at the way she looked. I think she's just trying to get her life back and moving again. I think she an be an inspiration for obese and disabled people who may have lost faith in their ability to function too.

I guess, I don't consider her obesity a moral issue. I think it's quite complex and involves psychological and medical factors that aren't readily solved with blaming the patient.(And no, I don't believe her PCOS makes her that large.)

Have any of you seen this new show about a writer in the UK who purposefully gains 42 pounds just to see what it's like to be fat and then document how difficult it is to take it off?

FORT Regular

I'm sorry, I tried to like this show but Whitney grates on my nerves. She thinks people are just finding her fascinating when in fact they are laughing at her. You don't get fat from PCOS. Showing all that jiggling fat is anything but appealing. You get that fat from what you put in your mouth, which has to be massive to get that big. She needs to cover up, go on a proper diet & stop showing off.
    Punkin likes this.

I noticed that in the episode where Whitney went grocery shopping, she stated that a proper diet plan was needed in order for her to really lose weight. She said, she couldn't just cut out soft drinks and exercise and lose weight. And she was in that store to buy proper food, so I'm not sure how much more you can do to show you are serious about eating healthy and proper food for weight loss.

Whitney's personality may not be for everyone, but IMO, she shows a lot of heart and courage. If you've never known anyone morbidly obese, I can see how she might bother you. IMO, people are people on the inside. Would she be a horrible person if she was thin?

From what her friends say on the show, Whitney is solid person and always has their back. She's a friend they can count on. That says a lot to me, too.

I laugh a lot at Whitney, but it's not at her weight. I actually think she's funny. IMO, she makes fun of herself a lot, because she wants to do it, before you do it.

I think Whitney's mom is really funny too.
    somegoodname likes this.

+ Reply to Thread