+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree1441Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

This show addresses fat shaming. Apparently, it's one of the last socially acceptable prejudices in our society. Whitney talks about it and how she deals with it.

Oh, I just saw on the news that they have just approved a new weight loss device that has HUGE promise. It's not as invasive as lap band or gastric bypass. They place a small device in your belly that interrupts the hunger signal to the brain. It shows great promise and doesn't have side effects like surgery or pills. You have to be substantially overweight to qualify for it.

For decades our official nutritional policy has been that Gluttony & Sloth are what cause obesity when that's rarely the case. As long as the mantra is "low fat" that will continue to be the case and shaming those who are obese will continue to be socially acceptable. Even when there is a diagnosis of hormonal chaos, like Whitney's PCOS. I haven't watched any episodes, only the sneak preview in which I understood her to say she would deal with her overweight through dance. That's the anti-Sloth approach. Yes, it helps keep the metabolism up but it will never be the answer on its own. What is she saying about diet? Any chance at all she has proper advice on it? As I understand it, her main enemy is insulin resistance and her only chance is low carb. I do like what I saw of her. It should be an interesting family to follow.

I don't know what her diet is going to be. Her dad encouraged her to get on a weight loss plan. They did show her entering into a Duke facility. I'm not sure if that is one in her town, which I think is Greensboro, or if it's at the Duke Medical Center in Durham, to discuss her PCOS. I speculate they will dole out her weight loss journey in episodes with each featuring exercise, diet, medical conditions, etc.

I don't know much about her medical diagnosis. I am curious as to whether people with that condition gain that much weight. She gained over 200 pounds. I would think she's had other things checked such as thyroid. Obesity is a complex issue. I'm curious as to how Whitney will address it.

OMG, I LOVE WHITNEY.

I feel terrible for her as she does struggle so much and she does not want to be this big but she does the BEST SHE CAN with the situation.

I love her Mom, Babs. The Dad, ugh, not so much. :/

She has so much energy and she has a fabulous personality.

What's with her Bro ... he probably is drinking out of the same glass as his Dad .... blah. smh.
    KAREN

They are a typical North Carolina family. Their house looks just like my good friend's house who grew up in Greensboro. I'm to check to see if it is. lol And her mom is so familiar too.

Whitney really is flexible to be as large as she is. Did you see her hold her foot while lying on her side?

I just wonder if she thinks she can lose the weight with exercise only. I know that when I was doing intense workouts for 1-2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week, I could eat almost what I wanted, but I was already thin at the time. Plus, I didn't push it. I still watched my portion size and compensated when I drank alcohol. I'm curious if she will pick a plan or just go by her doctor's recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    This show addresses fat shaming. Apparently, it's one of the last socially acceptable prejudices in our society. Whitney talks about it and how she deals with it.

Oh, I just saw on the news that they have just approved a new weight loss device that has HUGE promise. It's not as invasive as lap band or gastric bypass. They place a small device in your belly that interrupts the hunger signal to the brain. It shows great promise and doesn't have side effects like surgery or pills. You have to be substantially overweight to qualify for it.
    I've always had a problem with treatment for obesity being strictly hunger related. My fat years don't involve huger. I'm not hungry all the time. I don't eat all the time and generally speaking I have low caloric intake and eat healthy foods. At this point in my life metabolism combined with medications is a real situation as is literally not having the time to exercise an hour a day. And joint problems that make any sustained stuff hard. I really bothers me when obesity is boiled down strictly to hunger and food intake when emotional eating isn't all of we fat people's problems. Which is also when I get bothered by the fat shaming when god forbid I go out to eat with a friend or grocery shopping.

So I'm hoping this show will show that it's not about binge eating and emotional eating and that stuff. Because for a lot of us it's different than that.
    Punkin, bamafan and Debb70 like this.

I agree Causingchaos. As I said, obesity is a complex issue. I'm not an emotional eater either. I did seem to have better control over my weight when I could do intense workouts. Physical conditions make that difficult now. I do wonder what Whitney's situation is though, since her father seemed to indicate she needs a food plan. He may not know what's going on either though.

https://www.facebook.com/whitney.thore?fref=ts

I friended Whitney on FB.

Looks like she will be on Dr. Oz today.
    Debb70 likes this.
    KAREN

I didn't have the same experience as the rest of you seem to have had. I want so much to like this show. This is the kind of stuff my mom likes to watch and I've been meaning to tell her about it, but keep forgetting. I'll continue to watch a couple more episodes and love or hate it, I know I'll tell her. I only hope as the show progresses, it gets better than what I've seen so far. I was very disappointed. To me, Whitney has a lot of growing up to do. She appears bubbly for the most part, but also very immature for a 30 year old.

She wants way too much approval. When her dad mentions her weight, she immediately sulks and pouts. Then come the verge-of-tears look. She needs to take a few deep breaths and try to understand where he's coming from, even if she doesn't agree with him. Maybe it's a generational thing.... I don't know. But she really needs to understand that her dad loves her, that he only wants what's best for her, and that he doesn't want to see her fail or unhappy. She claims to already be happy, but it didn't seem that way to me. I felt like she was putting up a front.

She also needs way too much attention. Yes, I know it's her show, but I couldn't believe how she behaved toward her friend Todd when they were dancing for her parents and Todd veered a little off course from they're scripted routine. He barely improvised and she completely stopped dancing, shut down, and yes, sulked again. Then, when he asked her what was wrong, she 'called him out' for trying to embarrass her, and all the while she was completely oblivious to the fact that her over reaction was embarrassing to him. This, from a 30 year old!?
    Punkin likes this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

I can see where Whitney could be a happy person until people insist on talking about her weight (which I mean seriously this is a show about that). At this point I'm a really happy person but you get someone repeatedly feeling the need to talk to me about my weight because they love me (and seriously that's always the phrasing that is used) it gets hurtful. I love lots of people who smoke and don't feel an unending need to to be like I love you and you're great but we really need to talk about your smoking. They know the risks they're taking they don't need me to harp on it.

And this is another of those if she was skinny and living an unhealthy lifestyle food wise (eating crap putting her at risk for cardiovascular issues because skinny people have these same issues) no one would be discussing it (and it certainly wouldn't be a TV show). It's acceptable to be skinny and unhealthy and living an unhealthy lifestyle. You need to be constantly reminded when you're fat that you're fat and that you should change etc.

So yeah that's enough to put anyone happy or not on the verge of tears. No one in the world wants to be continually harassed about their failings regardless of who it is under the guise of people caring about you.

+ Reply to Thread