+ Reply to Thread
Page 122 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2272112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128 LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1271
Like Tree1441Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I'm mostly annoyed that the BGDC accepts guys and they aren't even big guys. I laughed when the choreographer singled out Tal as a good looking but forgettable guy, LOL.
    I thought that was funny too, & if it were me looking for a BIG girl dance class, I would not expect to see guys there, even if they are gay, & yes thin guys, & a skinny teenager. I know she's supposed to be celebrating all shapes & sizes, but then change the class name. I would not be comfy but maybe that's just me.

Jiya's class looks like a bunch of strippers in training. I'm not impressed with that 'style' of 'dance'.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    I couldn't help but notice that both Whitney and, to an even greater degree, the choreographer mostly just stood around watching the other girls (and guys) be put through the paces. The transgender Jenzi person (?) sounded winded as she barked out her orders and, when she and Whitney DID actually move, it was mostly arm movements, as usual. As for the cat stroller outing, they're very lucky that poor cat can't move any faster than they can - at one point, both she and Buddy were basically just trying to prop themselves up and neither had a grip on the cat), or she'd have been playing in traffic and road kill. But her wistful longing for that to be "a family outing only not with Buddy" clued me in that we will come full-circle with a Whitney/Buddy love story line before we're through here.

In short, this show has jumped the shark!
    I was worried about the cat too.

With Whitney & Buddy - that would be very awkward given she's such good friends with his girlfriend, Heather. I guess if they want to write it in everyone will play along though.

They've jumped 12 sharks, maybe more!!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I'm mostly annoyed that the BGDC accepts guys and they aren't even big guys. I laughed when the choreographer singled out Tal as a good looking but forgettable guy, LOL.

Whitney keeps claiming that BGDC is comparable to the Jiya's group, but it isn't. BGDC is about dance that might help with fitness. The Trophy Wives Fitness group is about fitness that's achieved through dance.

The Dance Battle looks to take it up a notch, thanks to the choreographer. I didn't see any indication that Whitney will have another fainting episode. I wonder if Jiya was encouraged to allow Whitney to win this one. Maybe all of Will's conditioning will have paid off.
    I agree that if BGDC's intention is to be inclusive of all body shapes, genders etc., its name should reflect that. Right now, it's name suggests that it's a dance class for big girls, so if someone shows up expecting the class to be for overweight women, and chose that class specifically because that's what that person felt would be most comfortable for her, than she's going to be disappointed--and I'd think the last thing Whitney should want is for a "big girl" to decide to make that first step to get herself out there in a public way (which taking a dance class would be, at least for some people) and then leave feeling discouraged because she felt as if she'd been misled by the group's name into joining a class that wasn't just for people of her size and gender. For that matter, whenever they do a public performance, Whitney makes sure that the slimmer, fitter members of her class are the ones who are featured. I get that they're able to do the more impressive moves, but once again, that has the potential to make the larger, less fit members of her class feel second best which is exactly the sort of feeling that Whitney claims her class is meant to combat.

Given that Whitney's class is supposed to be about encouraging people to feel good about themselves, regardless of size, and to try to improve their fitness, however minimally, through movement, I also wonder why she keeps entering the class members into competitions for which they don't have adequate rehearsal time and which she doesn't consult them about prior to entering them. Why not stick to having them do performances in non-competitive venues or plan far ahead if they're going to compete? And then be realistic with the class about their possibilities of winning and emphasize that winning isn't necessarily the only or most important goal of competing--which ought to be true for any dance team, regardless of the size of its members . Whitney definitely always wants to win and seems to think her reputation is on the line (or at least her ego is) if they don't, which, again, runs counter to what her BGDC is supposed to emphasize.

The Dance Battle is so stupid. It's clearly just something that's been set up for the purpose of the show. If it weren't, and Whitney were really thinking about the members of her class, she should have said that her students aren't in her class to compete but to learn self-acceptance and achieve personal goals of their own, not meet someone else's expectations of what they should be doing or what they should look like. If that's not the purpose of her class, and she really wants them to be more competitive, then she needs to stress fitness/work more in her classes. A lot of the time, it looks like they're more about having fun, which is fine, if that's what the students who are paying for the class want, but if what they're hoping to do is use the class to significantly change their fitness levels, they need a different class.

I'm sure this probably won't happen, but I'd like to see Whitney lose the dance battle and recognize that she should never have allowed her pride to push her students into that situation because that's not really what they're in her class to do. In other words, I'd like to see Whitney look beyond herself and see how her impulsive behavior affects others. Of course, what I'd really like to see is her students tell her that themselves and make it clear to her that they want to take a class to improve their own lives, not be a competitive team she can use to build her brand.

FORT Fogey

I actually bothered to watch tonight's episode (3/14). I didn't think it was possible to be bored by a dance battle, but I was. Seriously, I think I could have beaten both teams, and not only have I never had a dance class in my life, I'm klutzy besides. But when I dance, I can generally move my arms and legs at the same time.

As for Whitney thinking things weren't fair because it wasn't what she expected a dance battle would be like after having looked one up on-line-- good heavens, girl, why did you get involved in a competition BEFORE understanding the rules thereof? And why didn't you think to sit down with your challenger and set up a few guidelines. Then you wouldn't have been surprised by anything. Speaking of which, was the other team aware of the fact that you had decided to hire a choreographer? Maybe they would have preferred you not do that. But since you were deliberately keeping that from them, and using some ringers of your own that aren't really the kind of people you'd expect to be taking a big girls dance class, you can't really complain that they added kids. However, I don't really think that either attempt to one-up each other really worked, as the dances--all of them, on either side--weren't that good. I suspect the Trophy Wives won simply because they moved slightly more. Whitney doesn't really plan dances that require much more than arm movements, and even what little they did make her confess that her feet were "dead" at the end of it. Makes me wonder how far she can even walk without exhausting herself, not to mention how much exercise anyone can really be getting in her class if she's not physically capable of moving much herself, at least not for very long.

Also, after her big speech to her class about how they really won because they hadn't let the contest determine who they are, the previews for the next week show her upset about what she saw on the judges' scoresheets. Why even look at them? It doesn't change anything, and it's not as if she's going to be trying to improve their performances at their next dance battle. It's also not like she can challenge the scores, as it wasn't an official competition. It was just some goofy event cooked up for the show, so why bother to get upset about it? It's just not that important. I'm competitive too, but sometimes, you just have to let it go.
    Punkin and Brooks like this.

Tilden!
    Lynda

That "dance battle" was hilariously awful. As Tilden pointed out, that was hardly dancing.

Has anyone noticed how many of the ladies in the BGDC (and that choreographer for that matter) have the dark ring around their necks? Could ALL of them be diabetic? That's often a sign of insulin issues and can be related to diabetes, PCOS and obesity. I noticed it on the choreographer and then started seeing it on a number of the other women. Kind of scary.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    As for Whitney thinking things weren't fair
    It wouldn't be Whitney if she weren't whining about being the victim. The kids are the perfect cover for that, LOL.

Anyone but Whitney might have expressed some concern over Todd's situation.

I'm so glad Roy found an excuse to avoid the show.

Buddy and Heather in the stands, earning their TLC paycheck by looking as bored and disgusted with the competition as they could.

Does First Annual mean Whitney has to put us through this again next year if TLC renews the contract?

No, Babs, I don't think anyone ever called you a trophy wife. That's not what they would have said about Glen's wife.

Is Piggie now relegated to the courtyard?

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Has anyone noticed how many of the ladies in the BGDC (and that choreographer for that matter) have the dark ring around their necks? Could ALL of them be diabetic? That's often a sign of insulin issues and can be related to diabetes, PCOS and obesity.
    I've noticed and I do tend to think diabetes. Many possibilities, almost none of which are a sign of health.

FORT Fogey

RUN, ROY, RUN!

Now that he's on a weight-loss journey, he might actually have a chance...
    Brooks likes this.

I'm diabetic and I don't have a ring around my neck. I've never ever heard of that. Anyway, How is it possible that Buddy only weighs 20 lbs less than Whitney? She's twice bigger than him! They say muscle weighs more than fat, so he must be all muscle!

It happens mainly when diabetes isn't monitored. The ring, acanthosis nigricans, is the result of too much insulin and is really more obvious on darker skin.

Buddy isn't all muscle. He's got some muscle under A LOT of fat. He's just taller than Whitney. To be all muscle he'd have to actually do something to BUILD muscle.

It's always shocking to me to see how much people who don't look at all the same size can be really close in weight. Years ago, I worked with a young man who was maybe 6'5" or 6'6" and 250 lbs and a woman who was maybe 5'0" and she weighed 250 lbs too. I would look at them both and my brain just could not process the information. He was a BIG boy (down from 350lbs, btw) and she was clearly very overweight, but I never would have guessed that they weighed the same. It was shocking. I still think about them from time and time and still can't wrap my mind around it.

The previews of Babs saying that she'd love it if Whitney was dating Brad Pitt =
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread