+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 1267
Like Tree1437Likes

Thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

  1. #101
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    48
    Posts
    20,813

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    I've really tried watching this season, but I don't think I can do it. Whitney is so embarrassingly immature. The thing with her stealing her mother's jewelry.....how OLD is this person!? Grow the hell up. She needs to take responsibility for herself and her health and stop playing around. I found myself cringing multiple times in last week's episodes. Her parents are so sweet, but it's clear they don't know what to do with or for their daughter any more.

    So, when the doctor told her she was one tenth of a point from a diabetes diagnosis THAT'S when she decides she should do something about her weight? Because being 4 tenths of a point away wasn't a dire enough warning?

    One thing's for sure, that so-called dietician needs to be shown the door. She was just telling Whitney what she wanted to hear. That crap about not being able to tell if someone is healthy/unhealthy based on their size? When she's sitting opposite someone who's a millimeter away from being a diabetic as a result of her weight? Whitney's 5'2" and weighs nearly 400 lbs. I'm not a medical professional, but I can tell you that's not healthy and it WILL lead to health problems (I mean, it already has).

    She talks about dancing so much, but it looked to me like her friend was doing more of the dancing/teaching in her class and Whitney was watching. She did the routine with them once and was so out of breath she looked like she was going to throw up.

    Her hooting and catcalling over a shirtless Buddy in the kitchen was just cringe worthy. Good grief. Pull it together.

    I guess Iím just tired of all her excuses and her childish behavior. If I keep watching, it will be "hate watching."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  2. #102
    FORT Fogey harleyswife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    846

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    She is very immature. But I admire her confidence. She's a big girl and not ashamed to flaunt it. LOL. There's no way in hell I'd be walking around in just a sports bra...maybe in my own house, but def not on TV for all the world to see.

  3. #103
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,934

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    Whitney may not be for everyone, but for some I think she offers a lot of inspiration and entertainment. I think she's really changed her attitude and approach this season. She is kicking herself for not doing more sooner, but you can't rewrite history. You have to pick up and take responsibility in the present. She seems genuine to me. ( I have friends who are Type I diabetics who have been hospitalized multiple times with ketoacidosis and they still do not get their blood sugars down. And they are thin. It's a complex issue.)

    I suspect that some scenes like the one with her mom and the jewelry are staged or exaggerated. It doesn't bother me. I think it's all in fun. Like her mom walking out to the pool in panty hose.

    Whitney seems to be keeping a level head. She picked a modest house that she could afford. She kept to a budget for her furniture and didn't mind buying used. I think that's refreshing. I have noticed that on several occasions Whitney has paid for things with a check. I found that odd. Does anyone know why she would be paying by check instead of a card?

    I guess we shall see how Whitney does with her program. Her weight and A1C are out there and the viewers will expect an update. I know that has to be a lot of pressure. There are different opinions and theories on health care and weight loss. Even doctors disagree about various approaches. I certainly do support Whitney in her journey.

  4. #104
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    10,734

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've really tried watching this season, but I don't think I can do it. Whitney is so embarrassingly immature. The thing with her stealing her mother's jewelry.....how OLD is this person!? Grow the hell up. She needs to take responsibility for herself and her health and stop playing around. I found myself cringing multiple times in last week's episodes. Her parents are so sweet, but it's clear they don't know what to do with or for their daughter any more.

    So, when the doctor told her she was one tenth of a point from a diabetes diagnosis THAT'S when she decides she should do something about her weight? Because being 4 tenths of a point away wasn't a dire enough warning?

    One thing's for sure, that so-called dietician needs to be shown the door. She was just telling Whitney what she wanted to hear. That crap about not being able to tell if someone is healthy/unhealthy based on their size? When she's sitting opposite someone who's a millimeter away from being a diabetic as a result of her weight? Whitney's 5'2" and weighs nearly 400 lbs. I'm not a medical professional, but I can tell you that's not healthy and it WILL lead to health problems (I mean, it already has).

    She talks about dancing so much, but it looked to me like her friend was doing more of the dancing/teaching in her class and Whitney was watching. She did the routine with them once and was so out of breath she looked like she was going to throw up.

    Her hooting and catcalling over a shirtless Buddy in the kitchen was just cringe worthy. Good grief. Pull it together.

    I guess Iím just tired of all her excuses and her childish behavior. If I keep watching, it will be "hate watching."

    Oh wow, really?

    I had no idea that was Whitney's weight.

    She is then in the category of being labeled morbidly obese. Which is horribly sad. And to be so young.

    Oh boy Whitney so needs some serious help.

    In my opinion, she needs to serious help to get that weight off.

    The complications from being morbidly obese are scary.



    The major symptoms of obesity are excessive weight gain and the presence of large amounts of fatty tissue. Obesity can also give rise to several secondary conditions, including:
    arthritis and other orthopedic problems, such as lower back pain
    hernias
    heartburn
    adult-onset asthma
    gum disease
    high cholesterol levels
    gallstones
    high blood pressure
    menstrual irregularities or cessation of menstruation (amenorhhea)
    decreased fertility, and pregnancy complications
    shortness of breath that can be incapacitating
    sleep apnea and sleeping disorders
    skin disorders arising from the bacterial breakdown of sweat and cellular material in thick folds of skin or from increased friction between folds
    emotional and social problems
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

  5. #105
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    48
    Posts
    20,813

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Oh wow, really?

    I had no idea that was Whitney's weight.

    She is then in the category of being labeled morbidly obese. Which is horribly sad. And to be so young.

    Oh boy Whitney so needs some serious help.

    In my opinion, she needs to serious help to get that weight off.

    The complications from being morbidly obese are scary.
    It actually puts her in the super obese category by quite a lot. I thought she was heavier than 380 in the last episode I watched, but I can't remember what that number was. Her BMI at 380 is 69.5. Over 50 is super obese. To put that into perspective, if she was 7'2", she would still be in the morbidly obese category.

    She just seems to have no concept of how very dangerous her weight is. I have known several people who were obese and claimed to be healthy or, rather, any health issues they had weren't serious enough for them to do anything to lose weight. By the time things got bad enough for them to get serious about losing weight, it was too late.

    I tend to believe her bubbly personality is a cover for a lot of pain. It would be nice if she'd let that go a bit and take her health more seriously.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  6. #106
    addicted MamaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,667

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    Another thing that she does is she blames her obesity on having PCOS. Anyone remember when Kate Gosselin claimed she had to have fertility treatments due to having PCOS? As much as Kate drives me crazy, I don't think she was ever considered obese.

    I don't know how long Meghan has had the diagnosis of PCOS, but I think she started putting on the weight while in college and ever since. She has admitted to having a lousy diet, eating once a day or skipping breakfast, eating lots of carbs, snacking, etc., so she must accept that her diet is most likely more of an issue with her weight than she is giving it and definitely more of an issue than having PCOS!

    I do give her props for putting her life out there on a show, wearing a two-piece bathing suit, wearing a sports bra like it is a shirt, etc., but I also agree that underneath she is probably hiding her unhappiness.

    One last thing, I have never in my life heard of anyone wearing pantyhose while wearing a bathing suit. What is up with that???

  7. #107
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,934

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    I don't see where she is in denial about her weight issue this season. She's not claiming to be healthy. This season she has cried multiple times about her regret that she didn't do something more drastic sooner. She has expressed her fear and determination to get her health back. She acknowledges the things she can't do anymore and how she wants that to change. I think it takes a lot of courage for her to take this journey so publicly.

    She's under the care of an Endocrinologist who specializes in Diabetes. She's seeing a Nutritionist who focuses on Diabetics, she's swimming and doing water aerobics, she had a bike made for her so she could ride her bike for exercise, she's walking and even completed a 5K, she's changed her diet and cut out the sweet coffee drinks and unhealthy carbs, she has put her health as a priority and teamed up with her dad for support. I'm not sure what more a person can do. Ultimately, it's up to her. The viewers will see how things go. If she's not successful, perhaps she will explore bariatric surgery. That is one option, though it has its own set of potential consequences. I guess that could be considered serious help, but there is no quick fix for obesity. It's a complex issue and there is no magical treatment.

  8. #108
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    48
    Posts
    20,813

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I don't see where she is in denial about her weight issue this season. She's not claiming to be healthy. This season she has cried multiple times about her regret that she didn't do something more drastic sooner. She has expressed her fear and determination to get her health back. She acknowledges the things she can't do anymore and how she wants that to change. I think it takes a lot of courage for her to take this journey so publicly.

    She's under the care of an Endocrinologist who specializes in Diabetes. She's seeing a Nutritionist who focuses on Diabetics, she's swimming and doing water aerobics, she had a bike made for her so she could ride her bike for exercise, she's walking and even completed a 5K, she's changed her diet and cut out the sweet coffee drinks and unhealthy carbs, she has put her health as a priority and teamed up with her dad for support. I'm not sure what more a person can do. Ultimately, it's up to her. The viewers will see how things go. If she's not successful, perhaps she will explore bariatric surgery. That is one option, though it has its own set of potential consequences. I guess that could be considered serious help, but there is no quick fix for obesity. It's a complex issue and there is no magical treatment.
    She literally said something like "Now I really need to get serious about losing the weight" after meeting with the doctor and finding out she was one-tenth of a point from diabetes. She'd tested at four-tenths of a point away before, but apparently didn't think that was when she needed to get serious. Is that one-tenth really some magical number where, before 6.5, she not doing any damage to her body?

    Maybe she will make the changes she needs to make, but she hasn't shown that she's serious before this. She seems like the kind of person who gets away with as much as she can - and does as little as possible - and then when that has negative consequences, she cries about it and vows to do better. The thing is though, the only person she's hurting is herself (and, I guess, her family and friends, since she's endangering her life).

    I hope she doesn't opt for WLS. If she doesn't address her food issues, the surgery won't help her. She seems to get more exercise than the average (nearly) 400 lb person, so it's got to be about food.

    MamaC - I know several women, including a close h.s. friend, who have PCOS. They maintain healthy weights and one has 4 children. She got pregnant four times, is slender AND has PCOS. I think it's one of those things - if you want an excuse, you'll find one. If Whitney lost even 10% of her body weight, the PCOS symptoms would lessen.

    Remember when Kirstie Alley lost all that weight and went on Oprah in a bikini? That's the only time I've ever seen someone wear one with pantyhose. It looked ridiculous with that big old seam up her tummy.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  9. #109
    Red Sox Nation Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,908

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    As long as doctors pretend that diabetes starts at 6.5, people like Whitney will coast until that threshold is looming before them. And meanwhile they will have incurred a lot of unnecessary damage and it will be so much harder to get their condition under control.
    Punkin and Critical like this.

  10. #110
    FORT Fogey Jupiter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,771

    Re: My Big Fat Fabulous Life (TLC)

    I haven't watched this show much. I watched a couple of episodes last season, including the one where Whitney's doctor's office put her on notice about her lab work that she was teetering toward diabetes. Her mother and father talked with her about it and seemed supportive. I happened to catch the new season opener the other evening. I thought I'd might see Whitney down quite a few pounds since last season, but no....she looks about the same. Kind of left me scratching my head a little. Whitney seems like a nice young lady....a good sense of humor and self-deprecating. But something about her.....well I don't care for. I think its fine she has accepted her body as is and at least says she is working toward better health....but her look says differently as do some of her actions. Now....before you think I'm being too critical of Whitney....please note that I am heavy as well. I'm not as heavy as Whitney...but I'm a big gal. I know all about the struggles that come from losing weight..especially when you have a lot to lose. Its easy to become discouraged even depressed. I'm assuming Whitney has given the production crew permission to film her, for instance, underwater when her bathing suit bottoms are sliding under her pendulous belly. I don't know if Whitney finds that funny....or being honest and owning her appearance....I sort of see it as unnecessary. We can clearly see how big Whitney is. Watching her belly and boobs flopping around in the water I'm assuming for emphasis on her size and her outstanding attitude about herself just doesn't make any sense.

    Obviously Whitney is very large....she seems to want to have a positive outlook on life and taps into her positive side to deal with her weight issues. I'm not sure if I'm saying this right....but Whitney talks a lot about her problems...the PCOS..the Diabetes...PCOS...Diabetes...P COS...Diabetes...we got it Whitney! Now let's see what you're going to do to turn this ship around. You can't go to water aerobics just once and lose weight...we've seen you dance, but frankly no weight is coming off. You can talk about diabetes and carbs...but you have to do something about it; and no, being diabetic does NOT mean you live the rest of your life with no carbs. That's just ridiculous. I know about that too.

    Anyway...I probably won't watch this show much. I guess she means well but I find Whitney annoying. Honey...watch the portion control...put the fork down and push away from the table. Its a great place to begin.
    Punkin and Critical like this.
    I don't always act like a bitch; but when I do, I'm the lead float in the bitch parade.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.